Upping protein - sodium issues and no weight loss?

Options

Replies

• holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and I get 80-90g of protein per day and usually I have no trouble staying under 1,500mg sodium. Have you considered any non-animal sources?

I just eat beans, lentils or tofu with every meal and make sure I get some methionine sources, too.

Also, why are your nuts so salty? All my nuts are just... nuts. No salt. :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Have you tried quinoa? I haven't seen that mentioned yet.

I tried it once and didn't like the recipe. Do you have any to recommend? I still have some in my pantry waiting for me to use.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    To answer a few outstanding questions:

I have no blood pressure issues. In fact, it's low (100/60). But I do retain water when I have too much sodium.

I would prefer not to resort to protein powder, but I may need to. I'm not strictly opposed to that per se, and maybe that's my best option at this point.

Non-meat options: I'm open to trying things. Not a huge fan of beans, but I could try additional things in that vein. Never tried lentils.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I love lentils! My food diary will prove that. :P

All you have to do is simmer them in unsalted water for 30 minutes or so. Drain, add some soy sauce. Done! I make a few servings at once (one quarter cup will yield a full serving when cooked, they expand about 3x) and then just take them out of the fridge at meal time. I don't even heat them up because I'm lazy that way.

One cup cooked lentils will get you about 18 grams of protein. :)
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Like you, I could not eat chicken three meals a day (or whatever), so some higher sodium meats are going to sneak in there for variety when I am trying to increase protein. What I did when trying to reduce sodium was to just eat what I would normally, track the sodium, and then see where I could tweak things to balance out higher sodium meats.

I can make a roast (beef or chicken) and slice that up for "lunch meat" for a lot less sodium. I found that the bread I was eating was crazy high in sodium, so switching that out most of the time to meaty salads = win. A lot of canned and marinated veggies are salt bombs so they aren't a "free" food in my mind anymore (pickles, pickled peppers, canned mushrooms, etc.). Sauces can be way salty so I use them sparingly or see if I can substitute something else.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I love lentils! My food diary will prove that. :P

All you have to do is simmer them in unsalted water for 30 minutes or so. Drain, add some soy sauce. Done! I make a few servings at once (one quarter cup will yield a full serving when cooked, they expand about 3x) and then just take them out of the fridge at meal time. I don't even heat them up because I'm lazy that way.

One cup cooked lentils will get you about 18 grams of protein. :)

I'll definitely put them on my shopping list, thanks!
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Like you, I could not eat chicken three meals a day (or whatever), so some higher sodium meats are going to sneak in there for variety when I am trying to increase protein. What I did when trying to reduce sodium was to just eat what I would normally, track the sodium, and then see where I could tweak things to balance out higher sodium meats.

I can make a roast (beef or chicken) and slice that up for "lunch meat" for a lot less sodium. I found that the bread I was eating was crazy high in sodium, so switching that out most of the time to meaty salads = win. A lot of canned and marinated veggies are salt bombs so they aren't a "free" food in my mind anymore (pickles, pickled peppers, canned mushrooms, etc.). Sauces can be way salty so I use them sparingly or see if I can substitute something else.

Thanks! I'll check my bread. I don't eat it every day, but it's good to know and I didn't think of that.
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Try rinsing the ham/lunchmeat off before eating it. C: it will help with the sodium a little.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to up my protein. I generally eat low protein which I know I need to improve. My trainer gave me a target to start with (which is still below where I should ultimately be) and I've been doing OK the last 2 weeks hitting that target. But, my sodium is over every day - usually by 200 to 500 grams. I've also seen zero weight loss. That could be due to the sodium, or due to the new workout with my trainer. Still, its frustrating. Do others have issues with sodium as they up their protein? I'm not a big fan of meat. I eat chicken, and ground beef on rare occasion. I do love ham though (high sodium) and have added cheese and nuts (both higher sodium). I've switched a lot of my lunches to a sandwich but that's really high sodium.

Suggestions? Sympathy? LOL...

Lol, well you definitely have my sympathy! I'm also in the same boat. I don't really care for meat that much and would have no problem eliminating it from my diet completely if it were not for the fact I'm always low in protein. The only kind of meat that appeals to me is the over processed kind - smoked turkey, bacon, marinated chicken breast, which are all high in sodium. Wanna know how a solved that issue - turned off the sodium tracker in my diary. Yep, my bad. My last Doctors visit gave my a clean bill of health, blood work great, no blood pressure issues, so at this point I'm not going to track it. I try to get protein from other sources - greek yogurt, tuna, protein shakes, eggs ect. But if I have a smoked turkey sandwich for lunch I'm not gonna have an anxiety attack over it. All things in moderation. I'm certainly not advising you to not track your sodium, that's for you and your Doctor to decide. Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • lanavabkny
    Options
    There are grains that contain protein as well, such as quinoa and black rice. Try eating beans, peas, lentils, chia seeds which can be ground up and put into yogurt. All of these have great sources of protein and can be added into your meal plan.
  • fluffykitsune
    Options
    Try rinsing the ham/lunchmeat off before eating it. C: it will help with the sodium a little.

How would you log that? Rinsed meat?
    -shrug- beats me. I would suspect that it is different for each time you do it. Like one time you might rinse off 20mg.. but the next time might be 200mg. You can't really measure the effectiveness but at least you tried? I just know that most meat is enhanced and was told to soak/rinse the meat for a minute or two to help get rid of the salt.

