should i squat/deadlift?

I have not looked at myself in a mirror for years but since going to the gym and doing strength training i've been forced to look at myself and have discovered i have a hunch on my back most likely hereditary as grandad and his family had them.
I will continue with the rest of the my weight training as it doesnt seem to be effecting it.
My question is should i squat/deadlift (sorry not sure which exercise it is) as essentially the bar will be resting on my hunch?

Replies

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    If I am understanding correctly, this may be a question for a doctor. Random internet people aren't going to know what this hunch on your back is composed of or how lifting heavy weights will affect it.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Personally, I would go to a decent sports therapy centre and get some advice. They may even be able to give you a corrective plan which would assist you with your seeming kyphosis / spine curvature.

I think it will be very difficult for anyone to give you appropriate advice "blind".
  • cfbuss29
    cfbuss29 Posts: 11
    You can do squats with resistance bands and medicine balls and get the same results, look into that.

Also here is a video to show you how to properly deadlift so this is also still an option.
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-deadlift-with-proper-technique/

Make sure you educate yourself on what types of lifting you are doing, dont guess and injure yourself.
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    I have an appointment for my gp next week and i've never heard of a sports therapy centre, will search one out.
    Suppose my underlying question was if someone had experience of this. Thank you for your responses :-)