How long before you could see your results in the mirror?

Options
Since starting MFP in December 2012, I've reclaimed a notch on my belt, gone back down a shirt size, and lost over 10 pounds. All that said, when I look in the mirror, I don't see less fat, more definition, or anything else I'd point to as a visual indicator that I've made improvements to my physique. I've also yet to hear any comments from those around me to indicate they've noticed a difference, other than in my food choices.

How long did other folks go before they started to really notice their results in the mirror, or have those around them take notice?

Replies

• cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell by looking in the mirror because you see yourself every day.

I didn't see it in the mirror for a very long time, but I did notice it in pictures. I take new pictures every time I lose 10 pounds and put the new pictures next to the original pictures that were taken when I weighed about 350. The differences are obvious, even if I can't see them when I'm just looking in the mirror.

My boyfriend is the same way. He can't see much of a difference because he sees me every day and the changes are so gradual and subtle, but when I show him the pictures next to each other, he goes, "Whoa. That's awesome."
  • mariehd1979
    Options
    From what i know you have to lose at least 20 pounds to really see a change and for comments of others about you losing some weight. It's the same thing on the other side, if you gain 10 pounds people won't notice.
    Keep on going, the important thing is that you know it and feel it :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell by looking in the mirror because you see yourself every day.

I didn't see it in the mirror for a very long time, but I did notice it in pictures. I take new pictures every time I lose 10 pounds and put the new pictures next to the original pictures that were taken when I weighed about 350. The differences are obvious, even if I can't see them when I'm just looking in the mirror.

My boyfriend is the same way. He can't see much of a difference because he sees me every day and the changes are so gradual and subtle, but when I show him the pictures next to each other, he goes, "Whoa. That's awesome."

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read the title. I bet if you brought out some pictures from last year, you'd notice the difference right away. That's where I usually see the big differences too. Hell, I didn't even realize just how fat I'd gotten until I saw some pictures of myself. Anyway, same goes with those that see you every day, they may not have noticed the small gradual changes. Plus, some folks just aren't wired to give compliments - they're either jerks/jealous or don't think that way - so don't take it personally.

Keep doing what you're doing and be proud of your accomplishments!
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    always take pictures! I didn't notice them much either, but from the pics I can clearly see the changes :)
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Started to get comments about my size (less of me) at about 20 pounds down. To be honest I still have a hard time seeing the weight off in the mirror when I look.
  • CrystaLight74
    Options
    I noticed changes in the mirror at the 10 lb. mark. Others didn't start commenting until I was 20 lbs. down. Everyone is different. Be patient with yourself... AND others :)
  • Tann33
    Tann33 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Around 20 pounds for me.
  • GingerBiscuit_19
    GingerBiscuit_19 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My mum says I've lost weight, but she's my mum and she's being nice lol :)

I actually noticed how much I've lost when I was in the bath last night actually. Less of my belly is out of the water! And it feels alot firmer and stuff. I'm losing boob too, much to my disappointment :(
  • ecoldbrook
    Options
    I hope to start seeing a change soon, but so far (-17lbs) it hasn't happened. Not too demoralizing when I know my clothes are getting baggy though. :)
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I still can't really see it in the mirror. I'm down to 118 from 139 and I just don't see much of a difference. I do notice a difference in my pants. Fitting into my size 6 curvy jeans took some serious wiggling and shimmying and they were uncomfortable for about 30 minutes until they stretched out a bit. Now I can slip right into a size 4 regular jeans right out of the dryer, no wiggling required. Towards the end of they day they start getting saggy. I have a pair of size 2 jeans that are my goal. I can get them on and buttoned with the same muffin top that I used to get from the 6. If all goes well, I'll finish round 2 of Insanity in May and they'll fit and I can go into maintenance.
  • brianrodenkirk
    brianrodenkirk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to MFP, so I'm still early in my transformation. I'm down 7lbs since joining, and down a total of 15lbs since I started this journey. I can sort of see a small change in myself when I look in the mirror, but it's the way that some clothes are starting to fit, and a big change in my overall health that are the first indicators to me that change is happening.

I did have a family member mention over Easter weekend that they could see a change in my face/neck that I've lost some weight. It's rewarding when other people do start to notice, because it means that all the hard work you're putting in the gym, and the changes you've made to your food choices are getting noticeable results.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Good insights so far, folks. Thanks.