Super easy southwest quinoa

Options
sunshinestate
sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
I just threw this together and can't stop eating it...

First, as a general rule of quinoa cooking, cook 1 part quinoa with 2 parts water. Then bring to boil and cook until most of the water is absorbed.

Then mix 1 cup quinoa with 1/2 can rotel tomatoes with mild green chilis, 1/2 can black beans, and the flesh of 1/2 an avocado. It is SOOOO good and so easy. I love it! I also have added sunflower seed kernels for crunch (like a tablespoon) and that is very tasty.

Replies

• StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    thanks for sharing! sounds great
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    that sounds amazing!! do you have nutrition info for it?
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    YUM!! I have heard so much about quinoa recently and have been tempted to buy some - now I will! I always mix rotel and black beans into our mac n cheese to give it a boost of fiber/protein and a yummy kick!
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    Oooohh...I love quinoa, and I haven't tried it this way! But hey, I live in Arizona and we love anything with green chiles. Going to try this in the next day or two...know my hubby will love it!
  • nsking83
    nsking83 Posts: 145
    Options
    From the midwestern girl in Ohio......

WTH is quinoa?? :laugh:

No...seriously :smile: :embarassed:
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This recipe makes a really large bowl (but I eat it all myself because I can eat a lot!), and it has 450 calories and 19 grams of fiber. More calories if you add sunflower seeds.

Quinoa is kind of like rice, kind of like cous cous, and kind of like grits. Like if cous cous and grits got together and had a love child, they'd have quinoa.

It's hard to find in grocery stores around here, but it's a staple in health food stores.
  • oliveoil7979
    oliveoil7979 Posts: 112
    Options
    bump
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    bump drool bump
  • Baloo
    Baloo Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I gotta try quinoa . . .thanks!
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I love quinoa. Been trying to find more recipes. Thanks and here's mine.

1 cup Quinoa
    1 cup TVP
    1 cup Brown Rice

I prepare the above individually, let cool and throw into a big bowl. Then I add whatever veggies I have (chopped) along with a package of Sunbird fried rice seasoning. (Cilantro, Green Onions, Jalapenos and carrots are my faves).

Tastes like Fried rice when I microwave. I usually add a little soy sauce. Tastes great and it's high in fiber and protein. I divide it into 8 0z servings and it stays fresh about a week.