Honest answer please.

Options
I need to lose about 20 - 30 pounds but I want to get in great shape. (Not fitness model style but really good)

How long will this take if I was to stick to my calories and went to the gym every day?

I am starting to lose motivation as I am not seeing the results as quickly as I thought I would.

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It will take as long as it takes.
    Results that take longer, tend to be more enduring.
    Focus on simply doing all you can to be healthy and to be fit, and let the weight loss come as it will.
    No-one can tell you how long it will take, as each body responds different to different changes.
    Find a lifestyle you can adhere to for life, without feeling constantly deprived or uncomfortable, and focus on how your body looks, rather than just the scale.
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    Everyone is different so it is nearly impossible to say. As long as you put in the time and keep the diet up, you will get the results. Just be patient.

Results aren't always obvious. Once you do see results, keep going. That is when it begins to get motivating.
  • mkshortall
    mkshortall Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just stay after it! I am doing P90X and results were slow at first but with any workout program if you stay after it and eat right you will see the results. Also knowing you earned them will make you want to keep them!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You've been a member since 2010. If you had stuck with it when you started this profile you would already be there.
  • JokjH
    JokjH Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just remember, muscle weighs more than fat, so even if ur scale isn't changing, ur measurements probably are. Measure yourself once a week and only once. Our weight fluctuates during the day so I suggest that after you weigh yourself u measure yourself. Sometimes we don't see the results but a tape measure does.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I need to lose about 20 - 30 pounds but I want to get in great shape. (Not fitness model style but really good)

How long will this take if I was to stick to my calories and went to the gym every day?

I am starting to lose motivation as I am not seeing the results as quickly as I thought I would.

Let's say you lose a half pound a week which is a really reasonable goal. That's actually going to slow up the closer you get to your goal weight but I think that if you stick with it you can be in pretty impressive shape in 4-6 months. It depends on how serious you are about this and of course there's some genetics in play. If you don't do it the 4-6 months will pass anyway. It's just up to you if you want to look back in 6 months and say "Damn! I look good" or "Damn, I wished I would have worked harder or started earlier". The time will pass no matter what. Make good use of it.

Start incorporating some weight training ASAP. This is the biggest factor to people getting the look that they desire I think. Start yesterday if you can. You don't have to be perfect at it but get started and start learning. Of course add in some light cardio 3-4 times a week to help out but hit the nutrition as the highest priority, strength training next, then cardio if you can do some. You'll be amazed at what you can accomplish if you really want it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You've been a member since 2010. If you had stuck with it when you started this profile you would already be there.

Basically this.

What does myfitnesspal estimate for you when your complete your journal everyday?

But if I had to pick a time frame, I would guesstimate 3 months.
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Outer strength is reflective of inner strength.
    if you have been at it for this long and have not made gains, maybe you should take a look at your internal motivation and drive.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    It is hard to set an exact time you will have the body you want. For me when I started I had 120+ pounds to lose now I have around 100, it seems almost un-doable sometimes but you can't say I want it by summer, end of 2013 or anything that. Just let you body work at it's own pace
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    15 to 30 weeks, I'd say.

But if you're anything like me you will stagnate near or at the last 10 pounds, even if you eat right and follow calorie goals for the day.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Can't predict how long it will take to lose but if you're working out and eating well and staying at a deficit you should see results. Good luck!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    It can take three months, it could take nine months if you do it right.. I've been trying to lose 20 since Jan 1 and I still have 5.5lbs to lose... I've been doing it right though, focusing solely on BF% and measurements, lifting and a slight deficit
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options

THIS. (And believe me, I learned the hard way.)

Best of luck to you, just KEEP GOING!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It depends largely on you... How honest you are with your intake/output... your body make up, your physical strength and endurance, etc. How close you are to your goal, your height, your endurance, your hormone level, your age, your metabolism... Too many factors really to assess... You COULD potentially get where you want in maybe 10-12 weeks but the closer you get to goal, the more results tend to slow down. best wishes on attaining your goal.
  • chefwrx
    chefwrx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What is your plan to reach your goal? At a moderate 1 pound per week, your goal could be reached in a little over half a year. If you try a more intense/extreme path, you could shed that weight in a few months.
    Are you going to diligently track your intake, and hit your caloric and macronutrient targets?
    Are you going to exercise?
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the best way to approach this is to make genuine changes to your lifestyle: eat clean and challenge your body with real exercise every day. If you focus more on the journey than the goal, you can enjoy the subtle improvements along the way: you will start to feel better, sleep better, be less sick, fit in your clothes better.... Don't just stare ahead at that "30 Pounds to Lose" mark with impatience. Every single day of healthy living is a better day than the one before! Good luck and STICK WITH IT!
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Just make exercising and healthy eating a lifestyle and the results will come. You won't be so worried about when, because it will be your life.
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    What works for me is not focusing on the speed. It's about the ultimate goal. Whatever it takes, however long it takes, I will do it. That's really what keeps me going. That & the awesome support of everyone here on MFP :)

Right now, I'm down 10 lbs. since the first week January. My parameters are setup to the default 1 lb. / week. So after 12, going on 13 weeks, I'm not on the 1 lb. / week schedule. Who cares? The important thing is I'm making progress. I'm eating right and I'm exercising consistently.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    lol
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ad4aa_ORIG-kelso_burn.gif

honestly though, the reason you may not be seeing whopping dramatic results is that by your profile pic's you don't seem to be very out of shape to begin with. maybe those last few pounds or fine tuning take greater effort and more time. not to say it won't be worth it but just so you have a plan and realistic goals. maybe you could find some people on here to friend who are close to their goals too, or who have achieved toning and fitness results from an already almost in shape starting point. good luck! you will be even more beautiful and strong once you achieve your goals. :flowerforyou: