Your favorite neutral stability shoe?

I have to go shopping soon for new running shoes, and I was advised by my PT to get a neutral stability shoe. I'm still pretty new to running so I haven't tried out a lot of shoe models. I currently enjoy the Asics GEL-Nimbus 14, which just happened to be neutral when I bought them. I seem to favor to walking on the outside edge of my foot. (don't know the proper term for this). I am a forefoot runner, but trying to convert to rear-striking form due to CECS. What's your favorite neutral running shoe and why? And if you don't have a neutral shoe, but should, why do you like the shoe that you do?

By the way, I already go to a running store to be fitted and test shoes, so that does not need to be stated. Thanks!

Replies

• bump
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    I've been wearing Brooks Adrenaline forever (almost 10 years). Tried some others from time to time, but I always come back to these. I change out the insoles with DownUnders (purple). For me its the magic combination.
  • Power_Man77
    Power_Man77 Posts: 207
    Brooks Beast is the name of the pair I have.
  • kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    mizuno wave creation 13 is my current neutral shoe. Go to a good running store and they will help you. I went figuring i would end up with brooks but the lady said they are for a more narrow foot, not that my foot is wide, it just isn't narrow like a brooks works best for.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    i like brooks pure connect
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    You're an overpronator :) I am as well on top of the fact that I have a flat foot (yes, just one!) and I wear New Balance WW885s and they are suuuuper comfy. They are NOT stability shoes, just so you know, but I have found their "balance board" inside helps with posture and helps make it easier not to overpronate. Plus they are like walking on two little clouds.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Nike Air Pegasus. I started to wear them because you can get them in different widths. But, it is a shoe that has been around FOREVER, and with reason. It is plain, no frills. It has a heel, but . . . and this is key for a stable shoe, in my opinion . . . not real squishy. Also, because they are not real squishy, I think they last a bit longer. They do not get broken down.
  • rojomo1
    rojomo1 Posts: 1
    I've been running in the Mizuno Wave Elixir 7 for almost a year and they are my favorite shoe by far. I used to run in the ASIC DS Trainer. It's a great shoe also.
  • iheartwhitetea
    iheartwhitetea Posts: 29 Member
    You're an overpronator :)

I just want to make a friendly correction! A pronator tends to walk on the inside of the foot, or the ankles rolls slightly to the inside when you walk. Example: an extreme over-pronator would almost look like they were walking on the inside of their ankles!

If you tend to walk on the outside of your foot, that's called supination. Neutral shoes are the best for this, because there isn't really a shoe made for supinators and usually neutral shoes work out fine. I haven't really heard neutral shoes called stability shoes, since anything with more inner stability would probably be made for pronators.

It sounds like the Asics you have been wearing would work nicely! At the store I worked at, I'd say my customers who like neutral shoes went most often for the Asics (gel cushioning is awesome) or the Brooks Ghost was also popular. I pronate, so I wear the Brooks Adrenaline. I've always liked the way Brooks make shoes, they fit much better and are a lot lighter without sacrificing support!
  • Thanks everyone! I got some models in mind to try out now! :D