Getting so annoyed, about to pack it all in!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I know you are frustrated, and I really do feel your pain... and I am one of those horrible people telling you to eat more (I'm in no way an expert, just sharing my personal experience).

Carbs are your friend, so long as they are natural carbs and not the "manufactured/processed" carbs. I have struggled with the not being able to hit my calorie goal for a while, and then when I started gaining again (it wasn't a lot it was a pound every other week) eating 1200 calories or less I really had to stop and look at what I was eating. It is truely a balancing game!

With your hatred for nuts (is it every nut, or just peanuts?) finding another good natural source of protien/fat that will help boost your calorie intake is tough, but so achievable!

How do you feel about olive oil? A small coating of olive oil on your veggies and roasting them is not only quite tasty, but also adds to your calorie count and is a healthy fat that your body really needs. Be careful not to over-do it, make sure you measure don't just willy-nilly it. Greek yogurt is another good source (for you I would suggest the full fat versions, not the fat free like I get), another good healthy calorie adder. There are a lot of good sources out there for adding healthy calories!

If you have hit your healthy fat intake and just need a nice calorie boost, a baked potato is great to help you out, and it is also nice and filling. Make sure you eat the skin and don't overload it with too many additions. I usually add a couple squirts of parkay spray and a little salad supreme (adds 15 calories for both) and is delish!

Good luck and don't give up. You are definitely on the right track, and doing a great job!
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Just eat an extra serving of what you are already eating, since that is the food that you like, to add calories.
  • Pulka_Dot
    Pulka_Dot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is a good calorie filler as well as a good post-workout recovery drink. However, it sounds like, with your kidney disease, you need to talk to a nutritionist or dietician and get a professional opinion rather than a bunch of yahoos on a web site. Good luck!

^Exactly. A RD or Nutritionist is your best and safest option. You have a condition that requires a somewhat special diet.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to learn to like foods with good (unsaturated) fats. The "I just hate them" sounds very childish.

I can go "I need to loose weight but I HATE everything but burgers and donuts, give me a healthy diet that works with these restrictions". I may not be a fan of many veggies, but I've learned to like them, because of what they do for me. I come up with different ways of preparing them, or incorporating them into dishes. That is part of being an adult.

P.S. You might hate nuts because you only had bad packaged ones. Try buying fresh untoasted ones from bulk bins and roasting them yourself. They can be delicious.

Exactly, you need to eat foods high in good unsaturated fats, they are ESSENTIAL for health and reaching your calorie goals without protein. And as someone who used to/struggles with restricting, 1000 calories IS low. Either you are underestimating (this VERY common, use actual measuring cups and food scales, I've seen very few people who are actually eating under 1200 for every person who claims to), or you need to eat bigger portions of the healthy foods you do eat. "I don't like it" is no excuse. "I'm allergic" is a better one, but if so you need to see a dietitian because protein is essential to building muscles.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Well, having a food allergy is very different from "just hating" a food. You seem to have medical reasons to avoid nuts as well as excessive amounts of protein. Instead of getting angry at those suggestions, why not take into consideration that nutrition advice is NEVER one-size-fits-all? Medical conditions trump internet diet advice EVERY time. Listen to your doctor and base your MFP goals on that, rather than what everyone else is doing. It's the ONE time that "special snowflake" DOES exist.

Oils such as olive and coconut as well as fatty fish are great sources of healthy fats, and eating healthy fats is going to be the best way to increase calorie consumption without increasing protein. Eat an oil-heavy salad dressing on greens, for example. And, if you're reasonable about it (regarding overall saturated fat intake), there's no reason not to eat plenty of full fat cheese, whole milk, etc. You can definitely increase your healthy carbs, too, especially beans, whole grains, sweet potatoes, etc, but if you're already having a problem eating enough volume-wise that might be counter-productive.

If all you want to do is build up some muscle and not lose weight, why are you doing any cardio at all? All cardio will do for you is increase your overall endurance a little and then create a bigger calorie deficit for you. Since you're having trouble eating up to your calorie goals, I'd suggest just focusing on the lifting and backing off on the cardio even more than you already have.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    If all you want to do is build up some muscle and not lose weight, why are you doing any cardio at all? All cardio will do for you is increase your overall endurance a little and then create a bigger calorie deficit for you. Since you're having trouble eating up to your calorie goals, I'd suggest just focusing on the lifting and backing off on the cardio even more than you already have.

