Numbness in extremeties, help from pros please...

leavinglasvegas
leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I noticed while I was gaining weight that my arms and hands would fall asleep at night and it would wake me up. My legs would fall asleep all the time during the day to a painful degree. I don't recall when it started or stopped.

I've lost 49 pounds total as of now. Its started again! (I'm guessing I must've been about this size when it used to happen???)

I wake up at least 3 times per night because my arms have fallen asleep. Its that pins and needles feeling, numb hands....sometimes even up to the shoulders. Regardless of my weight, I've always had a strange numbing sensation in my upper arms when doing exercises like arm circles, arm raises, and the like.

I asked an exercise physiologist (just about when exercising) and he suggested that alter those exercises with arms bent as much as possible. That helps, as it seems worse when they are straight. Like the weight of my own arm is triggering some strange nerve response or something.

Anyway, now that this is happening in my sleep again, I'm wondering if my change in weight has something to do with it? Does that make any sense? Can anybody suggest any particular exercises that can get me through this portion of my weight loss more comfortably? OR- Do you think I should be concerned?

Thanks!
Holly

Replies

• jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Personally, I'd be concerned. I would seek advice from a liscenced physician. I just went to the doctor Saturday, and he asked me if I had been experiencing symptoms such as you described. And I'm a diabetic.

Again, I wouldn't leave it up to a bunch of random people on a message board to help me on something like this.

I hope its nothing. Good luck!
  • AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    Hi there! I too suffer from this! It's so frustrating and it hurts! The only thing that I can honestly say that has help was to see a massage therapist. Aparrently it's caused my overly tensed muscles in the neck and back that cause this to happen! I regularly see a massag therapist to work out the knots in my muscles and the problem went away. I usualy see my massage therapist once every 2 or 3 weeks...any less I start feeling it again.

Good luck and know that you are not alone :flowerforyou:
  • RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    I agree with jerren. Set up an appointment with your doctor today and talk with them about it. Definitely mention your recent exercise routine and diet changes, and use this opportunity to discuss other weight loss methods with them.
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    I have that numbness in my fingers at night. Talked to the doctor and she said it was nothing. Still have it, so I just wake up and move my fingers. I don't have it in my feet. Please check with the doctor anyway for blood work. My blood work didn't say anything about diabetes, just high chloestrol, good and bad fat leves.:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong...but aren't you having food allergy/intolerance/celiac-type issues?

Because, this can be a symptom of vitamin deficiencies.

Or, it can be a symptom of muscle tension (my osteo. every once in a while helps when my hands go numb.)

But, definitely mention it to your doctor.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Yes I am dealing with some food allergy/intollerances and I'm in the process of waiting on celiac/cancer results from some biopsies. My blood is checked pretty often for nutrition deficiencies and so far I'm doing pretty well. (Well enough that I don't even have to go back to the endo till the end of May) And everything else is perfect, no diabetes, cholesterol, etc. I do have PCOS, but my blood sugar is good.

I suspected massage and chiropractic would be a good route to take, but its just not in the budget at the moment. My PCP is a DO, maybe he can try some adjustments for me. I'll make an appointment today.

I do have fibromyalgia too. Considering that is all about the nerves, it might be worth it to talk to the doc too. I asked when this was happening way back when the weight started piling on and they said it was nothing. Might be worth a second opinion considering they said my weight gain was nothing as well and that certainly turned out to be something.

Any other opinions, suggestions, stories, etc still welcome!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    I just read over the weekend that those symptoms can be associated with celiac disease. I used to get that regularly.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Yes I am dealing with some food allergy/intollerances and I'm in the process of waiting on celiac/cancer results from some biopsies. My blood is checked pretty often for nutrition deficiencies and so far I'm doing pretty well. (Well enough that I don't even have to go back to the endo till the end of May) And everything else is perfect, no diabetes, cholesterol, etc. I do have PCOS, but my blood sugar is good.

I suspected massage and chiropractic would be a good route to take, but its just not in the budget at the moment. My PCP is a DO, maybe he can try some adjustments for me. I'll make an appointment today.

I do have fibromyalgia too. Considering that is all about the nerves, it might be worth it to talk to the doc too. I asked when this was happening way back when the weight started piling on and they said it was nothing. Might be worth a second opinion considering they said my weight gain was nothing as well and that certainly turned out to be something.

Any other opinions, suggestions, stories, etc still welcome!

Totally a symptom of fibro, too....but talk to the doc. My osteo does this (slightly painful) massage on my forearm and it usually clears up...could be your neck/shoulder muscles locking up....that's often the case with me.:flowerforyou:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Well, I see the GI guy on Monday. So I'll have my results then. Meanwhile, I'll see my PCP. Maybe he can adjust me or something. I'm probably better off going back to the neurologist. My PCP is kind of clueless unless he can write a perscription, lol.
This discussion has been closed.