Crossfit

Options
any crossfitters out there have suggestions on caloric intake when you are 4+ days a week at the box? Depending on what I research i am getting different answers. This site says i should only be about 1200 cals, BMR index and activity level say 2200. I am at a loss and cannot seem to cut. Any ideas would be awesome

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest here, I've never done Crossfit but I do lift 3x/week, krav maga, plus some other cardio so I might be helpful.

This site uses 1200 cals for a lot of people - especially if you've entered 2lb/week and/or sedentary.

This is what I've done, I used "In Place of a Road Map" (I used version 2 but a forum search, you'll find version 3), I calculated my BMR & TDEE. I did a 10% cut off of the appropriate activity level and I set my MFP goal to that and I eat that every day no matter what. I log my workouts as 1 calorie burned so I don't have to worry about eating exercise calories back since they're built into my TDEE value.

So what you can do is either: set your MFP goal at BMR and eat back your exercise calories OR set your MFP goal at TDEE - 20% (I'm assuming you're looking to lose more weight than I am since MFP set you at 1200 cals).

If you chose to do the TDEE - 20% method, I believe the appropriate activity level for you is "moderately active" since you're doing Crossfit 4 times a week.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My wife eats 1300 + what she burns at the box. so she is averaging about 1800-2000 cals a day. I do the same thing but I average about 2500-3000 cals on the days I do Crossfit
  • mountaingirl1961
    mountaingirl1961 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have a book called "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald that I like a lot. It's designed for endurance athletes, but the principles apply to anyone who's focused on fitness performance and not just weight loss. I do Crossfit as an adjunct to fitness for endurance sports so it's an excellent fit for me.

He walks you through how to figure your basal metabolic rate, the calories you burn (on average) during exercise, the calories you burn the rest of the day, and then gives you the equations for figuring out your daily caloric needs. He has another book, "Racing Weight Quick Start Guide", which modifies the standard "Racing Weight" method for those who need to lose weight while maintaining/enhancing performance readiness. I like it a lot and it's what I've been following.