Sugars

Options
mo1700
mo1700 Posts: 78 Member
After lunch and dinner I like a little something to finish off my meal! I mostly have fruit or yoghurt which I think of as healthy and good for me.

Problem is that I'm type 2 diabetic and have been ill over last 10 months (unrelated to diabetes) I'm now on a long slow steady phased return to work and need to get healthier and lose the excess weight I put on whilst poorly.

Most of my breakfasts have fruit in them which means over the course of the day if I eat more fruit I am getting a lot of sugar. I never used to worry as it was all natural but I really need to lower my sugar and chlorestrol over next few months or they will want to put me on medication which I am resistant to doing.

So does anyone have any good ideas of things lowish in sugar that completes a meal?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

Replies

1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    That's a hard one. I suggest searching for sugar contents in fruit and going for the lowest sugar options. Sometimes 90% dark chocolate will have less sugar as well. You may just have to do some googling for this one.
  • Wen37
    Wen37 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Quaker makes Low Sugar Oatmeal instant packets. They have fruit varities and their good. I switched to them from regular oatmeal becasue reg would put me over my sugar limit every day.
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi my husband is a diabetic to and his doing this. In just 4 weeks on here he has gone from 95kgs to 88kgs but even better he was having 3 injections of insulin a day . Now he is only having one! And even that one has lowered the units he takes.

For breakfast he has Special K with low fat milk and strawberries. Coffee and milk.
    For lunch he has 4 slices of bread 10g low salt butter then either choice of sliced pkt low fat turkey or ham and Swiss cheese and tomato and lettuce. Or salad with tuna and still bread. He loves his bread. I found Atlantic bread has the lowest sugar, carb fat content.
    Dinner we have a protein chicken, meat or fist with 3 or 4 veg a nice big plate full. Sometimes pasta or veg soup is great to.
    If he has done more exercise he will have more calories and his blood sugar will be lower then he can afford to have fruit. Different fruit has different amounts of sugar. We go by how his blood level is and as long as its between 3 -7 and has to be under 10 his doing ok.
    When his in pain even eating the right food we find his blood sugar goes in low teens, but a few hours later will drop again.
    I know sometimes we like to have something but the whole thing of trying to be healthy is a little restrain just have it later not that you cant. The more exercise you do the more you can have or have spare to take of weight. I know sometimes we just cant do exercise when we aren't well. But if you keep eating right it will work out in the end.
    I hope that helps a little.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    After lunch and dinner I like a little something to finish off my meal! I mostly have fruit or yoghurt which I think of as healthy and good for me.

Problem is that I'm type 2 diabetic and have been ill over last 10 months (unrelated to diabetes) I'm now on a long slow steady phased return to work and need to get healthier and lose the excess weight I put on whilst poorly.

Most of my breakfasts have fruit in them which means over the course of the day if I eat more fruit I am getting a lot of sugar. I never used to worry as it was all natural but I really need to lower my sugar and chlorestrol over next few months or they will want to put me on medication which I am resistant to doing.

So does anyone have any good ideas of things lowish in sugar that completes a meal?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

There are several forums on this site referencing Dr. Fuhrman and his diet. I have been reading them and nothing really in reference to diabetes, however there are many people here that claiming they were able to treat type 2 with just his diet. Treat, meaning getting off the pills and insulin shots.

Again, I don't promote his diets/books./treatments. I just reviewed his concepts, like Atkins or Weight Watchers and been experiencing with plant based foods. I had my cholesterol re-checked last weekend after 9 weeks of his diet and mine went down from 189 to 138. This is a 27% reduction.

You are welcome to review my food diary and I would strongly recommend researching his foods and what they do for weight loss/health improvements. Best to you in your journey.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Perhaps exclude ur fruits with breakfast or eat half of a fruit and save it for after lunch and dinner :)
  • Bennett056
    Bennett056 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You might try sugar free jello or pudding. No nutritional value but it might help with the need for something sweet.
  • mo1700
    mo1700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions, its a big help and certainly gives me something to go on.

I will cut down on fruit and maybe eat half at breakfast and half at lunch, try some sugar free jelly and sugar free chewing gum and also try some of the other suggestions.

Cheers all.