Ideas for a healthy lamb curry?

princessorchid
princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
edited September 20 in Recipes
I bough some casserole lamb from the farmers market at the weekend, and I've also got a leg of lamb for dinner tonight as my boyfriend and his friends will be back from their weekend away tonight - we usually have leftovers though. I often make curry, but I'm looking for a healthy version as my usual contains coconut milk.

Thanks!

Replies

• lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Hi,

I'm not sure where you are from so I don't know if you have the same brands... but something like Carnation light and creamy (low fat evaporated milk) is a good substitute for coconut milk. It is available in coconut flavour (in some places) or you can add some coconut essence or you can just use it plain - the taste difference isn't that much.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    there is a "light" version of coconut milk... but why not try a Karachi instead?
    1½ kilo of lamb.
    2 tablespoons of ghee or clarified butter, (if you want to stay away from the fats, try a butter sub)
    3 large onions chopped finely,
    Tin of Italian plum tomatoes,
    15 cloves of garlic,
    A thumbful of peeled fresh ginger,
    1/3 pint of water,
    1 heaped tablespoon of ground coriander,
    1 tablespoon of cumin,
    2 teaspoon of chilli
    1 tablespoon of paprika,
    2 teaspoons of turmeric,
    4 red fresh red and green chillies liquidised in a little water,
    8 ounces of frozen spinach defrosted and pureed,
    1lb of fresh spinach,
    1 tablespoon of Garam Masala (recipe below)
    A bunch of fresh coriander.
  • dulcy
    dulcy Posts: 69 Member
    why not try this Lamb tagine, Use lean meat, & very little oil, or an oil substitute spray.
    Reduce the cooking time is the lamb is left over from a roast.
    This recipe is enough for 2-3 people & obviously you can leave out the olives is not liked or if you're being really good but they do add something to the dish!

(also you can spoon off any surface fat if needed)

Very easy to make just cook slowly in the oven.
    You can cook this and freeze it or cook ahead & reheat later, just stop before you add the olives & parsley. Then deforst thoroughly if frozen & gently warm through add the olives & parsley & cook for another 15 mins.

oil for cooking
    400/500g pack of Lamb neck fillet
    2 small or one large onion
    2 cloves garlic
    2 tbsp morrocan spice mix (I use Bart, Ras El Hanout, from Tesco with all the spices in a little jar)
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 pint hot lamb stock
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    Pitted green olives(I used fresh ones marinated in lemon & garlic from Tesco deli)
    handful of chopped flat leaf parsley.

Cous cous to serve (I used flavoured packet, not plain)

Cut the lamb into cubes
    Heat a little oil in an oven proof pan/ casserole
    Fry the lamb until browned.
    Remove from the pan
    fry the onions & garlic for a few mins until softened but not brown, add a little extra oil if needed
    Add the spices & fry gemtly for 1 min.
    add the lamb back to the pot, mix in with the spices
    Add the lamb stock & give a good stir making sure you mix any spices on the bottom of the pan.
    Put in the oven at about 180c or gas 4 & leave to cook for about 2 hours. If you have longer turn the oven down a touch & give it a bit more time.
    About 15 mins before serving add the lemon juice & olives & prepare the cous cous.
    Just before serving stir through the chopped parsley.

Serve in bowls & pour over plenty of the liquid.

Enjoy! x
This discussion has been closed.