Egg yolks?!

Options
shivles
shivles Posts: 468 Member
I'm on insanity and so there's a lot of egg whites going on, what do I do with the yolks?! I don't want to waste them, any ideas? How can I cook them so maybe my daughter can eat some? (she's 2)

Replies

• shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    An egg yolk is hardly sabotage and it's been recommended to me for her to eat eggs because of the good cholesterol in them. Helpful suggestions only please, I put in her age so people can give appropriate suggestions, if that's not to give them to her there's no need to be nasty about it.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Eat the yolks. Or if you bake use them for that.
  • maggs155
    maggs155 Posts: 258
    Options
    Whats wrong with the yolk just wondering???? Is it really that bad for u...
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks are excellent for a toddler. You can incorporate them in Mac n cheese.

Just cook the pasta in milk until tender
    Once cooked, slowly add egg yolks
    Then, stir in any type of cheese and seasoning.

I'm not sure on exact measurements, but my great grandma has always made Mac n cheese like this.:flowerforyou:
  • LisasRoadtolosing100lbs
    Options
    I wish I knew what you could do with the yolks. Sadly I throw mine out. However I do choose to eat them once a week as well. They do hold all the calories but the also hold a lot of nutritionly value as well!
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I give them to my dogs. They love it and I love their shiny coats.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks are excellent for a toddler. You can incorporate them in Mac n cheese.

Just cook the pasta in milk until tender
    Once cooked, slowly add egg yolks
    Then, stir in any type of cheese and seasoning.

I'm not sure on exact measurements, but my great grandma has always made Mac n cheese like this.:flowerforyou:

this sounds delicious!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    You could eat them, if they're good for your daughter why not you as well?
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Ignore the haters. lol
    yolks aren't bad - but can be unproductive if you are looking to cut fat (even natural fat).

the only thing i can think of is making some kind of dip for her (like you'd make when filling devil'd eggs)..? I personally give them to my dogs - b/c it's good for their coat & me & the hubs are both eating pretty lean.
  • vicrandom
    vicrandom Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    facemask?

LEMON CUSTARD

Real pudding

Oh wait, sugar is not good for babies, or people...
    Um, I would be all over that mac and cheese thing, that sounds yummy. Or omelettes with extra yolks for breakfast or dinner.
    Spaghetti carbonara?
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    just eat the whole egg. If you aren't a professional body builder or someone with heart or cholesterol issues then this whole "don't eat the yolk" bit is just nonsense...
  • pagermain
    pagermain Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The yolk portion of an egg contains choline, an essential nutrient for brain health. Plus, whole eggs have an antioxidant capacity equal to that of an apple, an iconic symbol of good health, according to research published in Food Chemistry.

I recommend that you buy omega-3 eggs. The chickens that these eggs come from are fed a higher omega-3 diet and some omega-3 eggs (depending on the brand) contain up to 150 mg of the omega-3 fat DHA. This is the same healthy fat found in fish oil supplements that is essential for proper brain function and research shows may also help you lose weight.

Whole omega-3 eggs are a great addition to your diet and contain multiple essential nutrients. Enjoy them and your health will improve!

(excerpt from Shape Magazine's Dr. Mike Roussel)
  • moo1907
    moo1907 Posts: 24
    Options
    scrambled egg? do babies eat scrambled egg? i love scrambled egg! i might go make some :)
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Throw them out, its just a yolk.
  • Jodycnd
    Jodycnd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I bake gluten free bread for my celiac daughter and got tired of needing 1 yolk + 3 whites (that's a lot of leftover yolk after a few loaves), so I have a big carton of Eggbeater type thing that I just started buying. I don't know how much more expensive it is but I'd rather use 100% of it than buy eggs cheaper and throw out 50%.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Lemon curd is good too. Again a bit on the sugary side but YUM!
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    I buy egg whites by the carton!

Occasionally I'll make egg salad with 6-7 whites and one yolk, and I give some of the yolk to the dogs.

You could think about composting them, too...
  • RNWall
    RNWall Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post! I am trying to find ways to use my yolks too. My daughter would love that mac n cheese idea!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    mix the eggs with lemon and sugar and make a meringue to give to her daughter.
  • Pulka_Dot
    Pulka_Dot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Another reason to eat the yolks: Egg yolks are one of the few foods that naturally contain vitamin D.