I mean, as long as you know that you tried it and maybe shaved off a little bit of sodium, I don't think what you log really matters. Kinda like, I drink Fat Free milk but log it as 2% simply for margin of error..
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I bake 4-5 chicken breast at a time, then try to eat 3.5-5 oz for lunch and dinner (or tuna for lunch but you don't like seafood). Having chicken baked ready to go in the fridge really helps I find because its there and you can add it to whatever you are making.

Eggs are great, protein powder, hemp hearts.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    There are grains that contain protein as well, such as quinoa and black rice. Try eating beans, peas, lentils, chia seeds which can be ground up and put into yogurt. All of these have great sources of protein and can be added into your meal plan.

I LOVE putting lentils in EVERYTHING lol
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I know others have suggested it and you dont particularly care for it (theres my disclaimer) but maybe you should try mixing protein powder with your regular food? I put protein powder in my pancake mix, oatmeal and cornbread/cream of wheat and I can barely taste it, plus I get the protein boost

I see that you like eggs, have you tried making a "protein omelet"? I usually add chicken, spinach, turkey, or any available protein packed meat to an omelet and I use thin sliced cheese (i love cheese and wont give it up, I just try to use smaller quantities) and salsa (low sodium salsa)

I am VERY sensitive to sodium and I blow up like a whale if I go over, so I try not to. Some people have no issues with sodium (as we can see from other posters) but not adding additional salt to foods, opting for lower sodium foods and avoiding pre-packaged meats. If the sodium is unavoidable, you prefer to consume it, but you feel like its hindering your weight loss by causing you to retain water, try drinking an additional 8oz of water per 100g of sodium you go over your daily allottment

Also try things you can add beans to: turkey/chicken chili, casseroles, rice meals (I LOVE "turkey surprise" which is turkey, smoked gouda, brown rice, and a bunch of beans)

Hope this helps!
  • fluffykitsune
    Options

How would you log that? Rinsed meat?
    -shrug- beats me. I would suspect that it is different for each time you do it. Like one time you might rinse off 20mg.. but the next time might be 200mg. You can't really measure the effectiveness but at least you tried? I just know that most meat is enhanced and was told to soak/rinse the meat for a minute or two to help get rid of the salt.

I mean, as long as you know that you tried it and maybe shaved off a little bit of sodium, I don't think what you log really matters. Kinda like, I drink Fat Free milk but log it as 2% simply for margin of error..

I don't remember sodium in protein sources, only if they're processed... but on the other hand, i don't track sodium. So maybe i never noticed.
    If you buy your meat at the grocery store, even raw, there is sodium in them. It is used as a preservative, to up the weight of it to make a lil more $$, add flavor..The works. What looks to be 'chicken juice' is actually a salt solution, brine, broth, etc.. On the packages in very small writing it will say they are enhanced with a percentage next to it..
    Kinda funny but I only found all of this out because my dogs are on a raw foot diet, and sodium messes them up. But I assume it applies to humans as well.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I know others have suggested it and you dont particularly care for it (theres my disclaimer) but maybe you should try mixing protein powder with your regular food? I put protein powder in my pancake mix, oatmeal and cornbread/cream of wheat and I can barely taste it, plus I get the protein boost

I see that you like eggs, have you tried making a "protein omelet"? I usually add chicken, spinach, turkey, or any available protein packed meat to an omelet and I use thin sliced cheese (i love cheese and wont give it up, I just try to use smaller quantities) and salsa (low sodium salsa)

I am VERY sensitive to sodium and I blow up like a whale if I go over, so I try not to. Some people have no issues with sodium (as we can see from other posters) but not adding additional salt to foods, opting for lower sodium foods and avoiding pre-packaged meats. If the sodium is unavoidable, you prefer to consume it, but you feel like its hindering your weight loss by causing you to retain water, try drinking an additional 8oz of water per 100g of sodium you go over your daily allottment

Also try things you can add beans to: turkey/chicken chili, casseroles, rice meals (I LOVE "turkey surprise" which is turkey, smoked gouda, brown rice, and a bunch of beans)

Hope this helps!

Thanks! I don't dislike protein powders per se, just not my ideal way to spend my calories LOL. But I should find one that tastes good for those days I just don't eat the right things.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    avi.jpg
    FYI it's well-known that Avi didn't get that big on a vegan diet, nor did any other "vegan" bodybuilder that has decent muscle mass. They all went vegan AFTER gaining their mass.

Even 'vegetarian' bodybuilders and athletes are often downing huge amounts of animal protein in the form of eggs and dairy.

Avi, for example states to pro-vegan sites he was "semi-vegetarian" until "some time after" he moved to the states, at age 24. He started weight-training at 15, Olympic weightlifting at 17, and kept hardcore lifting/training as a lifestyle.

As such he had a minimum of 10 years to develop mass while downing all the animal protein he wanted (or other ... enhancement-type-supplements that most bodybuilders use) - he also admits to eating large amounts of dairy and eggs, fyi. As a devoted lifter and competitor from 15 to 24 he'd have developed considerable mass all while non-vegan.
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread for a good list of protein sources that are low in sodium...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • dbm037
    dbm037 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk light powder Mix, chocolate flavor, skim milk, frozen banana. Make into a yummy smoothie after workout. It is so delicious you'll think you are drinking a yummy milk shake!!!
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Try and pick nuts with out salt. I do that all the time, walnuts, almonds, I get them raw and bake them myself, put them on a cookie sheet one layer, bake at 350 for about 11 to 15 minute. I have learned to watch frozen veggies because alot of them have salt in them. Read labels!!!!!