What happened? I just cant keep motivated...

Options
I have lost about 30lbs so far and was so excited when i put some before and now pics together a few months ago when i hit that 30lb loss...Well i started having some issues with my gallbladder and go it removed so i wasnt working out durring all that and ive been healed up for over a month now and i keep starting to workout then slowly stop and idk why but i cant keep motivated ive kinda hit a plateau my weight hasnt budged...granted im not trying that hard but i just cant get the motivation i mean i sit at work all day and think about how excited i am to work out blah blah then as soon as i get home i cook dinner clean up then im ready to just go to bed...UGH why cant i just do it? WTF happened i was doing so good...

Replies

• edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Honestly...I think it just ...happens. My first 25 pounds came off like it was nothing. I was doing really good and then I just ...slacked off for a few weeks. I got a bit bored, started enjoying the bad food again for a couple months. Now I'm back at it again and doing well. Sometimes, you really do need the break I think. Keep on, and keep going. Maintain for a couple months and relax some, then dig in hard again.
  • healthierlifestyle
    healthierlifestyle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've also been struggling to lose weight andthe advice about taking a break sounds good. Perhaps for 2 weeks then start again.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I've also been struggling to lose weight andthe advice about taking a break sounds good. Perhaps for 2 weeks then start again.

haha, just Dont' take a complete break though and hoark down any food you see

Just give yourself time to adjust to where you are at and maintain for a couple weeks or a month. It will give you time to find/establish some new routines or some new recipes. The other thing, is that maintaining for a bit rather that pushing for loss will let you recharge your batteries some, and that helps alot :smile:
  • SerenaBeans08
    SerenaBeans08 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I can't stay motivated either! I have started and re-started to lose weight for two years now. I can't help it! Any advice is welcome :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't rely on motivation. I work on the habits that lead to eating too much of the wrong things.
  • heatherforever222
    heatherforever222 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think motivation is important. I would try to see if working out with friends will help. Also, you should always have a day during the week or at least one meal that you splurge a bit. You shouldnt try and stick with the same ol all the time.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Lack of motivation prompts me to ask: what is your daily calorie limit?
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    Options

My limit was 1690 but i just lowered it becuase i felt that might be why my weight wouldnt budge anymore thought maybe if i switch it up a little bit it would help that maybe my body just cought up with my eating habbits and that i needed a little change so its now at 1400
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

My limit was 1690 but i just lowered it becuase i felt that might be why my weight wouldnt budge anymore thought maybe if i switch it up a little bit it would help that maybe my body just cought up with my eating habbits and that i needed a little change so its now at 1400

If I were you, I would reconsider dropping your calories. Generally, lack of motivation, and especially energy, is a clue that you're not eating enough calories. When you were eating 1690, how long was the scale refusing to budge? Make sure you're giving it plenty of time. These things sometimes stall out and all that is required to break through is persistence.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I think of it like summer vacation. When you're in school, you get into a routine and it becomes part of your day-to-day life without giving it much thought. Then you go on summer break, and when you start school again, there's that initial feeling of, "Ugh. I don't have time for all this. I want to keep playing video games in my pajamas." Eventually, though, you keep going because you have to, and before you know it, it's routine again.

I get into slumps sometimes, and the only way to pull myself out is to make myself start exercising and eating right again until it becomes habit.
  • dlrock
    dlrock Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time sticking with a plan. I've only lost 6lbs in the past 3 months. I've bumped up my calories and am about to try GNC's Total Lean shakes. I'm trying to trim down and lose 40lbs by August but it is a battle. I'm using Body Gospel's exercise DVDs and really like them. This past week i've blown it big time. Anyone else having a hard time?
  • _SASX_
    _SASX_ Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It can be hard to get motivated and stay motivated. The thing that works for me is that I schedule it in to my day. It's on my wall calendar. I know what workout I'm doing when I get home. It's not a hem and haw about it. It's a "I've got it on my calendar so I'd better do it". Plus I use a non-food reward everyday. You can give yourself a checkmark, or something similar. I use funny or cool stickers (hahah- primary teacher here). It works for me. It's scheduled and it's also a visual reminder that I want that sticker, I don't want a blank day on my calendar. Even my rest days are scheduled. Now, you can go further and give yourself a non-food reward after x number of stickers, which is also cook to do, or trade every sticker for $1 that you can use guilt free on any 'thing' not food. Now, I'm not anal about this. If I miss a day because of scheduling conflicts or don't have enough time to complete the workout in the time I have, I'll cross out the workout and put in a new one. If I miss a day because I'm sick, I write "SICK" across it, so that again, from across the room, I can see it. Then I make up that workout at a later time.

I'm rambling now.

The point is, find something that will make you proud to exercise. Nail a pair of goal jeans to the wall, take a pic of yourself naked and tape it to the fridge, put a bead in a jar....

but do it!
  • dlrock
    dlrock Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's awesome advice and a really fun idea! I may have to try this....Thx.
  • felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about trying to work out in the morning? Or is there a gym around that you could do some fun zumba class or something? Good luck and dont give up! You can do it!!!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I just had this conversation this morning with one of MFP IRL friends. We both had been sick last week and so we got back on upping our activities on Monday, already feel better and it's only Tuesday. I think I just have to tell myself - I will feel better tomorrow if I work out today!