What age to allow/teach kids to stove top cook?

Options
sizzle74
sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
My son will be 9 in June. He loves to be independant and make his own food. What age did you parents start allowing your kids to heat things like soup or a grilled cheese on the stove? (supervised of course)

Replies

• _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I'm still not allowed.
  • sizzle74
    Options
    I'm still not allowed.

Come over. I will have my son cook for you. lol
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Matilda was six.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    1 year.
    If they can walk, they can cook.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    All of my stepchildren, from 6 years old to 14, help their father and I cook. If they are in a mood where it seems like they are not going to be as careful as they need to be around a hot stove, then they are kicked out of the kitchen though.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    This age seems about appropriate

tumblr_inline_mh75mhw8981ro2d43_zps89b23c86.gif
  • sizzle74
    Options
    Matilda was six.

LMAO isn't she a little witch or something?
  • sizzle74
    Options
    This age seems about appropriate

tumblr_inline_mh75mhw8981ro2d43_zps89b23c86.gif

:laugh:
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Matilda was six.

You shouldn't call people names.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    my mom is old fashion and southern - I could cook a FULL thanksgiving dinner by myself by age 12.
  • sizzle74
    Options
    All of my stepchildren, from 6 years old to 14, help their father and I cook. If they are in a mood where it seems like they are not going to be as careful as they need to be around a hot stove, then they are kicked out of the kitchen though.

I think I'll start teaching him now :)
  • sizzle74
    Options
    Matilda was six.

You shouldn't call people names.

I like witches.
  • sizzle74
    Options
    my mom is old fashion and southern - I could cook a FULL thanksgiving dinner by myself by age 12.

That's awesome!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    At 33 I still probably couldn't even do this.
  • sizzle74
    Options

Word.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Word.

My mom was born in Mullins, South Carolina and grew up on a farm. As soon as my sisters and I could safely reach the stove we were in the kitchen learning how to cook!
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    Having 5 kids, some days it's do it yourself or eat a PB&J, I think the triplets where about 6 when I showed them how to do mac n cheese, grilled cheese, soup. Now at 10 they love to cook all sorts of stuff, my daughter even made the bread we had at easter, with me just watching her and giving instructions, it came out amazing. We also grow and can many of our own fruits and veggies, and they help me with that prep and process. They can also make pancakes, omelets, scrambled eggs and other stuff that's easy.

They also do all their own laundry, they are pretty awesome LOL
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    My mom used to place a chair in front of the stove, with the back against the stove so that I couldn't fall flat on the stove. At first, I was allowed to dump a can of chef Boyardee in a an and stir to my heart's content. I learned the hard way that my lunch wouldn't be very good if I stirred and stirred and stirred. Lunch was after Price is Right and we threw out the TV when I was five, so it must have been pretty early on.

Next, I was shown the family recipes, like spaghetti sauce. Then I was left alone to make spaghetti sauce. The whole family learned that nutmeg is not an appropriate spice for spaghetti sauce.

Mom also made me a jiffy mix cake recipe that made one pot pie tin sized cake, so I was baking early, as well. I wasn't allowed to take it out of the oven myself at first, though.

All of my learning to cook memories are from the house we left when I was eleven. By the time I was twelve or thirteen, I was the main family cook when it wasn't basketball season.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    My son learned how to grill the same day he helped me butcher his first deer.....7 years old...
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    My son learned how to grill the same day he helped me butcher his first deer.....7 years old...

That's just awesome :happy: We too allow our boys to butcher live land catches that early.