Are artifical sweeteners safe?

Options

Replies

• runlisaloo
    runlisaloo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I thnk Stevia is the only one that's all natural.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If you've ever seen "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" or "Food Matters" on Netflix, they have really great points from various nutritionists, including those that focus on cancer fighting/ causing foods. A lot of things are stuffed with chemicals so manufacturers get you hooked on certain products such as combining caffeine and aspartame sweeteners which is why a lot of people have addictions to diet soda.

You're never going to get a definitive answer on what to eat and what not to eat because people have such varying opinions, so it's really up to you. My personal opinion (like a lot of people that have already answered haha) is if it has a ton of ingredients that you can't even pronounce or know where they come from, they're probably not good for you. I don't think our bodies were built to consume foods that are loaded with chemicals. Our bodies were meant to be sustained on natural vegetables and lean meats. But-- I enjoy Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper as much as anyone else, so I don't think it will horrible if you treat yourself once in a while. :) You know your body best, so whatever you feel is right for you. :)

Hate to tell you but natural vegetables and lean meats are also chock full of chemicals
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    If used properly they are safe. You know like don't snort them, etc.
  • danielleeu
    danielleeu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else heard that the Dairy Industry is trying to push a bill to be allowed to add aspartame to milk (they said to make it less expensive then when they add natural sweeteners and more likely for kids to enjoy drinking it-what?) and not have to label the milk as being artifically sweetend (since so many would be sweetend this way)?
  • danielleeu
    danielleeu Posts: 127 Member
    Options

I believe you are right. :)
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My trainer/nutritionist said you would have to drink gallons of diet soda everyday for it to actually have any negative effect on the body. That being said, everyone's body is different so do what you feel is right for you.
  • HoneySunlight
    Options
    You should try Stevia! It is safe and has no calories! I love it.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else heard that the Dairy Industry is trying to push a bill to be allowed to add aspartame to milk (they said to make it less expensive then when they add natural sweeteners and more likely for kids to enjoy drinking it-what?) and not have to label the milk as being artifically sweetend (since so many would be sweetend this way)?

As if it is not in enough things (I have to read each an every label and you guys would be amazed on just how many things you may consume that have it! I sure was!!!!...btw if you take a chewable vitamin...chances are you are already consuming artificial sweeteners...) - but please tell me the milk is not true!!!!! SMH!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Out of all artificial sweeteners, Splenda is probably the least likely to cause problems. I wouldn't touch Aspartame (which, unfortunately is found in a lot of "diet" products) with a 10-foot pole.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx

Whatever Mercola tells you - do the exact opposite.
  • wankesuz
    wankesuz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Go to Dr. Mercola.com. He has great info, and, yes, avoid artificial sweetners at all costs. you are better off having sugar. Avoid high fructose corn syrup, genetically modified foods, and overdosing on wheat products. your life will be better, and your body will thank you

susan
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I won't use them. NOPE.
  • SUPERCREWE
    Options
    This thread is really funn as there is no conclusive proof about any of this I especially like the comment from naner61 :

"Everyone has a different opinion but bottom line....Don't eat fake food! Experts always say there is no threat, but really everyone has different body composition and no one can say for sure that it is not harmful to your health. "

That implies that anything natural is good for you ... LOL

In other words we all have opinions but it is up to you to form your own :)

Good luck
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I don't consume them if I can help it. Mainly because they just don't taste right to me. If I want sugar, I want actual sugar, brown sugar or sugar in the raw. All the fake stuff taste yucky to me. I hate it. (Especially stuff like Splenda. YUCK.)
  • wankesuz
    wankesuz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    http://everlast.mercola.com/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=Qy4fkr0cVNEcfeolU2mneA==

Amy,
    try the link above to Mercola's website. Great article on sugars and what they can do to your body, and what to avoid. artificail sweetners covered, too.

Susan
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Yeah, I have heard about this, and like many things, the basic story is true, but the details are being munged. A couple of dairy lobbying groups are trying to get the FDA to allow them to put artificial sweeteners in dairy products, and still call them dairy products. Right now if they were to put aspartame in chocolate milk, they couldn't call it "milk" anymore because the FDA doesn't allow artificial sweeteners in stuff that's labeled "milk". Currently, if they used artificial sweeteners they'd have to call it something like "chocolate flavored dairy product" and who the hell wants to drink that?

