article that says " exercise dosent drop pounds "

Options
Ok my wife showed me this study that says the above,,,,,this doesnt make too much sense to me ???

Replies

• clairercoll
    clairercoll Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think (and I haven't read what the article/study says) what they mean is that you can exercise all you want, but if you're not eating right, the weight will never come off.
  • Lila999
    Lila999 Posts: 6
    Options
    I think (and I haven't read what the article/study says) what they mean is that you can exercise all you want, but if you're not eating right, the weight will never come off.

Probably that. I am 5'2. My current BMR is only 1,227 calories/day. I simply cannot lose any lbs without adding exercise (or starving to death LOL). My calorie deficit is basically created from exercise; on my non-exercise days, I am almost always over my calorie limit (calculated based on my sedentary lifestyle that involves hardly 500 steps a day).
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from experience that this is true. I exercised my heart out for YEARS trying to lose weight.

Once I changed my diet and started logging my food it came off almost instantaneously.

I still exercise, but I do it for health and be strong - not as a tool for weight management. In fact, I bet I would lose weight (muscle) if I quit exercising.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The way the athletes put it is that you can't out train a bad diet.

There have been numerous studies that show that people who aren't tracking their food just tend to eat additional calories when they start exercising, often in excess of the calories actually burnt.