Also seconding this. If you're not trying to lose weight why do cardio at all. I'd look into strength training and lifting if I were you, that will take away the flab. Cardio results in smaller but equally proportional flab.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

1) I want to lose body fat, I have the awful post baby belly wobble. I don't want to lose weight!

2) I either try to eat as healthy as I can, but barely reach 1200 calories GROSS!! Or I end up eating things that are deemed not so healthy just to boost it up. I cannot win.

3) I get told to cut out crap and up my calories, but when I do I just can't get enough calories (I have re-planned my tomorrows diary and I am on 1009 calories, tomorrow is my gym day where I generally burn around 300-350ish calories (I will add now the past few days have been really bad food wise)). I get told to eat MORE protein and to view the "goal" as a minimum rather than a maximum, but I can't as I have kidney disease and need to monitor my protein intake.

4) I then get told eat peanut butter, nuts, avocado etc, but I do not like them. As is I HATE them!

So how? Please tell me? How the hell do I eat enough calories, not go over my protein and not eat crap like chocolate to boost it up?

I am about ready to give up the calorie counting!

5) *sorry for the rant*

1) Strength train

2) Eat "healthy" whole foods and have a treat at the end of the day. Like ice cream or cookies. Just make sure you're within a healthy calorie deficit

3) Monitor your protein intake. Keep it low as per your doctors orders. Make up the extra calories with fats or carbohydrates.

4) Salmon, tuna, steak, and bacon are all perfectly healthy fats as well. Still do try to include nuts and seeds in your diet.

5) Don't worry about it.

I agree with this! I don't have any issue with meeting or exceeding my calories because I love food, lol! I took a peek at your diary. Just a suggestion based on your entry from today: It looks like you made a sandwich at lunch with half a crossaint and 1 slice of ham.....add some more ham (if you can due to protein factor) and eat the whole dang crossaint next time. Or add some slices of cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce. And then at dinner you had one cheese quesadilla and some chicken. How about adding some rice, black beans, or a vegetable like broccoli, green beans, carrots? My hubby cooks but he has finally learned now that I insist on well-rounded meals for us as a family. He may think steak & potatoes is fine for him, but he better make some steamed broccoli or aspargus to go with it. My kids don't always eat it, they are picky little ones as they all are at some point, but we always serve it. Sometimes they surprise us and gobble it up!

Some days it looks like you skipped lunch. Don't do that! I know there are some days where you just may not feel hungry or are busy, but try to eat something! Some weekends when running around with the kids my lunches consist more of snacks like pita bread & hummus, carrots & cherry tomatoes dipped in light ranch dressing, crackers with sliced cheese and pepperoni slices. I eat 3 meals a day and at least 2 snacks, sometimes 3. Things like granola/fiber/cereal bars, greek yogurt, fresh fruits (strawberries, blueberries, clementimes, apples....I LOVE apples and peanut butter), carrots, sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, etc.

You sound like you may have a nut allergy, but they make stuff like apple butter, almond butter, and such that may be a good alternative for you.

Editing to add that I agree on eggs! I like 'em scrambled, over-medium, hardboiled, deviled, benedicted....yummy! And I also have a piece of dark chocolate everyday after lunch. The little pre-packaged Dove or Hershey pieces are about 40-45 cal a piece. I love them and could not cut them out EVER.

I hope you can find some snacks and alternatives to fit into your diet! Good luck!
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options

1) I want to lose body fat, I have the awful post baby belly wobble. I don't want to lose weight!

2) I either try to eat as healthy as I can, but barely reach 1200 calories GROSS!! Or I end up eating things that are deemed not so healthy just to boost it up. I cannot win.

3) I get told to cut out crap and up my calories, but when I do I just can't get enough calories (I have re-planned my tomorrows diary and I am on 1009 calories, tomorrow is my gym day where I generally burn around 300-350ish calories (I will add now the past few days have been really bad food wise)). I get told to eat MORE protein and to view the "goal" as a minimum rather than a maximum, but I can't as I have kidney disease and need to monitor my protein intake.

4) I then get told eat peanut butter, nuts, avocado etc, but I do not like them. As is I HATE them!

So how? Please tell me? How the hell do I eat enough calories, not go over my protein and not eat crap like chocolate to boost it up?

I am about ready to give up the calorie counting!

5) *sorry for the rant*

1) Strength train

2) Eat "healthy" whole foods and have a treat at the end of the day. Like ice cream or cookies. Just make sure you're within a healthy calorie deficit

3) Monitor your protein intake. Keep it low as per your doctors orders. Make up the extra calories with fats or carbohydrates.

