Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Men & women: mentality after losing weight?

This question is for men or women I suppose... I want to lose a total of 100lbs. It's a lot of weight and I am aware of this...but I know that it's attainable after talking to some other people on MFP and seeing success stories. What I am worried about is that after I lose the weight and my body is drastically changed, that my mentality is still going to be stuck on being fat. Or even just overthinking things... I'm not losing weight for anyone but myself. For myself to feel comfortable in my own skin. I just have the fear that I'm going to have the same self confidence issues that I have right now after I lose weight.

There's always going to be one more thing about myself that I'm going to want to "fix" before I am able to look in the mirror without obsessing over imperfections. My main priority is to get my self confidence back and shed the weight that I gained during a bad 5 year span of my life, and move on to bigger and better things in life. I'm trying to be more positive but there are days where I get a bit down and I don't really have a support group or anyone to talk to about it. Sorry for venting =/ but if you have similar thoughts, or any suggestions... it'd be appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Replies

• djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    me personally mentally i never went back once i lost weight i became addicted to looking good and i still eat right and exercise regularly to make sure i never gain the weight back!
  • Having lost and kept off over 60 pounds, I still see "fat Jody" everytime I look in a mirror.
    I have realized it is not always a bad thing as it helps me to make wiser choices. (most times :tongue: )
    The biggest challenge I found was learnig to like myself and then love who I am regardless of size or shape.
    Down days are going to hapen no matter what size you are.
    You can and will do it!
  • I think that's where it becomes important that, along the way, any and all other issues are addressed. Ya, it's HARD mentally! It's a process. BUT I'd rather be healthy, and fit, and still struggle with confidence issues, than obese and struggle with confidence issues. That's a work in progress, but I'm miles ahead of where I used to be!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    ive lost 100...and when i look in the mirror all i see is fat....here's the deal...would you rather BE fat AND think you're fat or be fit AND think you're fat?
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    I lost 150 lbs, developed an ED and I still battle seeing myself as fat. It's hard to deal. Logically I know I don't see myself the way others do, but that still doesn't change my perception.
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    I suppose that all makes sense. I'd rather be fit and have self confidence issues than be overweight and suffer self confidence issues. I know that once I lose the weight I will NEVER let myself gain it back. And I know it will be worth all the effort.

Just have those days where I doubt myself.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    I've lost a total of 93 lbs. 7 more until I reach 100 - truthfully my body changed faster than my brain. Even now I still see the old me. I love myself no matter what size but I was not happy with myself - if that makes any sense. I absolutely refused to believe I had gotten down to a size 0-2 even when my clothes were falling off of me - all I noticed was that I didn't have a tones tummy. The issues I had didn't disappear with the weight. They had to be directly addressed.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    ive lost 100...and when i look in the mirror all i see is fat....here's the deal...would you rather BE fat AND think you're fat or be fit AND think you're fat?

What Wolf said.....I still look in the mirror and all I see is fat.

However I *know* i'm not fat by the fact that I can run up four flights of stairs without getting breathless several times a day, I lift heavy, I swim, I fit in normal sized clothes and the rest of the world doesn't perceive me as fat.

So I LOVE being fit....but I still see fat.

like Wolf, I'd take that in a heartbeat over BEING fat and feeling fat.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member

However I *know* i'm not fat by the fact that I can run up four flights of stairs without getting breathless several times a day, I lift heavy, I swim, I fit in normal sized clothes and the rest of the world doesn't perceive me as fat.

The mind is a very strange place to be.
    I left mine years ago for this very reason.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member

I thought you had to voluntarily surrender it when you were married.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member

I thought you had to voluntarily surrender it when you were married.

Close, that was my gonads.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    I think it depends on the reasons you were overeating in the first place.

If you were putting layers down as protection, you'll feel vulnerable.

If you ate to swallow anger, you could feel resentful you aren't necessarily perfect afterwards.

If you were compulsively eating, you could feel lost without that to drive you.

Why did you overeat?