Did I wait long enough after shin splints?

Options
Okay so on Thursday I had to stop running do to painful shin splints. It was awful. My legs feel fine now, no pain at all. So you guys think that 4 days of rest is a long enough break? Should I go running tonight? I haven't worked out in 3 days. I really need to go run. What do you guys think? Thanks MFP Fam!

Replies

• DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    get back at it slowly. If you run tonight run 1/2 of what you normally would and wait 2-3 days before you go again. Make sure you are pain free. GL
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you're gonna run, walk first, at about half or even 3/4ths of what you're planning to run. Run light, and little, take it easy and be super patient, practice self-restraint otherwise you'll get them back. When I had them I had to take almost a month break to recover cause I would ignore them until they got worse, so take it easy, and don't run daily at first, I totally agree with Dizzieferg's advice.
  • sweetrevenge
    sweetrevenge Posts: 188
    Options
    Ugh.....I kind of thought you guys might say this.....The only problem with this is that I have 3 slipped disks in my back and when I walk for more than just a couple of minutes my right foot goes completely numb. It's a terrible feeling and leaves me unable to walk. I know this sounds weird but when I run I don't get this numbness in my foot. So walking is not an option for me. I know that a numb foot doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but believe me to walk and not be able to feel your foot is awful. I'm doing the C2 5K, so I think I will just run light and cut it back to 10 minutes instead of 20.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    How are you warming up before your run? That could be where the splints came from. Is it possible that you could be fitted with a special running shoe that would help with your back? (Like an orthodic). I know not even the main topic here, just thinking. LOL
  • candicemcl
    candicemcl Posts: 59
    Options
    I was dealing with them too, I took 2 days off to ice and rest most of the day do some stretching, then the next day I missed my walk/jog too much so I decided to just cut back on how much I did. I went 3km had some pain so I stopped and did some stretches I had seen that I needed to be warmed up to do, did them for about 10 minutes and legs felt alot better, so I kept going lol, I did 4.5km total that night instead of my regular 5km I try to hit. Still have some discomfort but the stretching really does help. I took the weekend off and went yesterday out with same thing, did about half then stopped and lots of stretching and finished off doing 3.5km
    So try some mid way stretching, and see how it goes, cut back on how long of a run you are doing for a bit.
    Good Luck!