i question the validity of my HRM....

Options
2»

Replies

• rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    The numbers are fairly accurate in my opinion. The average person working at vigorous effort can burn about 10 calories a minute. It's about how hard you work, not necessarily how long or how far.
  • DatEpicChick
    DatEpicChick Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    see i'm 128 pounds, and everyone at different weights seem to be burning the same amount as what i am doing.... kinda strange? idk?

i just bought the thing, so maybe i just need to give it more time? try and figure it out. thanks everyone for replying!! i feel better now, i will just keep track of the responses from the HRM and see what the trends are. =] especially since i do the same route for my run each day. =D
  • laurie41565
    laurie41565 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT60 for $135. I thought it read low. I was doing an hour of Les Mills Combat (lot of kicking, punching & jumping) and it said I only burned 280 cals and my previous was about 400 cals higher. I am going with this one though cuz it has a chest strap and it had really good ratings. My heart rate got to about 160 at times and I am drenched when done. I'm 154 lbs.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty accurate to me.

As other people have mentioned, it does kind of double count your calories, since it also counts the calories you burn just for existing. But to give you an idea I'm 5'4" and 179 and I usually burn about 300 cals during a RI30 workout or 450-700 depending on the Turbo Fire workout.

Also, my heart rate does get up in the 180s during HIIT training, so that is entirely possible :)

The HRM is probably the most customized number you're going to get for your workouts. I'd just go with it.

its possible of course, but if your in your 30s (which it doesn't look like you are) thats very close to 100% of your max heart rate, and if your 40 plus its over it.

I wouldn't expect to see it while jogging at all, HIIT more likely.

If accuracey is a concern to the OP, consider testing the unit by getting your HR up high, then get out a stop watch and take your pulse for 1 min, see if you get the same BPM as the unit.

if the BPM is off then the calorie calc is going to be off as well.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The calories on your fitbit are lower because your fitbit has no way of really measuring exertion, only steps. If I do a 30 Day Shred workout, it logs my 1500 steps or whatever and counts them as if I took 1500 steps in a short period of time - it has no clue how hard I was sweating, how hard my heart was beating, or how hard of a workout it was. I'd trust a HRM over the fitbit any day for calorie burn and I LOVE my fitbit.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Major reason I went with a Polar over some of the other techy things out there like Fitbit is that I just want to know approximately how much I burn based on my HR and effort I put into my exercise. If I wanted to know info like steps, I would have stuck with a pedometer.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Make sure you update your weight as you lose too, or it will overestimate your calories loss.
  • rew1469
    rew1469 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump