Options
2»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My opinions about it in general can be seen here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822501-halp-my-sandwich-isn-t-clean

(Since most people won't click: I think the concept is silly and flawed. I think it's irrelevant for weight loss. But all that being said, I think it's important to select mostly whole and nutrient dense foods to comprise the majority of your diet).

Something you may want to consider as you're reading Lustig:

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMc0_s-M08I

Thanks for the information. I will watch the Youtube video on the treadmill tomorrow. I'll read the article. I don't agree with everything Lustig argues. I think lifestyle changes can and do work for people. A lot of people here have had success through healthier living. Lustig makes it sound like less than 1% of people can lose weight and keep it off. I know that I've managed to lose about 100 pounds since 2006 and keep off around 90 since then.

No problem. I agree with you about lifestyle change, absolutely. I also think people need to pay attention to their food choices for adherence/satiety/nutritional purposes. I just don't agree with Lustig's stance on the evils of sugar =)

Good luck to you.
  • jesbau
    jesbau Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that eating my own personal version of clean GREATLY reduces my appetite. I feel great on fewer calories. I eat and can stop. For me, that's the advantage: calories in, calories out seems plausible (thought not necessarily right?) but I know that if I am eating processed foods, dairy (other than yoghurt), wheat in any form, salt, sugar, and heavier meats I CRAVE more of THOSE foods and more FOOD in general. So I'm having great luck hitting my targets on the following in whatever amounts I want:

-vegetables
    -fruits
    -nuts (satisfies salt cravings even with unsalted versions)
    -legumes
    -eggs (satisfies salt and dairy cravings even with no added salt
    -lean poultry
    -fish
    -non-wheat whole grains: oats, quinoa, barley, rice, and occasionally gluten-free breads and pasta as a treat (I claim no gluten sensitivity/allergy in terms of how I feel when I am eating it, BUT it affects my appetite hugely. I treat gluten free ones as a treat because they are so expensive and kind of invoke cravings for wheat-based bread and pasta)
    -yoghurt for a dairy fix (other dairy makes me want other dairy. My body's response to lactose is the same as to wheat gluten: no physiological negative response except CRAVING more cheese/milk/ice cream and feeling hungrier generally)
    -red wine for an alcohol fix (other alcohol makes me crave food and more alcohol - and I LOVE beer, this is the hardest kick for me)
    -dark chocolate for a sweet fix (other sweets make me crave more sugar and food)

-I am still having (black) coffee and unsweetened teas (green) on this - I realize that is not truly "clean"...but I know it is way cleaner than average and I believe the antioxidants and positive caffeine effects outweigh the negative caffeine effects.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    agree with OP: eating clean is where it's at.

sure, one *may* be able to lose weight simply by cutting cals, even if eating candy and junk all day.

HOWEVER, to me, eating clean (ie: avoiding processed and junk foods) yields the following results that eating garbage just cannot:

--easier to maintain weight loss
    --feel full and satisfied
    --good health: skin, hair, organs, whole body
    --avoid diseases
    --maintain muscle mass

to me, people will sometimes do ANY weird diet just to avoid what is common sense:
    --eat real food, mostly plants. not too much. the end.

Yup! I can't even remember the last time I was sick – not even a common cold or flu – it has been years. My hair, skin and nails are all healthy and youthful, my eyes are bright. I feel so much stronger and healthier, have seemingly endless energy. Every week I run farther and faster, I lift more in the gym, I increase my balance and strength in yoga. I think there is a tremendous connection between what we put into our bodies and what we get out of them. My fitness journey isn't about losing weight so much as it is about a whole health makeover. If I just wanted to drop pounds, I'd probably still be getting my food out of boxes, cans and drive-thru windows but this path just makes me feel so much better, feel like I am taking such good care of myself. Just one person's experience.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    agree with OP: eating clean is where it's at.

sure, one *may* be able to lose weight simply by cutting cals, even if eating candy and junk all day.

HOWEVER, to me, eating clean (ie: avoiding processed and junk foods) yields the following results that eating garbage just cannot:

--easier to maintain weight loss
    --feel full and satisfied
    --good health: skin, hair, organs, whole body
    --avoid diseases
    --maintain muscle mass

to me, people will sometimes do ANY weird diet just to avoid what is common sense:
    --eat real food, mostly plants. not too much. the end.

No offence, but if you think the following don't count as processed foods, you are deluding yourself.

Vegan Mozzarella Style Shreds
    Trader Joe's - Almond Milk, Vanilla Unsweeteed
    Moore's - Buffalo Wing Sauce
    Trader Joe's - Goddess Dressing