Exercise for someone with limited mobility?

Crunchytxmama
Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
My MIL is diabetic and recovering from a serious injury to her foot. She fell through her ceiling while she was up in the attic and has a plate in her foot. She's very sedentary and in the past has always lost weight using Atkins or this or that diet. Her weight has gotten really high and she knows she needs to lose it. None of her usual diet tricks are working to help her lose the weight and she doesn't like counting calories. She does want to exercise, but she is quite picky, will not go to a gym, will not wear a swimsuit to go swimming, you get the idea. She's open to maybe some workout dvd's or exercise bands, or an inexpensive piece of equipment she could buy....she also cannot (or will not) get down on the floor to do any kind of exercise because she says she can't get up.

Any suggestions? She has limited funds as well, so an expensive elliptical or stairmaster is not in the budget. Specific suggestions on workout dvd's that she could do seated? Anything like that?

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    You might check on line for chair exercises if she has access to a computer. There are free exercise videos that you can download at SparkPeople.com and maybe some other sites.
    Plus she might be able to get some DVDs from the Library.
    Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds are pretty basic and she can do them at her own pace, with or without weighted balls and other equipment. Start with the One to Three Mile Videos.
    :smile: Hope this helps some.
  • Crunchytxmama
    Thanks. I suggested Walk Away the Pounds and she seemed interested. I requested two "Sit and Be Fit" DVD's from my library to take to her. She's only 3 miles from a YMCA that offers the Silver Sneakers program which would be perfect for her, but I don't think she would go.
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    I really hate to say this but I think your friend may not really be ready to lose the weight because that's an awful lot of excuses. I've never had a serious injury, so it could be a lack of empathy on my part. However, at my heaviest I was 247 (for the past two years I've been fluctuating between 198-212) and my back started to hurt SO bad. I went to the chiropractor and he told me flat out that I was too heavy and my back could not take the pressure. I was hobbling around like an old lady at the age of 26 so I knew I had to change. That was my wake up call.

I hope that she decides to change her mind. It's really hard to make the decision to change, but so many of us have done it and she can too. She's lucky to have a friend like you to support her!
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    We love our "Concept 2" rower. It's an all over body work out that burns more calories in less time than any of the other machines. AND it costs a lot less than the other machines as well.

I watch tv or listen to my music while I'm rowing. Sorry if she wants to read at the same time. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and I have to watch all my joints so can only do 5 minutes at a time and I break it up during my day or do a little more if I am not sore. I also am using "Scott Cole: Tai Chi for Beginners" DVD (no getting on the floor) and when she is up to going on the floor I like the "Mari Winsor" Pink Core Challenge and Her Shape for Pink Workout DVD's. One includes an exercise band.

I wish her luck... Getting started is the hardest part. She is lucky to have you helping her through this difficult task of tackling weight loss and getting in shape.
  • CoachJ77
    CoachJ77 Posts: 80 Member
    First thing that came to mind was a bike. Everyone can bike unless you have hip problems and even then its possible. If she isn't going to count calories, stocking the house with healthier stuff is pretty important because lets be real, 80% is diet. But for some semi easy fast lbs to lose, walking and riding a bike are the best cardio for her at this point. Also maybe some light dumbbells for chair use and once that gets too easy a yoga ball she can do curls with and skull crusher for those pesky triceps. Other than that I think after 10-15 lbs she we be able to increase the level she is working and will have to change her diet as well. More chicken, no pork and beef once a week -2 weeks. It will really help.
  • Crunchytxmama
    I really hate to say this but I think your friend may not really be ready to lose the weight because that's an awful lot of excuses. I've never had a serious injury, so it could be a lack of empathy on my part. However, at my heaviest I was 247 (for the past two years I've been fluctuating between 198-212) and my back started to hurt SO bad. I went to the chiropractor and he told me flat out that I was too heavy and my back could not take the pressure. I was hobbling around like an old lady at the age of 26 so I knew I had to change. That was my wake up call.

I hope that she decides to change her mind. It's really hard to make the decision to change, but so many of us have done it and she can too. She's lucky to have a friend like you to support her!
    It's actually my mother-in-law, and yes she does have a lot of excuses. My husband says she's always been this way. Regardless, she's asked me to help her find some exercises she can do, so that's what I'm trying to do.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    It is a lot of excuses but it doesn't necessarily mean she is not ready to lose the weight. Some people with limited mobility truly believe there is no exercise they can do and some use this as an excuse for their weight gain. I think the most important thing is that she be reminded that weight loss through diet control alone is possible.

That said, there are usually some kind of exercises that can be found. It's a shame that she doesn't want to go swimming because of the suit but I do understand why she might feel like that, swimming or an aqua aerobics class would have been my first suggestions - she would probably be surprised how many people in similar situations were there. She could start with something simple like resistance exercises using her arms. You don't have to buy weights, depending on strength she could use baked bean cans, small water bottles or large water bottles filled with water.

Good luck to her
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126

It's actually my mother-in-law, and yes she does have a lot of excuses. My husband says she's always been this way. Regardless, she's asked me to help her find some exercises she can do, so that's what I'm trying to do.

oh, okay, I was wondering what MIL meant :blushing:

Well, the fact that she actually asked you for help is a pretty good start. I was under the impression you were were going to give her some unsolicited advice. Maybe you should encourage her to join MFP? Like everyone has said, diet alone can help her to lose weight and when she joins this encouraging community it may give her motivation to start an activity as well.
This discussion has been closed.