I feel fat.

fanarad
fanarad Posts: 97 Member
I stopped using this thing about a month ago when I fit a plateau and felt good for a while...but lately I've been feeling fat again and the stress is starting to get to me. So I've restarted my count but am feeling really hesitant about it. Has anyone else gotten to the point where this feels like it might be an obsession?

Replies

• Stress surely gets to me as well. I by no means find counting calories to be much of an obsession for me; however, I have always been quite obsessed with how I look. Feel free to add me if you want a friend to help motivate! Oh and don't get your head down, everyone hits a plateau at one point or another! :)
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    I occasionally get obsessed about looking at ingredients and macros in stuff, but I see it as good planning for the future, when I will know generally what I am eating without looking it up.

My plan once I hit my goal and start maintenance is to go by how my clothes feel. If they start feeling tight, I will start tracking again to work out where I am going wrong.

I don't obsess about losses though, I am eating at a deficit and exercising regularly, so I lose loads one week, then nothing for the rest of the month. That doesn't bother me, because even without weight loss, I still FEEL better, and its all a step in the right direction.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    get your butt back and get motivated!
  • I can get obsessed with weight loss. I've always wanted to be thinner and I've always been really unhealthy with how I've done it - up until MFP. I make sure I eat 3 meals plus snacks a day, which sometimes means I HAVE to exercise - whether it be at the gym, or just walking somewhere. I enjoy exercise and walking so it's not a chore for me.

The calorie counting helps you to make the right choices - so long as you stick to the 3 meals and snacks. I have a friend who eats a big bar of chocolate in the morning and then eats nothing until dinner. That's not the right way to do it!!

I'm here if you need a friend - add me :)
  • sss1966
    sss1966 Posts: 110 Member
    It has to be an obsession for most of us, or we gain weight!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    It kind of needs to be an obsession. That's the point.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    The fact that you are worried that it is an obsession is one sign of a problem. If you think objectively about what you are doing, you should be able to spot disordered behavior. Also, go by the numbers, not by how you feel. Are you at a healthy weight range for your height? What is your body fat %? If these are within healthy ranges, then you need to be on maintenance, not restriction.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Being obsessed about calorie counting is a good thing to me. It makes me look at every single calorie and ingredient I consume. It keeps me away from the junk, it teaches me how to eat and what to eat. It shows me when I can have my treats.

This is one obsession that will keep me alive for longer and give me the foundation so badly needed when I hit my goal and then my maintainence time on here.
  • alehundrah
    alehundrah Posts: 156 Member
    I stopped using MFP and am trying to get in the habit of using it again. Hopefully it works. I'm trying to make healthy choices and have stopped eating chips and am trying to make gradual changes but it is hard. It's so easy to get off track and I feel like it's so hard to get back on track. At times I feel so unmotivated because I have gained Soooo much weight since I graduated high school and I can't seem to stop gaining weight. I definitely feel fat :(
  • HeartOfAFighter
    HeartOfAFighter Posts: 12 Member
    Been there.
    I don't really count calories but I am picky about what I eat, not so much to where it becomes an obsession. I don't think it's totally a bad thing unless it stresses you out. It just means you're aware and care about your health and body.
  • Bighiker2
    Bighiker2 Posts: 100
    I call the constant counting of calories 'a life sentence' LOL. I know that if I count I am either losing or maintaining and by all means that feels great; however if I stop counting for just a few days, my weight immediately goes up by 2-3 lbs.

I feel the counting is not an obsession but a necessity if we want to fit in our favorite pants! I do stay faithful to my calories for the most part, but sometimes I do let loose a little; however, I keep my eyes on the scale at all times so that I am ready to start the counting again when the numbers go up (my 'alarm' goes off at +4 lbs.. if I get to that much above my goal, it's time to put myself back on track, right away).

After all, what is the alternative? Eating whatever and gaining? Naahh, not for me! I like to look great in my summer linen pants and that's the biggest reward of them all! =)
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    I agree with my good friend sss1966. It just has to be an obsession!!!
  • daddydog69
    daddydog69 Posts: 17 Member
    I have been a human accordion my entire life......my wife and I both kicked smoking 3 years ago and took up eating.THIS app is the first time I have been able to function reasonably around healthy eating and exercise...obsession? Probably, but it works for us, and I don't see anything wrong with that.
  • fanarad
    It has to be an obsession for most of us, or we gain weight!

That does make sense and kind of makes me feel better about this in a strange way, thanks!
  • fanarad
    I stopped using MFP and am trying to get in the habit of using it again. Hopefully it works. I'm trying to make healthy choices and have stopped eating chips and am trying to make gradual changes but it is hard. It's so easy to get off track and I feel like it's so hard to get back on track. At times I feel so unmotivated because I have gained Soooo much weight since I graduated high school and I can't seem to stop gaining weight. I definitely feel fat :(

that's exactlyyy how I feel!
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    I pour my entire day, every single day and all my energy into getting fit and meeting my goals so yes, I feel like it is an obsession. It is a noble one though. I have come a long way and life has really changed for the better.

Don't let the stress get to you. Figure out ways balance it out.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    I feel there's a very fine line between obsession and dedication.
    As long as you can go through a regular day and eat that one extra chip or fry without going "I need to add this one extra piece!" You're fine.

I'm not saying don't log everything you eat, but don't be so obsessed that you're adding in literal crumbs. lol So if you're keeping good track and not adding in the tiniest bit that really won't make a difference, then I'd call it dedication.