Sodium

Options
Melanie1967
Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
I have done really good with my numbers staying in line. I was only tracking calories, carbs and protein. I added sodium and fiber over the weekend. Now I am finding it really hard to pack my dinner and snacks for work. I am a truckdriver, and alot of my shifts are 10-12 hours, with no microwave available. Yesterday I still had 430 calories left for the day, was still hungry, but couldn't find anything to fill the calories, and hunger, that wouldn't take my sodium over. I need some filling ideals for my long days, as today is a 12 hour one. I only get 1230 calories per day, when you don't use 430 of them, you are hungry! Any ideals?

Replies

• aprilp80
    aprilp80 Posts: 1
    Options
    i always carry 100 calorie packs of almonds and muscle milk. its a non dairy item and doesn't have to be in the fridge until its opened. both are yummy and keep you from being hungry.
  • AmyLynn4321
    AmyLynn4321 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    ME again! LOL saying it again - VEGGIES and FRUIT! snack size baggies of sliced strawberries, bananas, kiwi, melon, watermelon, apples and cheese wedges are good (most grocery stores have snack packs of apples and kraft has 100 cal packs of cheese. And if you need dip like i do for veggies - t marzetti has a southwestern low fat veggie dip! myself alone has gone through about 2 containers in 2 months !!! :)
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi Melanie,

Since your diary isn't visible to others, this is only an educated guess. If your sodium level is set to 2400 mg and you used it up in 900 calories, I am betting you had some high sodium choices in the food you already ate for that day.

Unfortunately the same processed foods that are convenient when we are running around and away from the kitchen often have high sodium levels. You have to become a label reader, if you aren't already.

You will discover little things, such as: All sandwich thins are not created equal--some have more sodium than others. Fiber One bars have twice as much sodium as Fiber Plus (with the exception of the peanut Fiber Plus ones, which are higher). Another unfortunate truth is that some high protein, low fat foods are high in sodium. Read the label for low fat or no fat cottage cheese and the sodium will make you cry. Do you like V8 juice? Better find the low sodium version, because the regular is loaded. Another hint about V8, if you insist you don't like the flavor of the low sodium version, drink it at room temp, rather than from fridge--seems to give it more flavor--does to me, anyway--and saves refrigerator space too!!! LOL

Good luck. Now that you know there is a problem, you can find ways to work around it. Unprocessed foods, and veggies and fruit will help you keep your sodium under control, and being more choosy about the processed things you do use.