The second thing they are lobbying for - and this is where a lot of the confusion is taking place - is that they don't want to put a "reduced sugar" or "lower calorie" label on the FRONT product label - the one you see in the store, facing out. Part of the reasoning here is that the dairy industry doesn't want to draw attention to the fact that dairy is high in sugar, since the current fad is "sugar == bad" and the dairy industry is afraid that if they draw attention to the fact that dairy is high in sugar, some people may start eating less dairy. There is absolutely no question as to whether aspartame would be listed in the INGREDIENT LIST, of course it's going to be there, it absolutely, positively, HAS TO be in the ingredients list if it is used, and absolutely nobody is trying to do anything to change that.

Also, the purpose of this is to use aspartame instead of other higher-calorie sweeteners in sweetened dairy products, primarily chocolate or strawberry milk, yogurts, sour cream, etc. There's currently no added sugar in plain white milk, so they'll probably leave that alone.

You can read the actual, official petition (and even comment on it, if you so desire) at

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/02/20/2013-03835/flavored-milk-petition-to-amend-the-standard-of-identity-for-milk-and-17-additional-dairy-products
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Yeah, I have heard about this, and like many things, the basic story is true, but the details are being munged. A couple of dairy lobbying groups are trying to get the FDA to allow them to put artificial sweeteners in dairy products, and still call them dairy products. Right now if they were to put aspartame in chocolate milk, they couldn't call it "milk" anymore because the FDA doesn't allow artificial sweeteners in stuff that's labeled "milk". Currently, if they used artificial sweeteners they'd have to call it something like "chocolate flavored dairy product" and who the hell wants to drink that?

The second thing they are lobbying for - and this is where a lot of the confusion is taking place - is that they don't want to put a "reduced sugar" or "lower calorie" label on the FRONT product label - the one you see in the store, facing out. Part of the reasoning here is that the dairy industry doesn't want to draw attention to the fact that dairy is high in sugar, since the current fad is "sugar == bad" and the dairy industry is afraid that if they draw attention to the fact that dairy is high in sugar, some people may start eating less dairy. There is absolutely no question as to whether aspartame would be listed in the INGREDIENT LIST, of course it's going to be there, it absolutely, positively, HAS TO be in the ingredients list if it is used, and absolutely nobody is trying to do anything to change that.

Also, the purpose of this is to use aspartame instead of other higher-calorie sweeteners in sweetened dairy products, primarily chocolate or strawberry milk, yogurts, sour cream, etc. There's currently no added sugar in plain white milk, so they'll probably leave that alone.

You can read the actual, official petition (and even comment on it, if you so desire) at

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/02/20/2013-03835/flavored-milk-petition-to-amend-the-standard-of-identity-for-milk-and-17-additional-dairy-products

Thank you
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Due to chemicals in food, I've died three times, and grown 2 extra arms and one leg.

Also, I drive a tonne of metal around, fly at 600mph and talk to people via a plastic thing on my desk that all emit radiation and one I hold to my ear, but they are all safe.
  • kinsette
    kinsette Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    They are relatively safe, however, they make you crave more sweets. I don't remember why this is, but it is true. Your best bet for a sugar substitute is honey or stevia (commonly called truvia.) Both honey and stevia are natural, safe, and lower calorie than sugar, truvia is almost calorie free (if you are using enough to get a calorie from it, then it is about the equivalent of a pound of sugar) and it is actually sweeter by volume than sugar is. I have the stevia plant and I put a leaf in my tea to sweeten it rather than using sugar, it is great stuff. good luck :)
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options

Honey and Agave Nectar are also natural sweeteners, but they do have calories.

I was using ALOT of Splenda everyday in my coffee. But, I kept hearing that it could hinder weight loss, so I gave it up. I'm just learning to like black coffee.
  • naner61
    naner61 Posts: 85
    Options
    This thread is really funn as there is no conclusive proof about any of this I especially like the comment from naner61 :

"Everyone has a different opinion but bottom line....Don't eat fake food! Experts always say there is no threat, but really everyone has different body composition and no one can say for sure that it is not harmful to your health. "

That implies that anything natural is good for you ... LOL

In other words we all have opinions but it is up to you to form your own :)

Good luck

It's awesome how people pick out what they want out of a comment ....apparently you missed the part "everyone's body composition is different and no one can say what is harmful to your health" you are your own best guide and take what everyone else says with a grain of salt. We are all different and what works for one does not work for all!!