any good alternatives for half and half in coffee?

Options
2»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live, but Land O Lakes has a low-fat half and half that's a happy medium between regular half and half and the fat free stuff. It still has calories, but if you measure out a portion, it's not so awful, and it tastes good. It's something I always will make room for in my day.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm confused about fat free half and half. I didn't know there was such a thing. I thought it was all half heavy cream

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Some alternatives I use, depending on mood (and the quality of the coffee ;) ):

1-2 Tbsp real half/half per 16oz. travel mug or tall cup--20-40 calories--good to take the acidity edge off of a strong cup of good, dark roasted stuff, while still letting the coffee flavor shine through

1/4 cup of 2% or whole milk--30-40 calories--good when I want it "milky" but don't need "creamy"--my cheap home brewed or gas station joe gets this treatment
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I just tried unsweetened cashew milk (25 calories a cup). It was yummy in my coffee but difficult to find in the store.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i find that milk replaces cream pretty well. I used almond milk while losing weight, switched to regular 1% during maintainance.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I love fat free half and half. Milk and milk substitutes (almond, soy, etc.) just don't give my coffee that smoothness that I need.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Non-fat powdered milk isn't too bad, but I generally use soy milk and protein powder. After lifting, I put half an AdvantEdge protein shake in my coffee:)