About to go on a cruise.

Options
Leaving on a cruise tomorrow. 4 nights. Happy to be getting away with my husband. Fearful of all the food on the ship. Any thoughts or ideas?

Replies

• kathy4557
    kathy4557 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I took a cruise n February. I managed to come home the same weight as when I left, so I was happy about that!.

We used the stairs a lot...walked the track up on deck and enjoyed the weather. At dinner I only ate appetizers that were protein, such as shrimp cocktail, etc.

And if I wanted something sweet, I stuck with fruit or sugar free choices. We also ordered our breakfast delivered to our stateroom so it was not necessary to go to the buffet.

I hope you have a wonderful time!! Curising is my favorite way to vacation!
  • christineogara
    christineogara Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kathy...I will certainly try my best.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hi-

I took my first ever cruise last April a few short weeks after joining mfp. I did not track on vaca but I lost 2 lbs. There are healthy choices to make. Enjoy yourself but don't overdo it. That's my advice.

PS: That chocolate lava cake - yeah I ordered that every night for our table and we shared. :smile:

HAVE FUN!
  • MrsTheunissen
    MrsTheunissen Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    They do have a gym on the ship. And just drink alot of water because I know that they put alot of salt in the food. Have been working on cruise ships for 4 years and the biggest problem moste guests have is that they want bigger plates so they don't need to get up again to get more :noway: But they do...
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Leaving on a cruise tomorrow. 4 nights. Happy to be getting away with my husband. Fearful of all the food on the ship. Any thoughts or ideas?

Just enjoy! We went on a cruise last year and loved it!!! The food on the ship was delicious!! Life is too short to worry about 'diet's' on a 4 day vacation! Eat up and enjoy! Try to get a lot of walking and activities in and make a commitment to start again when you return!
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options

Just enjoy! We went on a cruise last year and loved it!!! The food on the ship was delicious!! Life is too short to worry about 'diet's' on a 4 day vacation! Eat up and enjoy! Try to get a lot of walking and activities in and make a commitment to start again when you return!

This. I mean, don't eat 10k calories a day or anything, but have some of everything you want. It's a cruise, you're paying for that food! I gained 3.8 lbs in four days over Easter weekend visiting my parents...a couple of days of juicing and yogurt and it's almost gone.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options

Great question! I was thinking the same thing although my cruise is this coming august. I am so excited for my first cruise, but scared as well. I am scared that that work and determination will go out the window for the 5-6 days I am away. Sigh

Have a great time!
  • maryv83
    maryv83 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to see this thread. I am going on a cruise later this year and was dreading all the foods that are readily available. I'm going to be sure to use the walking/jogging track on one of the decks and the gym. At least that way, I can still eat what I want (but in moderation).
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    eat and be merry! Not like youre taking a cruise every day. Even if it was 7 days you cant undo all your hard work in that short a period of time.
  • kathy4557
    kathy4557 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So, how was the trip? Did you have a fantastic time!!
  • Scott2ndGradeTeacher
    Scott2ndGradeTeacher Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You can also forego the elevators in favor of the stairs.

It's a small step (no pun intended), but it might help.

Oh yes, and all that self-discipline stuff...which is so hard on a cruise ship! (...or not on a cruise ship!)
  • zubin14
    zubin14 Posts: 16
    Options
    Just have a safe trip and enjoy yourself. You'll come home relaxed and better able to handle all life's stresses.:flowerforyou:
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I too am going on a cruise in less than 2 weeks. I will be gone for 12 days and 11 nights. I personally am not aiming to lose anything during the trip but to at least maintain what I have lasted so far. The last time I went on the cruise I had breakfast in the room...fresh fruit yummm. And really did not go over board nor did I gain anything. This time I am going to use the gym. Last time I did not...plus I am going to do some swimming too. Stairs not sure on those as I have issues with my feet any case I am looking forward to this getaway.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to see this thread. I am going on a cruise later this year and was dreading all the foods that are readily available. I'm going to be sure to use the walking/jogging track on one of the decks and the gym. At least that way, I can still eat what I want (but in moderation).

This. I am going on a cruise this August (9 days) and I am planning on drinking plenty of water, using the gym each day and eating/drinking a bit of anything I want, because, hey, I'm on vacation and I deserve it, and so do you!
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    another cruiser in august for many days. We now that we will be making better choices because we know what is best. I know you will do well and have a great time. Be kind to yourself along the way - you/we have saved for a wonderful vacation and don't need the baggage of bringing ourselves down. Have a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    it's 4 days, you aren't going to do that much damage!

enjoy yourself.
    don't eat until it hurts!

go to the gym and use the stairs if you want.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Stay active and enjoy some of the more expensive healthy things that aren't always on your grocery list- the shrimp mentioned earlier is a good choice. Same with unlimited fresh fruits and vegetables. Try to avoid the "I paid for multiple trips to the buffet, I may as well eat it all" trap. If you eat another $10/day worth of food to make sure you get what you paid for, was it worth the $40 savings (over 4 days) to see the effects on the scale when you get home?

Fortunately, the only cruise DH and I took was heavy on hiking, kayaking, even a snorkeling expedition in 42-degree water (Alaska). The food was plentiful but healthy and well-prepared and wasn't a main focus of the cruise. We liked it so much we're going again next year.