Exercising and greasy hair?

Sorry, wasn't sure where to post this lol.

I hate taking a shower after every time I work out. It dries my hair out if I wash my hair more than every other day. What do you do to keep your hair from looking greasy if you work out every day?

Replies

• I also have that problem. The beautician told me to use conditioner only every other day. It gently cleans while not drying out your hair. It sort of works. I also want to try that new fructis dry shampoo I've seen on TV. I have high hopes for that, if it's not too expensive.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Change shampoo.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    I also have that problem. The beautician told me to use conditioner only every other day. It gently cleans while not drying out your hair. It sort of works. I also want to try that new fructis dry shampoo I've seen on TV. I have high hopes for that, if it's not too expensive.

I didn't even think of dry shampoo lol. I've heard it's terrible for your hair, but it does it's job! I ran out of it a few months ago so maybe I'll try this, thanks!
  • SassJess81
    SassJess81 Posts: 75 Member
    I keep dry shampoo in my gym bag.
  • JohnDun
    JohnDun Posts: 140
    I wish I had enough hair to worry about this sort of problem.......hee hee......
  • MST13
    MST13 Posts: 20 Member
    I usually shower and just wet my hair without washing it. Gets the sweat out, but doesn't dry it too much by washing. I am the same, my hair gets super frizzed out if I wash it more than 2 or 3 times a week. I have heard of people using baby powder just along the hairline, but I am not sure how well that works. Might also be really drying.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    I don't have this problem but don't use conditioner as often, change shampoo and consider buying dry shampoo. My husband has the greasy hair problem and he has to use a very drying shampoo to keep his hair from getting greasy over the next two days following shampooing.
  • or just don't wash your hair everyday. dry schampoo, oh yes.
  • Dry shampoo is the way to go. I have really greasy hair. And when it starts to look greasy again, give it a little massage and it will look better. It will still feel greasy though depending on how bad your hair is that day.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    change shampoos to a non SLS/ALS or alternate with washing with conditioner.

the conditioner wash works better if you use a conditioner with any ingredients that end in -cone since those leave a residue which probably wouldnt be good for oily hair anyway
  • I use Pantene Pro V - the Nature Fusion "moisture balance"

I can wash my hair every day and use a straightener on the highest heat setting EVERY day without it drying out. (I used to think it was dry, but my stylist confirmed that my hair is actually very healthy)

Perhaps you could try this brand?

Dry shampoo is also an option. For me, it's easier to wash every day because the dry shampoo just makes my hair feel awful.

Good luck!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    I've been using the 'aussie' range of shampoo (the aussie moisture normal shampoo in particular) and making sure I use a "deep" conditioner once a week.

I've also been putting a litte bit of my cocoa moisturiser in my hair, since I wash it every day it can get a little dry and this has helped!

ETA: Just re-read your post, I've not actually been helpful - doh! Maybe dry shampoo?
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    I found using a shampoo and conditioner combo made with moroccan oil was very hydrating which helps with hair getting oily in general. More moisture makes for less oil production, I also take zinc to help with my acne and it also worked for making my hair less greasy.

Dry shampoos left my hair horribly matted when I would wash it out the next day, I had to wash my hair 2-3 times the next morning to wash it all out and have nice hair. What I can recommend in place is to use a towel to pat your hair dry or if you can brush it out afterward you can scrub out some sweat using the towel, just as if you were towel drying your hair after a shower. It helps and is a very cheap solution and has worked for me in the past although I also made due with disposable towels to dry up some of the sweat too.

Hope you find a good solution!
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    There are some girls that I know that actually shower BEFORE they work out. They work out with their hair wet and it doesn't actually dry their hair too bad.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    if you have long hair, just do conditioner on the tips, not on the scalp.
  • dkmilton
    dkmilton Posts: 15 Member
    Baby powder will work just like dry shampoo.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    There are some girls that I know that actually shower BEFORE they work out. They work out with their hair wet and it doesn't actually dry their hair too bad.

and i always thought that was SWEAT on the gym machines! ;)
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    I suggest washing it daily but only at the scalp. Then if it still gets dry just do a coconut oil treatment about twice a week.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I use a spray on leave in conditioner after showering and before blow drying.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    I shower 2-3 times a day, and only wash my hair a couple times a week. Shower cap + dry shampoo. Sounds like you're over-washing your hair and your glands are in overdrive to compensate.