bump.. for later
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Bump for later for sure .
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    BUMPING to read in full later... no question though, for newly diagnosed T2 diabetics, its SO confusing and overwhelming... I spent the first few months diligently checking the "sugar" amounts on labels and never had a clue about carbohydrates at all.. til my A1C went UP instead of down.. and I started doing my own research... thankfully I found MFP and started to educate myself. I'm Still learning. a year in.. but progressing well and I WILL get my A1C down below it's current 6.2 and I owe a lot of the progress to all the info and resources posted on this site...

my only (unsolicited )advice to newly diagnosed peeps..? take advantage of, and use the wealth of info available thanks to the efforts of those willing to share their knowledge and experience with us, then do your OWN research. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and be willing to change old habits and ideas. And know that you're not alone.. it's a scary time and it will take a little while to find your way. But this is a great site to find help and support and information - so don't be afraid to take advantage of it all! :flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Type 2 Diabetics really should worry about carbs first calories second ...and give themselves a range when it comes to calories curb hunger..Im assuming your type 2...that's how I overcame type 2...I kept my carbs at 180 grams per day and calories between 1200-1500 ..you for instance might want to try 1400-1600.....I m no longer type 2 with an A1c of 5.6 I do test my glucose if I feel off but so far so good you just have to be diligent and honest.
  • Xtinesky
    Xtinesky Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later reading. Thanks for the great discussion and information so far.
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Bump. Good thread.
  • rabbyduby
    rabbyduby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bump. very educational
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I've been insulin resistant for 8 years. My new nutritionist has me on a Paleo type diet. He upped my calories from 1200 to 1460 on non workout days. On non-workout days my carbs goal is between 50-80 grams. Workout days I go 100 - 120 grams, and nothing from grains, rice, potatoes, etc. My carbs are from fruits, (eaten with protein), and vegetables also eaten with protein.

My protein and fats are high, my carbs are low. I've been feeling great.

On those days where it's hard for me to hit my calories, I go for calorie dense food. Avocado, brussel sprouts, broccolli, sunflower seed butter and 85% dark chocolate. I use coconut butter, coconut oil and olive oil. I'm sensitive to nuts, but can tolerate pumpkin seeds and cashews. I'm allergic to cow milk but can have sheep's milk feta, true romano, (sheep's milk again), and some goat milk cheese.

I've had to learn how to eat all over again, but since eating like this I'm not hungry, my food cravings have disappeared, I'm losing weight, and I really, really feel so much better. And I believe that this is maintainable for the rest of my life. Booo Yah!
  • rabbyduby
    rabbyduby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    albertabeefy Thank you so much for this wealth of knowledge.

I am constantly dieting but don't seem to loose any weight. I am diabetic and desperately trying to get off meds. Can you help me figure out how many grams of carbs to have per day? I can email you privately with my stats. Or an idea of how many to start with. Thanks in advance
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    albertabeefy Thank you so much for this wealth of knowledge.

I am constantly dieting but don't seem to loose any weight. I am diabetic and desperately trying to get off meds. Can you help me figure out how many grams of carbs to have per day? I can email you privately with my stats. Or an idea of how many to start with. Thanks in advance

Not alberta, but I'll step in here as a T2 who is philosophically aligned with albertabeefy.

The answer, in my opinion, is "as few as possible". Ketogenic diets are extremely effective for blood glucose control, and they generally start at less than 20 net carbs per day. Without knowing a lot about you, I'd likely recommend something like this per day: 20g net carbs, 100g protein, 125g of fat. Your net carbs (total carbohydrates minus fiber) should come from cruciferous (cabbage, bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower) and other leafy green vegetables -- this will ensure that you get adequate fiber.

For protein sources - meat, fish, normal proteins (i.e. not yogurt, etc., which has protein but also has carbs).

Fat sources - butter, nut butters, bacon, oils, meats, avocado...for a starter.

That'll put you around 1600kcal a day and ketogenic. For full disclosure, the first couple of weeks can be difficult for some people as they deal with low energy levels, occasional headaches, frequent urination, etc. This is a result of your body getting used to an alternate fuel source (ketones as opposed to glucose) and flushing glycogen. Ensuring that you're getting a good amount of sodium, potassium, and magnesium. You can do this by eating some offal (if you're into it, I am) or by supplementing (potassium salt is sold in grocery stores).

Hope this helps. Please feel free to follow up with any questions.
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    Bump for later.

Thanks for all the fantastic advice guys!!!
  • shepd1999
    shepd1999 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. There is a lot of info here and a lot to digest.
  • LisaU135
    LisaU135 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Saved for later.
  • Frannie1954
    Frannie1954 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later