giving up soda/pop

Options
Jerrypeoples
Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
I was very notorious for drinking massive amounts of coke/pepsi when i was in my 20-30's as i worked for pizza hut.

later on in life i switched to diet.

it has now been 3 weeks since i had my last drop but havent noticed too much a difference in weight.

anyone else drink a lot of diet soda (im talking close to a 2 liter a day) and notice any difference in weight?

Replies

• Zombierawr
    Zombierawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose as much as I thought I would (maybe 5 lbs?) but I definitely feel better. I had the same ordeal happen with the whole "drink more water a day!" situation -- I drink close to 120 oz of water a day, but I never noticed a significant change in my weight/looks. I do notice that if I have a sip of soda or don't drink at least 100 oz of water a day, I feel miserable and dehydrated the next day or so. Congratulations on making it three weeks!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Didn't lose an ounce :sad:
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    diet soda is virtually calorie free........
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Yep.

You've probably saved yourself a good 4 calories for the entire week by cutting out diet soda.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Didnt affect my weight loss at all.
  • MRC77
    MRC77 Posts: 51
    Options
    I would go through a 2 liter Coke in a day with no problems, it was to the point that I had not had a glass of water in over 2 years. I been soda free now for about 2 months and I noticed very little weight loss due to it, but I did read somewhere that just 1 can of coke daily can cause you to gain 1 lb every 23 days.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I very rarely drink soda. The non-diet kind is too sweet and the diet kind tastes really fake.

The only time I'll drink it is if I'm really thirsty and craving it or if I'm going to have rum and diet coke.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options

Yep.

You've probably saved yourself a good 4 calories for the entire week by cutting out diet soda.

i did it more for the reasons of all the horrible stuff they put in it but i never noticed an initial weight loss from regular to diet
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I was drinking 1-3 Mt. Dews in a day until a month ago, and am disappointed with the lack of weight loss as well.
    Although when I replaced it with coffee in the morning, it reduced my cravings for other 'bad' foods, so that was good.
    Also, even though diet soda is calorie free, you are right it is bad for you for a number of other reasons, including the carbonation, which can lead to water retention.
    Good for you for choosing better!!
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I used to drink massive amounts of regular coke and quit awhile ago. No difference in weight but it totally helped my teeth and I seem to be getting less headaches now.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Yep.

i did it more for the reasons of all the horrible stuff they put in it but i never noticed an initial weight loss from regular to diet

In for the inevitable aspartame brawl.
  • kbauman09
    kbauman09 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 2-3 diet cokes a day and gave them up over a year ago. The artificial sweetener made me want more sweets---now that I'm totally off the diet coke, I've found that my cravings have virtually disappeared. I substitute Polar flavored water and LaCroix--no artificial anything in them and it lets me have a "can" of something!
  • MamaWeil2018
    MamaWeil2018 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Yep.

From what I understand (and I'm a big diet pop drinker myself), the aspartame or whatever happens to be in the pop tricks your body into thinking that "sweet does not equal weight gain" and ends up almost being worse for you in the long run and/or makes you crave sweet foods/drinks even more. I applaud your being able to stay away from it, I'm really having a hard time!
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    You reminded me of sodapop in the outsiders, lol!
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options

Yep.

I drink 4-5 Cherry Coke Zeros on a daily basis and Ive managed to lose 70 lbs :drinker:
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I didn't switch from regular to diet... I went to no soda at all. I didn't notice much of a weight difference at all wither. But like someone else had said I feel much better. I have been soda free (save for one week when I was sick and tried to drink 7-up to make my stomach feel better) for 1 1/2 years.
  • proton77
    proton77 Posts: 409
    Options
    I quit drinking Dr Pepper and sports drinks, sugar free or not since October 9 2012 - the day I started P90X. I used to drink at least 2-3 cans a day and I haven't had a drop since.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    so youve been off soda for 2 weeks? thats great, but you need a lot longer than 2 weeks to see results...i mean you were drinking soda for years!
  • Dustybugger
    Options
    Didn't see any weight loss difference (Diet Pepsi is calorie free, so I'm not sure if you would), but I did notice I do not have as many headaches! BTW, diet soda contains phosphoric acid, same ingredient as teeth whitener which causes sensitivity in teeth (and pitting) - both of which I have - and I used to drink about 2 cans of diet for years and use whiting toothpaste along with whitening strips --- bad combo!
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    I don't wanna be that person but on a whim I gave up diet soda and as soon and I did weight started falling off and has continued to steadily for a few weeks. But this was after a bit of a stall and a number of other factors could have played into it. I've stopped weighing myself because losing a pound a day is obviously impossible and it's got to be water. I even bought a new scale but same weird results.