Quarter Squat V.S Half Squat V.S ATG Squat

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You leg press the same weight that you squat? hmmmm.....
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    7opoundsin16weeks Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Are you currently squatting using free barbells or a smith machine?

i use the smith machine. i dont have enough upper body strength to use a free barbell :(
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Surely to be able to squat 280 as a 155 lb woman, you must have spent enough time training that you know this already?

That's what I'm wondering. It takes a good bit of training to hit these numbers. Very few women on the planet can hit them at 155 and they're elite lifters.

OP - What program are you doing?
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    Options
    Surely to be able to squat 280 as a 155 lb woman, you must have spent enough time training that you know this already?

I already leg press 340 lbs (and it keeps increasing), not on the inclined one though
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    Options

That's what I'm wondering. It takes a good bit of training to hit these numbers. Very few women on the planet can hit them at 155 and they're elite lifters.

Yep. I'm not buying the OP's numbers at all. Especially considering her other recent post, about "bulky women".... :noway:

u dont have to believe me.. and btw my quads can prove that women can bulk.
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    Options

OP - What program are you doing?

im not following a specific program. ive been leg pressing and doing the leg extension for quite a while. i decided to incorporate squats
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    ATG gives he best results...at least for me. works my quads, glutes and hams.....the half assed ones just end up messing up my knees and i never feel the true satisfaction of a leg day until i went ATG.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Some ppl dont have the flexibility to squat parallell let alone ATG.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I need a video, until then
    shenanigans.jpg
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Most (but not all, I know some crazy strong folks who go real deep) people I know who obsess over atg do so because they can't squat very much and need the ego boost. There's nothing wrong with going deep, but parallel is all you need.

Some of us enjoy our flexibility as much as we do our strength. Flexibility and full range of motion are much more important in real life, as it keeps us from injury. It also makes more people jealous than a huge lift. Getting both=win. *kitten* to Grass all the way.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i use the smith machine. i dont have enough upper body strength to use a free barbell :(

until this you really aren't squatting. I'm not disregarding your effort on the smith machine, it just isn't a real squat. There are no smith machine competitions, if you want to compete in the squat you need to squat.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/10-reasons-squats-are-a-terrible-exercise.html?mcid=face

Edit: Sorry, I couldn't help but think about this article. It's pretty funny...

I always go parallel, I had some knee problems in high school and my physical therapist told me to make sure I at least got /slightly broke parallel.

I was staring at my screen with a disgusted look on my face until I got to the end of that stupid article. That almost blew any and all credibility that BB.com had.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

If you don't have enough upper body strength to support a barbell while squatting (which doesn't really jive in my head...) then you should be focusing on building an upper body rather than squatting the weight of the entire frickin world.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    High speed quarter squat work is useful if your goal is to jump higher and develop leg explosion.

If your goal is strength and/or size, as deep as you can go with good form should be your primary form.
  • LoraF83
    Options

So, you're saying that you can squat a HUGE number, but you can't hold a barbell across your shoulders?

And, you're just going willy-nilly in the gym with no program?

Hmm.......
  • LoraF83
    Options
    Most (but not all, I know some crazy strong folks who go real deep) people I know who obsess over atg do so because they can't squat very much and need the ego boost. There's nothing wrong with going deep, but parallel is all you need.

Some of us enjoy our flexibility as much as we do our strength. Flexibility and full range of motion are much more important in real life, as it keeps us from injury. It also makes more people jealous than a huge lift. Getting both=win. *kitten* to Grass all the way.

:drinker:
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    Options

until this you really aren't squatting. I'm not disregarding your effort on the smith machine, it just isn't a real squat. There are no smith machine competitions, if you want to compete in the squat you need to squat.

what should i do to be able to carry a barbell?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I need a video, until then
    shenanigans.jpg

6be834b9739900f6928eef2fe80ef6c2_zpsfeb9564a.jpg
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    Options

So, you're saying that you can squat a HUGE number, but you can't hold a barbell across your shoulders?

And, you're just going willy-nilly in the gym with no program?

Hmm.......

yes.. does it bother u?
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options

If you don't have enough upper body strength to support a barbell while squatting (which doesn't really jive in my head...) then you should be focusing on building an upper body rather than squatting the weight of the entire frickin world.

best answer in thread! :drinker: :drinker: