help

Options
Can someone please explain to me why you're supposed to eat back the calories you burn while working out . I am confused I have only lost 2 pounds in 3 weeks I have a personal trainer my clothes do not feel looser so I must be doing something wrong

Replies

• stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Hi Tasha,

First off, 2 lbs in three weeks isn't "failure" by any means, especially if you just started a training program. I personally don't believe you need to eat back every calorie you burned, however. Especially if you are going by what cardio machines tell you your burn is, as they notoriously overestimate. Try eating back only half of what you burn, or eat back exercise but have an "upper" calorie limit?
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Don't eat back your calories - that concept is of fitness is flawed. If you are training strength and moderately cutting calories while keeping protein high then you will be successful. I don't care what anyone tells you, the heartrate monitor on your treadmil/elliptical/HRM-watch is incredibly inaccurate... you're better off with a deficit of 20% and strength training with your trainer.
    Can someone please explain to me why you're supposed to eat back the calories you burn while working out . I am confused I have only lost 2 pounds in 3 weeks I have a personal trainer my clothes do not feel looser so I must be doing something wrong
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    MFP sets up a deficit for you, and from the sound of your words I am guessing you are trying for a 2 lbs per week loss. You are also in the mind set that this will happen over night...you need to just forget about that all together and come to terms with the reality that losing weight takes time and patience.

You eat back the calories because MFP sets a deficit up automatically. So if you are trying to lose 2 pounds a week then that is already a 1,000 calorie deficit that MFP has set up...but MFP won't let you go below 1200...and there is a reason for that. In reality you are better off setting your sights on 1 pound a week....that is completely doable...and something you have pretty much already been doing.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    The MFP calorie calculator gives you a base line number for your total daily energy expenditure that specifically excludes scheduled exercise. It does include your regular, daily movements when you pick your activity level so you shouldn't be entering things such as cleaning, cooking, or standing at work, unless you pick "sedentary." You should be including your actual workouts though. The idea is to only eat at a specified deficit (e.g. 500 calories a day) and if you don't eat back your exercise calories, then you are increasing that deficit. The idea is for a slow, steady loss.

As for the number of calories you enter for exercise, that is difficult. As the poster above states, cardio machines tend to overestimate as does MFP for some exercises. It would be optimal to use a heart rate monitor, but if you don't, you can cut the calorie estimates a bit. Just be careful when you do and make sure you track it to see if you're losing too fast.

And yes, 2 pounds in 3 weeks is just fine. Slow and steady works better of the long run.