Ladies - Question about TOM

Options
2»

Replies

• baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Exercise, reduce salt/caffeine, and get your rest! That helps with many of those dreaded symptoms. And remember, it takes your body time to adjust to those sudden changes, so be patient and don't give up.

I quit caffeine three weeks ago and haven't looked back! I was so badly addicted that I couldn't go 24 hours without it or I'd be throwing up with a migraine all day. I feel much better now. Hopefully that will help me when the TOM comes back!
  • Stephy2469
    Stephy2469 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I find working out during my TOM helps not only with the pain but keeps me busy from eating the junk I would crave!
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't have a period (haven't in many many years) and don't get cravings. I do have wicked mood swings, but I also have a sleeping disorder that makes me irritable, so who knows if it's my body pretending to have a cycle or whether I'm just a tired grumpy baby. I'm on a non-hormonal IUD.
  • kariannmbc
    kariannmbc Posts: 144
    Options
    I want red meat right around the time mine starts, like a steak or burger or something, and salty stuff. But after that I can go back to my chicken and fish. No other major cravings.
  • baileybiddles
    Options
    I don't have a period (haven't in many many years) and don't get cravings. I do have wicked mood swings, but I also have a sleeping disorder that makes me irritable, so who knows if it's my body pretending to have a cycle or whether I'm just a tired grumpy baby. I'm on a non-hormonal IUD.

I tried the Paragard and my body rejected it! It was crazy painful and I had to have it out. I was really upset about it. I have insomnia and have to take medication for it as well, so I can understand the confusion about where the mood swings come from!
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I switched to Loestrin several months ago (lower estrogen) and I feel less cramps, but I still get bad chocolate cravings. Generally, as long as I have a couple of dark chocolate squares, my cravings go away. I crave that and milk!

Since the cramps aren't there as much, it doesn't bother me to continue exercising.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    i had a month break from the depo. now my TOM is so messed up. ive been on it for like 3 weeks now!! going to speak to my doctor on tuesday but apparently thats one of the side effects so yeah dont have a break and then go back on it

I actually did that back in December. I've been on depo for years now, almost 4 I believe, and it actually lessens your bone density and greatly increases your risk for osteoperosis and bone breaks even earlier in life... So I decided to try and get off of it. Got an IUD put in, and my body rejected it and I was in the emergency room with an almost perforated uterus. Needless to say, I got back on the depo quickly and my body was less than impressed with my stupidity. Now I am actually off of it for good. Starting pills tonight.

ah didmt know. im vegan tho so it shouldnt really affect me

Hello fellow vegan!

What the what!? Being vegan doesn't make us immune to osteoporosis!!!
  • baileybiddles
    Options
    i had a month break from the depo. now my TOM is so messed up. ive been on it for like 3 weeks now!! going to speak to my doctor on tuesday but apparently thats one of the side effects so yeah dont have a break and then go back on it

I actually did that back in December. I've been on depo for years now, almost 4 I believe, and it actually lessens your bone density and greatly increases your risk for osteoperosis and bone breaks even earlier in life... So I decided to try and get off of it. Got an IUD put in, and my body rejected it and I was in the emergency room with an almost perforated uterus. Needless to say, I got back on the depo quickly and my body was less than impressed with my stupidity. Now I am actually off of it for good. Starting pills tonight.

Hello fellow vegan!

Seconded! As a matter of fact it could effect you MORE if you don't get good amounts of calcium from foods like milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. Dairy carries super high volumes of calcium. Do you both take supplements to help out in areas where it's difficult to get vitamins from foods you can't eat?
  • baileybiddles
    Options
    I switched to Loestrin several months ago (lower estrogen) and I feel less cramps, but I still get bad chocolate cravings. Generally, as long as I have a couple of dark chocolate squares, my cravings go away. I crave that and milk!

Since the cramps aren't there as much, it doesn't bother me to continue exercising.

Oooooh this is what I'm going on! Lo-loestrin! My doctor said it should help with my constant nausea with birth control.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options

Hello fellow vegan!

Seconded! As a matter of fact it could effect you MORE if you don't get good amounts of calcium from foods like milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. Dairy carries super high volumes of calcium. Do you both take supplements to help out in areas where it's difficult to get vitamins from foods you can't eat?

There are TONS of calcium rich plant foods! Leafy greens. especially. And all plant foods have a little calcium that adds up really fast if you eat enough whole foods.

The calcium in dairy is not as bio-available as the calcium in plant foods, and there is some evidence that the acidifying effects of dairy consumption counteract the calcium in it and that there is a strong correlation between dairy consumption and osteoporosis, but I don't find that evidence particularly convincing.

I track my calcium and take a supplement when I find that I didn't get enough from food, but this is something everyone should do, not just vegans.

It's just as easy for a vegan to have a poor diet and be calcium deficient as it is for anyone else. If the depo shot increases the risk of osteoporosis, it's going to increase your risk whether you're vegan or not.
  • baileybiddles
    Options

Hello fellow vegan!

