New here, from VA ...overweight & feel bad all the time.

Options
I'm from Southwest VA! I will be 48 on April 30th and I find it very, very hard to lose weight, not to mention the fact that I have almost no motivation and feel bad most of the time. I'm having such a hard time getting started. Just the thought of exercising regularly and eating clean depresses and overwhelms me. I could definitely use all the support and advice I can get.

Replies

• babsybabe28
    Options
    Hi there. I have only been on here 1 day and the support is great. Good luck with your lifestyle change x
  • Hodgie12345
    Hodgie12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You certainly dont look nearly 48 ! Much younger. I hope you get into MFP. I am loving it. Hodgie x
  • jstwin1996
    Options
    Hey I just joined literally a couple of minutes ago, and I feel the same way. But, I believe hard work will get us there.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! I'm 47. I'm sorry the thought of eating better and exercising is depressing! If you're determined to do it anyways, we are here for you! You're right, your health depends on it.

Feel free to add me as a friend
  • Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    For me, being overweight causes depression and lack of motivation. The more I exercise and the more weight I lose the better I feel. I have more energy and a better outlook. Being on MFP is very motivational.
  • tammycallia
    tammycallia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Change is not easy! I have had many bumps along the way and have felt the same way. In my experience it is really hard to get started and the first week or two I actually did feel worse but it does get better! Your body will feel better and your mood gets better. The key is to find things you like and cut back on portions then add in healthier foods gradually so your not overwhelmed. It's the same with exercise just start out walking a little bit and slowly do more and more. If everything changes all at once it's hard to stick with. think of it as a lifestyle change and not a diet because it has to last your whole life!
    I hope this helps and good luck
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Know that you are worth it and make the choices that will get you to where you want to be. I'm 54--wish I'd started when I was your age!
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It may help to just start tracking your calories, you don't have to make to many changes. Ease into exercise, a walk a few times a week. Small steps can equal a big reward and start you on the road to health and wellness. I'll send a friend request.
  • wykyd
    wykyd Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 so I can relate but I will tell you, this happens one step at a time. Don't think about the big picture just yet. Think about two or three small things...

1. Get 20 minutes of exercise today. Don't think about tomorrow or doing more than that or anything else. Just get 20 min in today. And it doesn't matter what kind. The point is to move for 20 minutes. Can you do that? Yes! You can!

2. Add a vegetable to a meal and cut something unhealthy in half. No big changes... Just ONE veggie and a half portion. Can you do that? Yes! You can!

3. Take 5 minutes and do nothing. Breathe. Let negative thoughts leave you and if they show up, gently push them back. No punishing yourself for having them, just gently push them away.

4. Drink a glass of water (1 more than usual - whatever your "usual" is)

5. Track everything. And no punishing yourself or feeling guilty for anything. Just track.

This is how I started. VERY small steps. Then I noticed that after I'd walked, I was less hungry and had more energy. After doing that for a week, I realized my mood was a little better. Each week it just kept getting better. Now I can't wait to get to the gym! I'm completely off anti-depressants. I eat better than almost anyone else I know. I have TONS more energy. And I've only lost about 25 lbs. I can't wait to see how good it feels when I'm at goal!
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    KimberlyAndrews1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your great comments! Right now I'm just shooting for walking the dog 3 x a week and trying to ease movement back in slowly. I had tried a Couch to 5K program back in September and was about 1/2 way there when I got a stress fracture to my left ankle. I guess the stress of the extra weight on my joints when running was too much. So I've been completely out of any movement since mid-October. It's a shame because I was doing so well in that program. So I can't try it again unless I get a little weight off first and get used to walking 3 miles, then maybe I'll try the running again, but that's a ways off yet. I went to the store today and bought some things like Chicken Salad and Toss Salad for lunch and Special K Cracker chips & rice cakes to snack on. Then I'll eat a regular dinner with smaller portions. I already drink nothing but water so I'm good there. I only have two cups of coffee in the mornings, otherwise it's all water...whoops I lied, I drink V8 Juice everyday too. Right now my problem is eating too much and eating junk like pork rinds and potato chips. So basically, I'm going to ease up on the bad food, incorporate some healthier foods and walk 3x a week to start. Figuring out good stuff to eat that I can afford is going to be a big challenge as well as figuring out what's good. Again, thank you for the great comments and suggestions!
  • slp002
    slp002 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can do it!