Marathon Runners - Gel Packs??

Options
Marathon Runners - if you use gel packs, how many do you consume before and during a marathon???

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Powergel Tangerine, one at the start and one every 6 miles or 45 minutes.
  • lizibk
    lizibk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I dont have any before (i have toast 3hrs before start, banana hour before) and Ill have 4 gels over course of the race but I have also started using jelly babies as an alternative (feels like more of a treat at 16miles!!)...
    Ive suffered in the past by not taking on enough food/drink during races so am trying to train with plenty now... Experiment and see what works for you...
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I make my own honey packets instead of gel packs because the energy lasts me longer, but I have one packet, which is about a tablespoon, every 45 minutes.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Powergel Tangerine, one at the start and one every 6 miles or 45 minutes.

Best stuff ever!
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I use the honey packs I eat a full breakfast at least an hour or two before then every 6 milesa honey pack.
  • IHTSM
    IHTSM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have those little shot block things - 1 per 20 minutes-ish
    Also Nunn electrolyte tabs for salt (the GREATEST thing I've ever discovered)

And I am going to start trying instead of the shot blocks, little potatoes, baked with some olive oil and salt. Less sugar. A friend of mine swears by it but I havent tried yet. I'd still recommend the Nunn tabs for shizzel!
  • emilyruth4
    Options
    1, fifteen to twenty minutes before and 1 every 5-6 miles during. PRACTICE USING THEM. just in case you have stomach problems and to find flavors you wont gag over. vanilla bean, orange and lemon sublime are my favorite. all with caffeine.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) The reason I'm asking is because I use them, I like them, but yesterday I heard that my cousin's husband (marathoner and triathlete) takes them every 20 mins or so . . . wondering if I should try taking them more often these next few weeks before the race. I have been taking one before and one every 45 mins or so . . .
  • emilyruth4
    Options
    Id say that if you find something that works stick with it. dont change right before the race. if you train for another in the future you can try it a different way, if you wish.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Id say that if you find something that works stick with it. dont change right before the race. if you train for another in the future you can try it a different way, if you wish.

Well, I did 34km on yesterday (longest distance to date) and I finished ok, but would like to finish stronger, and was wondering if increasing my gel packs to every 30 mins or so instead of 45 mins may help that.
  • carrie3083
    carrie3083 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Agreed that tangerine is awesome. Green apple is another favorite. I usually have about four. Every 20 mins would make me sick but maybe would be fine for some.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have never ran a full, only a half, but I think every 20 min is too much! How does he carry that many during training runs?? I take 1 ever hour, or 2 for a race! I couldn't imagine taking that many, I would have the trots!!!
  • emilyruth4
    Options
    i honestly dont think increasing the gels will specifically make your finish stronger. Personally i'd recommend continued training to improve your finish, especially if that was your first 34km. I'd stick with every 45 minutes.