night shifts

Options
13»

Replies

• angelicamendoza2
    angelicamendoza2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    oh no i completely understand! ive been there!! for a short period i went to the gym after work, its sooo excausting!! great job staying!!
    thank you :) this is day 2 of the gym, normally I just walk 2 miles. I want to try Zumba as I have heard it is fun and very effective.
  • laurenh729
    laurenh729 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thats how i lost (and kept off) 52 lbs! started with zumba 3 days a week and LOVE it!
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I work six hours on, six hours off, 24/7, for 28 days in a row, and then have 28 off. It is nuts. It took me two years to really get a system in place that works for me and stops me from going on exhaustion carb binges. You can do it. Have healthy snacks packed with protein available to grab when you're hungry, and really ask yourself, "Am I Hungry, or Bored?"

I bow down to you, there is no way I would be able to keep that schedule. I bet the 28 days off is a nice payoff though. :drinker:

OP, I have found that working out before work is way easier than after work, especially while working nights.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I work midnight until 8 a.m. I log my meals as
    Meal 1
    Meal 2
    Meal 3
    Meal 4
    Meal 5.

I run when I get home in the morning and my bedtime is between 2 and 3 p.m.. I get up between 9 and 10 p.m. I log what I eat as I eat my meals. I have no set breakfast lunch or dinner as far as a log, just my meals.
  • StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    It is hard! I wake at 7 am and work 2pm till 10pm. I swear there are too many hours in my days to only get the calories I'm allotted. My job is also pretty seditary too. :-[ but all we can do is the best we can :-)
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I literally read this as "night s-h-i-t-s" XD
  • angelicamendoza2
    Options
    I literally read this as "night s-h-i-t-s" XD

lol i bet you must of thought this is a must read :)
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Doing third shift is very hard for so many different reasons! I work 11p-7a Friday-Wednesday, and I've tried so many different things, but I've found that flipping everything around worked best, so I'm in the process of doing that.

Here's what worked best for me:
    9-10pm Wake up and have breakfast / get ready for work
    11p Work
    12a Snack
    3-4a Lunch (I work an unsupervised position, so I literally can do whatever I want so long as I get my work done)
    I usually try to have a banana or some other light snack between 4-7
    7-730a Gym
    9a ish- dinner
    12-2p bed

That's what worked the best for me, but like someone that wanted to be social... I tried to change my schedule up to fit better with day people. I've gained too much weight doing that, and I found I don't goto the gym either. So fugggg that. I'll be non-social.. but I'll be healthier at least!
  • angelicamendoza2
    Options
    must be nice to work with no supervision.. i know what you mean by trying to change it up to function with day people.. I was eating with them during the day and with my co workers at night :(
  • tiggercub20
    tiggercub20 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts on nights. I work 6pm to 6 am. I've been on this shift for a few YEARS now and have put on about 30 lbs. I need to drop the weight, I feel SOOO bad. There are many days I might not get a real lunch break, more like heat up food and eat as fast as possible or grab fast food and eat it while driving (I've been really good about not having fast food often). I have been having a hard time holding myself accountable food wise. It has been my guilty pleasure. I have a high stress job and eating is apparrently my method of coping, I'm trying to change this to listening to music. I have time to snack but not time to sit down and eat at work. I am also getting married in September. I had lost about 10 lbs a few months ago but have gained most of it back. I feel like a yo-yo. I stick to counting calories for a while (and lose weight) and then I get stressed out or lazy and quit (and gain it back). I am promising myself that I will make time to sit down and have real (healthy) meals at work, and to go jogging at least 3 days a week. I would never break a promise to anyone else and I need to learn to put myself on my top priority list. I really need some help holding myself accountable and sticking to this. If anyone need some help as well please let me know, we could help eachother! I'm more than willing to hand out my e-mail that I can check on my phone to help get eachother through this! Thank you so much for listening! :)