Different workouts to do at the gym?

Options
So, I go to great gym. No one is judge-y, it's HUGE (and they're expanding) and there is so much equipment there. But, since I'm new to this, I don't even know where to start! I get bored easily doing one thing for too long. Does anyone know a good schedule to use? I.E., Monday is kettlebell day, Wednesday is treadmill/elliptical day, Friday is spinning day, etc?

Obviously, I can come up with my own, but I'm looking to use as much equipment as possible to keep myself from being bored! Any tips are appreciated, even if it's just what different equipment you like to use! :smile:

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    First thing is find a good, basic lifting program. I'd suggest a full body program with squats, deadlifts, bent over rows, military press and bench press 1 warm-up set, 2 sets at a weight that fatigues your muscles in 10 reps or less. Do this 2-3 times a week. The other days you go to the gym, do whatever cardio strikes your fancy. Go to a hip hop or spinning class. Do intervals on the elliptical. Try out the Couch to 5K program on the treadmill, etc.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Is it necessary to lift at this point (just started working out)? I figured I would focus on the cardio and get to lifting once I start seeing a marked improvement in weight? Or am I wrong there?
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    Unbelievable, I am my own thread killer. *bump*
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you're wanting to do the cardio machines (elliptical, treadmill, stair machine), try watching tv, listening to an e-book or watching a movie on NetFlix on your phone to prevent boredom. Otherwise, try some classes at your gym (if they offer any). The class activities normally vary from day to day so you shouldn't get as bored.

About strength training, you probably could start strength training now. I don't see any reason why you should lose weight before starting strength training. Plus, at the least, it will help you maintain any lean muscle mass you currently have. Here are some good resources:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/02/28/strength-training-101/
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/11/the-beginners-guide-to-building-muscle-and-strength/
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/03/10/angry-birds-workout-plan/ ***I do this one***

Personally I enjoy spin, zumba, and yoga classes. Otherwise I like to exercise outside by running or cycling. I throw in some body weight exercises too. If I were to exercise in a gym, I would either use the treadmill or elliptical. I would start at a slightly easy pace for a warm up and then start my workout. Here you can vary things--you can fluctuate the incline and/or speed, or keep both at a moderately difficult level throughout your entire workout. It's up to you. Then I cool down for 5-10 minutes. You probably should stretch after your workout, but I'm bad and normally skip it...

You'll have to try a variety of activities before you find something that you enjoy. I used to hate running but now I really enjoy it.

Hope that helps!
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Is it necessary to lift at this point (just started working out)? I figured I would focus on the cardio and get to lifting once I start seeing a marked improvement in weight? Or am I wrong there?

When you lose weight, it's not just fat that dissapears. Start lifting now. It will help maintain as much muscle as possible while you lose weight. You won't totally stop the muscle loss, but you can absolutely minimise it as much as possible
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If you really get bored quickly, then New Rules of Lifting for Women might be ideal for you.

For most people, I think it would be too much, as there are many different exercises and they keep changing every 4 (or is it 6?) weeks. But, if you think you'll quickly get bored, then you might like the changes.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it's always necessary to lift or do some kind of anaerobic training. By doing only cardio, you're only working 1/2 the muscle types in your body.

My advice, if you don't have anyone in your life that you trust and is knowledgeable about exercise and physical training, it would greatly benefit you to find a trainer for a single session, just to gauge your level then give you some exercise tips. No need to continue with the trainer (unless you want to), but they can give you a great routine.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    you would be better off incorperating resistance training right away.

for cardio you can pretty much do whatever you like... trying to get in about 2 30 min sessions or more a week

for resistance, your going to need a tiny bit more consistancy. Its not so important to do the same exercises, but you want to hit the same body part 2-3 times a week. And don't do the same body part two days in a row. if you want to strip it down to the least amount of structure, i'd say that would be it. then you have the freedom to do whatever exercise as long as you do the same parts twice a week.
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have nothing productive to add... But I did want to say "Don't Blink. Blink and you're dead."
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

It is always necessary to lift in some manner.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Lifting will speed up your weight loss. Don't wait to lose weight first, start now! I wish I had!
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and I do 30 mins on a incline treadmill, 10-15 on the bike and 10 on elliptical and maybe 10 mins on weights. I will worry more about weighs once I get the weight off.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Go over to Bodybuilding.com and join for free. You can fill out a questionnaire about your goals, and they will offer you several choices for workout programs, everything you need. A schedule, videos to show how the exercises are done, a worksheet you can print and fill out to keep track of your progress, etc.

I've been trying to work my way through Jamie Eason's 12-week plan.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    I have nothing productive to add... But I did want to say "Don't Blink. Blink and you're dead."

Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink. Good luck!

To everyone else, thank you! I think I will definitely start resistance training, because well, it can't hurt right?!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink. Good luck!

To everyone else, thank you! I think I will definitely start resistance training, because well, it can't hurt right?!

I don't know if "it can't hurt right?" is the right question to ask. because, well, yes, it can hurt, a lot. :ohwell:

a better question is, "It can't be bad, right?"
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    I don't know if "it can't hurt right?" is the right question to ask. because, well, yes, it can hurt, a lot. :ohwell:

a better question is, "It can't be bad, right?"

But if you know that that's simply a turn of phrase, I think "it can't hurt" is just fine :flowerforyou: