Hiya!

nicbeast
nicbeast Posts: 21 Member
edited September 18 in Introduce Yourself
I'm new to myfitnesspal. My goal is to lose 61 pounds by the end of the year. I've mostly been good. I try anyway. I am trying to stay between 1200-1500 calories a day.

I do have a question, exercising gains you extra calories for the day on here which never occurred to me. Do you follow that or do you stick with a strict calorie count before the exercise? i.e. 1200 calories for the day + 300 calories in exercise = 1500 for the day. OR, 1200 calories for the day + 300 in exercising = still 1200 calories for the day. Does that make sense? I'm such a dork. :noway:

Anyway! Hi!! Hope to hear from you, and best of luck!

Replies

• nicbeast
    I'm new to myfitnesspal. My goal is to lose 61 pounds by the end of the year. I've mostly been good. I try anyway. I am trying to stay between 1200-1500 calories a day.

I do have a question, exercising gains you extra calories for the day on here which never occurred to me. Do you follow that or do you stick with a strict calorie count before the exercise? i.e. 1200 calories for the day + 300 calories in exercise = 1500 for the day. OR, 1200 calories for the day + 300 in exercising = still 1200 calories for the day. Does that make sense? I'm such a dork. :noway:

Anyway! Hi!! Hope to hear from you, and best of luck!
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Welcome:flowerforyou: I am allowed 1220calories and if I exercise 200calories then I enter it into my exercise calculator and it automatically adds it to my 1220 then I have 1420 calories I can eat that day. Hope I didn't confuse you any.:happy:
  • nicbeast
    Yeah, I was just wondering if other people ignored the calories they burned and stuck to the starting calorie intake. Feels like cheating eating those burned calories lol.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    It's not cheating, because the programme has already accounted for your weight loss, so anything you do ontop of that, is excess. There are some people on this site that firmly believe that if you do not eat those extra calories, that your body goes into "starvation mode" and that weight loss can actually be more slow and difficult.

Think of it as in Weight Watchers when you earn "activity points" for exercising. I personally find that if I don't exercise, I am really hungry on only 1200 calories (I usually burn around 500 a day working out - I count on those calories!).

Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Welcome and best of luck to you! The jury is out on whether or not to eat the extra calories, most say you should, that you're body needs the extra. I try to stay over 1200, if I exercise and burn 300 then I'll eat closer to 1500.....but not always the full 300, for me it really depends on what time of day I exercise and how hungry I am. I feel good and satisfied, I always eat some protein after exercise and I do my best! It's working for me, experiment and see what works for you!
  • sbacon1203
    sbacon1203 Posts: 307 Member
    First of all you're not a dork :wink: I try and stay between 1100 -1200 calories a day with or without excercise. On the weeks I excercise I lost an extra pound. I'm averaging 2lb per week and excercise weeks it is 3lb. I don't log my excercise because I'm toooo tempted to eat those calories, now who's the dork!!

It truely is your choice. The very best to you :smile:
  • nicbeast
    I don't log my excercise because I'm toooo tempted to eat those calories, now who's the dork!!

Bahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! DORKS UNITE!!

The temptation is the more I exercise, the more I can eat...which I guess is ok. I guess I'll play it by ear. On the days I'm hungrier, I'll eat more, on the days I'm not, I'll eat less...common sense right?
  • Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    Nick common sense is the right approach. Try it both ways. It sounds as if your calories are a little low anyway. Try logging your excercise at the very end of the day. Good Luck
  • nicbeast
    That's a really good idea! Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.