Insanity diet Question..

Options
Guamybear
Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
Just started Insanity with my neighbor.. I share my neighbors disc so I don't have the paperwork or book that it came with. I did read that your macros should be 40% 40% 20% so I changed those numbers but I was wondering if it is really necessary to up my cals to the 2000 they say to eat. My MFP calculations are 1460 and if I eat back my cals burned would that be okay?

Replies

• squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking if you log your Insanity exercises in MFP it will also tell you to eat around 2,000z I think the 1,400something MFP is telling you is net calories. The calculation in the nutrition guide is already with the exercise included.

So in short: yes, eat back your calories and you'll be good
  • Guamybear
    Options
    Yeah.. I think the 1400 was NET..
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    You will definitely need to net about 1400 a day if not more. Your body will tell you if that still isn't enough. I had to play around with mine for the first 2 weeks and ended up setting to 1550. I just started week 6 on Monday and my body is feeling like I need to up my fuel again. Just remember, Insanity is going you change your body even if you aren't following their meal plan. You just have to be flexible and know when you need to eat more, or less.

Just FYI, I'm 5'4" CW 178. Only lost 9 pounds with Insanity but a crap ton of inches. Throw your scale out, it will not motivate you if you are looking for numbers to go down in the first month.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think you can easily play around with MFP to get the results you want with Insanity. My experience is this - I don't follow the Insanity diet plan - I set my MFP macros at 40/30/30 and log/eat 200-300 calories for each Insanity workout (I start at 1700 pre-exercise). This has kept me losing weight while not being too hungry/tired, and for me is a lot simpler than the Insanity recommended diet.
  • ATHFat2Fit
    Options
    Actually what the previous poster said is spot on regarding weight loss. I have not heard from a single person who lost a lot of scale weight using Insanity but what it does do is get you in shape and tone you up and change your body - which ultimately is what we really want anyway since the scale weight is just a number.
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    (Men) Caloric needs = 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)
    (Women) Caloric needs = 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)

Caloric needs x 1.7 = Base doing Insanity

If you want to lose weight do the following:
    Base doing Insanity - 500 = Calories required

You will NOT eat back any workout calories. Only record 1 calorie burn in MFP so it doesn't mess with your total calories/macros to take in.

The above equation takes into account all the calories so there is no need to "eat back workout calories".

Make it easy on yourself and just do the equation above and make sure you hit the calorie goal set and stick to the macros as well. Many people freak out when they do this calculation because the caloric amount can be high. Don't worry about it. Just follow the guide as it's proven over and over to work for the nutrition intake your body needs doing Insanity.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I know, especially in month two, I was soo hungry! Its an intense workout so you will need to eat more, just make sure they are "good" calories
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the above. I'm 5'3", 138 pounds, 27 years old and my BMR is approximately 1400. I have an HRM so I get a more accurate sense of calories burned in the workouts. Month one, I was burning around 400, depending on the day but am more around 600 for month two. In month one, I was eating 1800 calories but I'm upping that to 2000 in month two so I at least net my BMR. If I'm still hungry, I will eat a little bit more but that seems to work well as far as giving me enough energy for the workouts and be satisfied all day. Definitely don't sweat the scale! Measure and take pictures! I don't have the link handy, but I have found the nutrition guide online before uploaded to somebody's blog or something, so you can find it. I don't follow the meal plan, just track my calories and macros here and am losing inches, fitting into old pants, and getting stronger.
  • Guamybear
    Options
    (Men) Caloric needs = 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)
    (Women) Caloric needs = 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)

You will NOT eat back any workout calories. Only record 1 calorie burn in MFP so it doesn't mess with your total calories/macros to take in.

The above equation takes into account all the calories so there is no need to "eat back workout calories".

Make it easy on yourself and just do the equation above and make sure you hit the calorie goal set and stick to the macros as well. Many people freak out when they do this calculation because the caloric amount can be high. Don't worry about it. Just follow the guide as it's proven over and over to work for the nutrition intake your body needs doing Insanity.

Wow.. if I follow that it says to eat about 2909 cals..

Here are my stats.. 63 inches tall, 196lbs, 43 years old.. did I figure that right?
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Here are my stats.. 63 inches tall, 196lbs, 43 years old.. did I figure that right?

When I plugged your numbers in I got 2723 and for weight loss, you want to subtract 500 from that so you would be eating around 2200. Which makes sense. I'm also 5'3" but weigh 139 and mine minus the 500 is around 1900.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I've used the Insanity calorie suggestions but not followed the nutrition guide, I've only lost 1lb and complete month 1 tomorrow but my progress pics show big changes. I'm hoping the scales will start moving when I start month 2.
  • Guamybear
    Options

When I plugged your numbers in I got 2723 and for weight loss, you want to subtract 500 from that so you would be eating around 2200. Which makes sense. I'm also 5'3" but weigh 139 and mine minus the 500 is around 1900.

That is still alot of cals.. I am not hungry with how I eat now.. hmm....