Does elevation change = running change???

Options
Last summer when I got some weight off and my knees would take it I started running. 5K in 30 mins up to 10K in 65 mins is a good pace for me now.

My average home area elevation is 850'.

This weekend I will travel to the west coast and spend a couple of weeks there for work. Looks like the elevation there will be 3,500' to 4,000'.

Is this enough change to make a noticeable impact on my running ability????

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    There's a 3% loss in oxygen for every 1000 feet of elevation you ascend so yes, you're probably going to feel it.

I'd take it easy and get acclimated to the elevation before you go out for an all out run.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    FOR SURE!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I lived in the mountains of CO for awhile. My son who lived at sea level was visiting and said, "I run 8 miles a day. Going out for a run." He was back in 15 minutes. Drink extra water.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Last summer when I got some weight off and my knees would take it I started running. 5K in 30 mins up to 10K in 65 mins is a good pace for me now.

My average home area elevation is 850'.

This weekend I will travel to the west coast and spend a couple of weeks there for work. Looks like the elevation there will be 3,500' to 4,000'.

Is this enough change to make a noticeable impact on my running ability????

ABSOLUTELY. Think of it as altitude training ~ to boost your performance and endurance/stamina
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Most definately. And seriously don't plan any skydiving cliff jumping (or even a tram trip) on your first day. You'll get altitude sickness and could get light headed and, depending on the severity, even pass out. I'd say plan for easier runs or maybe hiking if it's available. If you're still really wanting to run you might look into canned oxygen such as O+ or Oxygen4Energy which are designed to treat altitude sickness. I'm about 1.5 miles above sea level but still get out of breath if I hike at a 2 mile elevation.
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    Yes, I think you can train for elevation change though.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, yes. But you should get used to it after a week or two. Drink more water and be prepared to run slower.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you're going to feel it. I was stationed in San Diego (sea level) when I was in the Corps and trained like a beast...it always kicked my *kitten* when I came home to Albuquerque (6,000 ft)

Don't push it to hard...elevation sickness can get the better of you as well if your body isn't adjusted. I wouldn't think sea level to 4,000 ft would be enough to induce elevation sickness, but it could if you were really pushing your body.