Lost Fat but Gained Weight. What does that mean?

Options
This past week I didn't follow my diet as I normally do but I kept drinking plenty of water. On the scale I gained 3lbs and lost 2 points in fat. What does that mean? I didn't do any strength training but I did walk more than usual.

Thanks!

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It means your scale is not accurate. Or it's recalculating your lean mass and you've gained water weight but body fat stayed the same. Scales are notoriously inaccurate. I wouldn't depend on those numbers other than for an overall trend over time and not on isolated measurement.
  • oklahomapoet
    oklahomapoet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. The scale is not really an accurate representation of progress. Instead take measurements and get your BMI checked. In this case, I would say it means you have lost fat and gained muscle. You are on the right track!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It means your scale is not accurate. Or it's recalculating your lean mass and you've gained water weight but body fat stayed the same. Scales are notoriously inaccurate. I wouldn't depend on those numbers other than for an overall trend over time and not on isolated measurement.

Agreed.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. The scale is not really an accurate representation of progress. Instead take measurements and get your BMI checked. In this case, I would say it means you have lost fat and gained muscle. You are on the right track!
    No, OP has not gained muscle in 1 week.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    No, OP has not gained muscle in 1 week.

Let's see....a woman in a calorie deficit over 1 weeks time?? Nahhhhh! :noway:
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If your scale is one of those you stand on and it measures via electric current, then if your water content increase (i.e. body water %) then body fat % has to decrease. It's a seesaw - you need to be sure to be equally hydrated each time you use it.

They're not accurate enough for anything other than long term trends really.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Another vote for an inaccurate scale. Scales are horribly inaccurate at measuring BF. The water in your body at the time you weigh has a significant impact on the reading.
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I read that the time of day you weigh yourself and if you just showered makes a diff too on the body fat reading. I was hoping that there was more to it than just innacurate reading. :tongue: Thanks for the replies!