Stiff Right Knee..

Options
Hi,
I'm just wondering why after my hardcore workout with a few really good friends the next day my right knee is stiff and sore? Could it be i'm just right hand dominate and i'm pulling the mussels more on that side compaired to my other knee? And how can i solve this problem? Would a knee brace during workouts help? I dont want to damage my knee but i have a lot of weight to lose so i dont want to cut out hard workouts.

Replies

• CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You may be overworking your muscles and tendons. If it's pain, then stop and let it rest. Braces help, but without giving them a rest, it does nothing but prolong the inevitable damage.

Side dominance plays such a small portion of pain if form is correct....what may be happening is compensation. Something is not right and with overworking, it picks up the additional need to compensate, adding more fuel to a smoldering fire.

If you are working out at a gym, have one of the trainers watch your form, intensity, and ask for feedback. If they say, slow down or rest for a few...then do it. If you have access to a pool, use it. The weightlessness and low to no impact on your joints will provide a wonderful full body workout in now time. Not only that, good for the respiratory system...forces you to breath right.

I have that issue with my left knee now....I overworked it last week and I'm paying the price for it. I have to rest it for a week before I can do anything...also in my case, I also have arthritis from years of softball playing so the healing process is longer than just a few days.
  • ppeaches21
    ppeaches21 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sadly i workout at my friends house. but shes a great workout buddy. I was afraid i was over working it.. Could Yoga help on the off days? I was also thinking of starting swimming to workout my body but also give my joint a rest. we do 15 Dr Oz insanity workout then 40 of low impact arobics which include jumping jacks crunches and such.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Swimming is an EXCELLENT exercise if you have any joint issues.

Also, if you're favoring one leg over the other, swimming is a great way to diagnose and work on that because if one side works harder than the other, you'll start to drift to one side and run into a rope!

I had a knee injury that made me favor one side, and it was VERY obvious in the water. Once I became aware of it, it was easier for me to correct it in my dry-land workouts, too.