Is Insanity considered just cardio?

Options

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    something is seriously wrong with that burn.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Insanity is calisthenics. There are a lot of body weight exercises, too many to simply call it just cardio.

Yes.

I used to burn 400-500 depending on the workout.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    When I did Insanity I was burning 500-600 calories in my workouts and I was pushing HARD and my HR was in the same range as yours with the highest probably being 172.

Perhaps your HRM isn't set up properly?

In all honesty if you're pushing yourself hard with the Insanity you're not going to want to do any weight training. I was exhausted every time I finished the workout. Even if I went to the gym and lifted in the morning and then did Insanity in the afternoon/evening I'm fairly certain I'd get burned out and feel like I was exercising all day long.

I have checked everything on my HRM. Age, height, weight, max heart rate at 195 which is 226-29. is there anything else I should check?

Are you trying to hit your max HR because you shouldn't. You should probably aim for 85-90% of your max which would be 165-175. My range on my HRM is set for 154-164 BPM which is 85-90% of my max.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Insanity is 100% a cardio workout. Insanity Asylum incorporates stregnth training into the workouts. I typically only burn between 250-450 depending on the workout. Everyone is different, I have heard of people burning 600-800 which is crazy. I would suggest trying Asylum after Insanity. I feel it is a better all around program. I do the Insanity/Asylum hybrid...

Not so crazy if you are a fatass like me. I burned easily 500 calories doing Insanity.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    When I did Insanity I was burning 500-600 calories in my workouts and I was pushing HARD and my HR was in the same range as yours with the highest probably being 172.

In all honesty if you're pushing yourself hard with the Insanity you're not going to want to do any weight training. I was exhausted every time I finished the workout. Even if I went to the gym and lifted in the morning and then did Insanity in the afternoon/evening I'm fairly certain I'd get burned out and feel like I was exercising all day long.

I have checked everything on my HRM. Age, height, weight, max heart rate at 195 which is 226-29. is there anything else I should check?

Are you trying to hit your max HR because you shouldn't. You should probably aim for 85-90% of your max which would be 165-175. My range on my HRM is set for 154-164 BPM which is 85-90% of my max.

I honestly don't try to hit any number. I know that if I am around 165 that's my normal range. I work my butt off and the numbers are what they are.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

I honestly don't try to hit any number. I know that if I am around 165 that's my normal range. I work my butt off and the numbers are what they are.

There could honestly just be something wrong with your HRM. Even on the days where I thought I was sucking wind and didn't push as hard I still burned 400-500 calories.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Well, I am on week 3 and just finished the Plyometric DVD this morning. Ummmm, Level 1 (and 2) Drills! That's definitely strength training doing so many push-ups! I think it's way more than cardio. I find it boring though.

You should look into Jillian's Body Revolution. I got higher burns than month one of Insanity and it's only 35 minutes and uses dumbells (3, 5, and 8's are good). And it's so much fun and I never memorized it.

Also, I thought I would get higher burns from Insanity. I am bringing it and it feels like I am working my *kitten* off but I only get between 250 and 450 max (and that was only a couple of times so far).
  • micheleb15
    Options
    There could honestly just be something wrong with your HRM. Even on the days where I thought I was sucking wind and didn't push as hard I still burned 400-500 calories.

That never occured to me. I have no idea how to check it's accuracy. I don't know anyone with a HRM that I could borrow to test it out.
  • lgtahoe
    lgtahoe Posts: 96
    Options
    I am lifting a few days a week while following Insanity. There are a lot of body weight exercises, but nothing to take the place of squatting 90 lbs or benching 50 lbs. I split my workouts between morning and evening, and I'm careful to get enough protein and carbs before and after each workout for recovery. I'm only in month 1 though, so we'll see how I feel when I get to month 2.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options

What is your weight? Because 165 is pretty accurate it sounds like. But it just doesn't add up when you say 250 calories burned. You can calculate it that way.
  • micheleb15
    Options
    What is your resting heart rate? Because 165 is pretty accurate it sounds like. But it just doesn't add up when you say 250 calories burned.

When I first put on my HRM it's around 62, but that's after I just got dressed. I haven't actually put it on and laid on the couch to see what my actual resting heart rate is.

I am 5'2 and 155.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    something is seriously wrong with that burn.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the cals burn...everyone is different. I have been doing Insanity for over a year now, multiple rounds and I consistently burn 250-450 depending on the workout...
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's cardio.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options
    What is your resting heart rate? Because 165 is pretty accurate it sounds like. But it just doesn't add up when you say 250 calories burned.

When I first put on my HRM it's around 62, but that's after I just got dressed. I haven't actually put it on and laid on the couch to see what my actual resting heart rate is.

I am 5'2 and 155.

Assuming your avg heart rate is 162 for 40 minutes, your calories burned should add up to about 600...
    http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html

This website seems to be pretty accurate, entered my info and its roughly correct... I use a Polar FT4 HRM by the way
  • micheleb15
    Options

I am 5'2 and 155.

Assuming your avg heart rate is 162 for 40 minutes, your calories burned should add up to about 600...

This website seems to be pretty accurate, entered my info and its roughly correct... I use a Polar FT4 HRM by the way

Hmm, I have no idea what to think now. I use a Polar FT7.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options

I am 5'2 and 155.

Hmm, I have no idea what to think now. I use a Polar FT7.

Very strange. I think 165 is great, but there's no way you only burn 250 when your heart rate is at 80% throughout most of the workout. Especially when your resting heart rate is so phenomenal.
  • micheleb15
    Options
    [Very strange. I think 165 is great, but there's no way you only burn 250 when your heart rate is at 80% throughout most of the workout. Especially when your resting heart rate is so phenomenal.

Thanks for the input. Maybe I can talk my husband into buying one for him so I can try it out.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options
    According to this calculation

http://www.livestrong.com/article/78365-estimate-calories-burned-heart-rate/

You should also be burning around 600 :) Good luck, maybe try new batteries in that thingy that plugs onto your chest strap?
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    for a dumb down answer:
    High reps for a long duration= cardio and endurance. Which is how I think of Insanity anything. Love it anyway.
    You will develop lean muscle and you're working compound muscles when you're doing those push-ups (if you are doing correct form)

Lifting HEAVY (some previous user said squats and benching) is what is building strength.
    This would require low reps per set. You can find more information on bodybuilding sites and check journals for correct information.

I do a combination of strength training with a barbell and Insanity.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    A few things:

1. Insanity is not a full body workout. Nothing that uses absolutely no equipment can be a true full body workout, because a large portion of the muscles in the back and arms can only be worked by resisted pulling movements. When you are working with no equipment, you can only create resisted pushing movements (pushing your bodyweight off of the floor against gravity). In order to be able to make it into a true full body workout while sticking with exclusively bodyweight, you would need to supplement it with pullup-type exercises.

2. While it is possible to use bodyweight to build strength and muscle mass, the format of Insanity does not really lend itself to this except in the case of people who have atrophied muscles (in which case you will be seeing what is commonly referred to as "noob gains"). In that respect, yes, it is mostly all cardio. You can supplement Insanity with weight training, but you would have to completely redo the schedule in order to allow for proper rest after weight training days, so you would really only be doing 1-2 Insanity workouts a week in addition to your weight training. Rest days are a crucial part of a weight training regimen.