4) Salmon, tuna, steak, and bacon are all perfectly healthy fats as well. Still do try to include nuts and seeds in your diet.

5) Don't worry about it.

This. *hugs*
    I hope you find what works for you. I eat about 2000 cals, and if I find I've got 500 cals left, hey, I get chocolate :P
    Whatever works :D
  • whispersyou
    Options
    I found that I'm not good at sticking to the rabbit-food type diet. And less than 1200 calories isn't any good anyway and rather than fill it with junk I made more reasonable expectations for myself. I updates MFP profile so that I would lose about a pound a week. I've honestly seen better results with it by giving myself an extra hundred calories or so. I eat everything I want (snacks included!), but I try not to go over. I do lots of cardio, and I've just started lifting weights to assist in toning.

I'm a believer in eating the things that I want. I always opt for healthy choices when possible, but I won't deny myself a bit of chocolate here, or a small cup of ice cream there (with peanut butter! that's my favorite!) and that helps me stay on track.

Considering your health restrictions, I would suggest meeting with a dietian if possible, to maybe go over the foods that will optimize nutrition and also meet your calorie goals. It's all doable! Don't give up!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Add some saturated fats to up your calories but not your protein. Maybe coconut oil and butter?
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to learn to like foods with good (unsaturated) fats. The "I just hate them" sounds very childish.

I can go "I need to loose weight but I HATE everything but burgers and donuts, give me a healthy diet that works with these restrictions". I may not be a fan of many veggies, but I've learned to like them, because of what they do for me. I come up with different ways of preparing them, or incorporating them into dishes. That is part of being an adult.

P.S. You might hate nuts because you only had bad packaged ones. Try buying fresh untoasted ones from bulk bins and roasting them yourself. They can be delicious.

Well I would like to like them, but whenever I have had nuts I get a bumpy rash all round my neck and cheeks. As for avocado, well I guess that is something I will have to try more and more of.

Have you evern had any allergy testing done? I think you'll find out that knowing exactly what you're allergic to will help you find acceptable high-calorie foods. And if you're not carrying an Epi-pen, you might need one. Severity of past reactions is not a predictor of all future reactions.
  • nobleammonite
    nobleammonite Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well, having a food allergy is very different from "just hating" a food. You seem to have medical reasons to avoid nuts as well as excessive amounts of protein. Instead of getting angry at those suggestions, why not take into consideration that nutrition advice is NEVER one-size-fits-all? Medical conditions trump internet diet advice EVERY time. Listen to your doctor and base your MFP goals on that, rather than what everyone else is doing. It's the ONE time that "special snowflake" DOES exist.

Oils such as olive and coconut as well as fatty fish are great sources of healthy fats, and eating healthy fats is going to be the best way to increase calorie consumption without increasing protein. Eat an oil-heavy salad dressing on greens, for example. And, if you're reasonable about it (regarding overall saturated fat intake), there's no reason not to eat plenty of full fat cheese, whole milk, etc. You can definitely increase your healthy carbs, too, especially beans, whole grains, sweet potatoes, etc, but if you're already having a problem eating enough volume-wise that might be counter-productive.

High five. This post wins.

Whoops - fail! Edit to quote the post I was referring to.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Well I would like to like them, but whenever I have had nuts I get a bumpy rash all round my neck and cheeks.

Stop rubbing nuts on your neck and cheeks.
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I really do appreciate all the advice giving and it is always taken on board. I think I am just having a crappy day overall. My kids are both ill, I am stuck indoors, and being self-employed I have had to cancel my work for the rest of the week (no relevance to MFP or my diet, just my mood in general)

As for the cardio question, because of my kidney disease I have high blood pressure for which I take two different tablets for twice a day, I also take iron tablets twice a day, and because of all this I also have high cholesterol for which I take more tablets for each night.

I carry on with the cardio to improve my overall fitness and health. Not to lose weight, if that makes sense.

I like the idea of adding olive oil. I usually dry fry meat, so instead I will be adding some olive oil. will also look at perhaps having another "mini meal"

I am not seeing my renal consultant until 22nd May, but I will ask for a referral to a dietician. They have mentioned it before in the past but nothing came of it, so I might need to push that one.

Thank you again for all your comments.

xxx
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Eat bigger portions of the same stuff / simply add a few more meals of the same ingredients...
    I mean tbh, if you can't meet your goals eating clean, then eat clean and junk food - if they add up your macros include them! :drinker:
  • Pwhatley07
    Options
    You are so close, don't give up. I am just starting and I am sure I will have those days too. :(