There are TONS of calcium rich plant foods! Leafy greens. especially. And all plant foods have a little calcium that adds up really fast if you eat enough whole foods.

The calcium in dairy is not as bio-available as the calcium in plant foods, and there is some evidence that the acidifying effects of dairy consumption counteract the calcium in it and that there is a strong correlation between dairy consumption and osteoporosis, but I don't find that evidence particularly convincing.

I track my calcium and take a supplement when I find that I didn't get enough from food, but this is something everyone should do, not just vegans.

It's just as easy for a vegan to have a poor diet and be calcium deficient as it is for anyone else. If the depo shot increases the risk of osteoporosis, it's going to increase your risk whether you're vegan or not.

Wow! I never actually knew that. I was always under the impression that it was hard to find calcium in non-dairy foods. Thanks for the information! Definitely good to know. I should be taking a calcium supplement but I honestly don't. I bought a bottle and often forget to even take the pill.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Normally I can not work out during the first 2-3 days. It's just too painful and there is too much going on downtown. I eat pieces of chocolate more often during that week, but I don't know if that is actual craving or just habit. If anything I eat much less because the food sets the cramps into motion and nothing usually sounds appealing while in pain. I have noticed my cramps are less severe after maintaining a vegetarian diet and exercising more regularly. I am not telling you to go vegetarian, but maybe cutting down on the meats and dairies during that time. Less hormones. That's my experience anyway. Hope that was some help!

Yes, thank you! I appreciate the advice. I actually have IBS and my doctor recommended that I stop all gluten and dairy intake... But I honestly am having the hardest time. I love cereal and milk for breakfast and I have a greek yogurt every single day with lunch... It keeps me so full so I'm not starving at 3:00! I have to ween myself off eventually, I believe... I do love meat though, I am more into chicken than red meat, mostly because it's cheaper.

Just wanted to share that I've been gluten free for about a month now, and I've found the transition actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and has made a huge difference in my stomach problems and chronic headaches. It's totally worth the effort. I love cereal and milk too - I was pleased to find that all chex cereals (except the multigrain, I believe) are gluten free, and there are a few different flavors to choose from. I've had luck with vanilla almond milk (or soy milk, but I like almond better) with cereal, if you can't have regular milk. It's not quite the same, but it's tasty. I make a lot of rice-based dishes, like stir-fry (tofu stir-fry for dinner tonight - awesome and healthy), and I've been enjoying trying out a lot of new recipes. For a yogurt replacement at snack time, I'm developing a real love for lara bars, which are totally dairy free and gluten free, and come in amazing, amazing flavors (today was chocolate chip cookie dough. Mmmmmm....). I thought I'd have a horrible time trying to adjust and be craving bread and stuff all the time, but with the help of a few good gluten free cookbooks, I actually rarely miss it or feel deprived.

I've also found that this time around this month (my first period since going gf), I'm actually not having many issues at all with food cravings, crazy *****dom, or my usual headaches/nausea/whatever. Don't know why, but it seems to be helping.

I don't usually get anything bad enough to stop me exercising in terms of cramps, although I do get backaches. However, I've found that working out and getting the blood flowing can actually help with the backaches and minor cramps that I get. I've been on the pill for probably 10 years now, with a break here and there. So weird to think about how long it's been...

Good luck!
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this topic in lieu of not creating a new TOM thread....

I find that during the TOM I tend to have insane salt cravings(occasionally wavy chips with sour cream, don't ask!) And the first day usually involves cramps so bad I can(and have before) hurl! Also insane ('scuse me) diarrhea the first day... Heating pads don't work, and neither does any stretching... But also, I was barely exercising...

So I am wondering if anyone believes it may be likely for the severity of the cramps(which are due in about a week) to be a lot easier/better? I don't know if anyone has a way to "prevent" them from coming, but I have heard a few things(Tylenol/ibuprofen for the couple days before, until it hits) and I don't want to try anything without seeing an opinion... Should I just try to budge through and exercise anyways?

And my second question, is that I have heavy bleeding constantly for the duration of my period(once had it for a month and a half... It was horrid, but did seek medical advice) which now lasts anywhere between 4-7 days, and will go through 1 36ct tampon box and a small packet of overnight pads(use them to prevent the 'leak'... Does anyone else double up (tampon w/ pad) and is it just as running with the pad on, or is it a huge hassle, and should I just try to leave the pad alone for my workout???

Don't know if these are really stupid questions, but I've always wanted answers and figured now would be best to see...

edit: have been "dieting/exercising" for about a month and some change, and just want some general insight from those that may have been through the same stuff!
  • PrettyLilPixie
    Options
    Chocolate!! I used to think it was all in my head but when I switched from the milk chocolate to the super dark stuff, I noticed it didn't take as much for me to start feeling better. I swear there is something in it. My husband learned years ago to always keep some in the freezer just in case. It literally helps my cramping and mood swings.