Replies

• KX19
    KX19 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    American Kenpo- Quit just before Black due to shoulder injuries :(
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Started Kenshukai karate 6 months ago and can't believe how much I love it....was taking my boys and found myself wanting to join in!
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Muay thai, JKD, Wing Chun, Savate - hit me up fools. Love martial arts!
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    American Kenpo- Quit just before Black due to shoulder injuries :(

Kenpo is fantastic.
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I took Ju Jitsu for three months when I was 23...because I was afraid a girl was going to beat me up (she literally told me so because she stole my bf...riiiiiight). Ironically, I got beat up by a slew of girls for the three months I was enrolled....mission accomplished!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Shotokan Karate here :) Used to do Tae-Kwon Do but quit when I went to uni and never found a club I liked again after that. Have recently got back into martial arts and I wish I hadn't left it so long to come back!!
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Kali, bjj, boxing...
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I think of this

when I read some of the posts on this thread....

rkd5.jpg

and read the "tkd is better .... akido takes years...." arguments.

:laugh:
  • gerard54
    Options
    I think of this

when I read some of the posts on this thread....

rkd5.jpg

and read the "tkd is better .... akido takes years...." arguments.

:laugh:

Hahaha Rex kwon do...
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I am currently learning Tae Kwon Do. I would love to learn Krav Maga and Aikido someday as well.
    Aikido will take you years. Krav Maga is an EXCELLENT choice. In all the street fights I got into as a kid, if I had known this art back then, I would have never lost. I cant say the same for the kungfu and the brazilian ju jitsu i tried. I was usually jumped by 2 or more people, and submitting one on the ground would have gotten me kicked and stomped in the head. But this Krav stuff makes you a brilliant fighter. Not because its a magic art, but because it increases your gross motor awareness and strategy.

I'm not worried about it taking "years". I've been learning TKD for 3.5 years and LOVE the process.

I've heard good things about Brazilian Jitsu as well.

Well you have to assess the WHY of taking martial arts. If you love the art and the learning, then yes TKD is just fine. It is not usable in defending yourself, however. Aikido is VERY usable in all of the above, but will take 7+ years to gain that level of proficiency. Time IS a factor, because often things change in our lives such as moving away or becoming too busy to do anything else. BJJ is ALSO excellent and applicable to everything. You can't go wrong with either Aikido, BJJ, or Krav honestly.

re "It (TKD) is not usable in defending yourself"... Korean military would disagree.

Any martial art is useful against powerless, and scared masses who will never lift a finger against the govearning body for fear of capital death.

Not the point. You can SAY Tae Kwon Do is "not usable in defending yourself" but that doesn't make it a statement of fact. All martial artforms have their pros and cons. Tae Kwon Do is just one of many useful resources that can be utilized to defend oneself.

I would say that TKD can be very effective - if taught in a live environment, and if approached with a modicum of common sense. If taught the way 95% of schools do, or if you inappropriately utilize some of the flashier moves, then you are going to get your *kitten* handed to you by an experienced street fighter or anyone that trains 'live'.

But the same can be said of pretty much any mainstream martial art taught to the general public as a leisure activity.

Agreed. Not sure how 95% of the TKD schools teach as I only attend two sister schools. Both emphasize practical self defense while also teaching the "art".
  • gerard54
    Options
    I watched episodes of Walker: Texas Ranger, now I'm a great fighter...
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I took WTF Tae Kwon Do for almost two years (along with my son) and went as far as blue belt. Both he and I had to quit last July because it was getting to expensive. Right now i go to Planet Fitness just to stay active, but i really miss taking martial arts. I'm hoping sometime next year to take either BJJ, Muay Thai, or Krav Maga.
  • HedgeHugs
    HedgeHugs Posts: 80
    Options
    I have a second black belt degree in Tae Kwon Do :)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I'm a basic instructor in Filipino Martial Arts (Escrima/Kali/Arnis).
    I've also took a few Korean Tang So Do classes.
    I really want to learn Muay Thai Kick Boxing and perhaps Krav Maga.

Hi I'm 2nd dan Ju Jitsu in the uk. I love escrima (sadly no classes local to learn at). krav looks good and kick boxing is fantastic for fitness and hand speed.

Good luck, I'm sure a combination of them will be awesome.
  • dirtmagnets
    dirtmagnets Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm a sabre fencer who is sadly in need of a new club, as mine closed last summer. I'm not really happy with my other fencing options nearby, so I've been seriously considering trying TKD, mainly because I can do so right around the corner from home.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    2nd Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo (Korean), also helped teach....also took Kenpo (Chinese), Judo (Japanese), & TangSooDo (Korean), at times over the years. Teach women's self defense/personal security workshops periodically, as well as Stranger Danger classes for kids. After about 26 yrs of working out off & on in group classes, injured my knee (double jumping roundhouse kicks), & now just train at home on my own to keep my skills up. Did start teaching myself Krav Maga (Israeli) self defense style (not sport) from a book. When I expressed an interest, one instructor said that in his experience, anyone who has a 2nd degree black belt in one style, can probably teach themselves another style w/a book. Maybe not good enough for a competition, but definitely basics.