Heart rate monitor suggestions?

Options
Anyone have any suggestions on a brand of heart rate monitor that also measures calories burned?

Replies

• bryionak
    bryionak Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am looking at the body media. It syncs with MFP, smart phone, etc, seems to be getting good reviews.

there are some threads about the Fitbit, basically give similar information but smaller and more comfortable. Also seen several people recommend the polar F7 or F4 heart rate monitors.

I bought a NewBalance one at target when I started and am really beginning to hate it. $50 down the drain.

The main draw back I see to the Body Media is a monthly subscription charge the fact people will see it on your arm.
  • Daresie
    Daresie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I looked and looked for a hrm this spring. After doing a lot of reading and questioning, I purchased a Polar FT4. It has a chest strap and my only complaint is that it sometimes cannot read my heart rate. Usually after putting it on, I just wet my fingers and run them under the band which seems to do the trick.

The watch shows your heart rate, calories burned, duration of exercise, and will store 10 (I think) exercise events. It doesn't connect to the computer or sync with other programs, etc., although other Polar products will. If I remember correctly, it was around $80. Good luck
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i love my polar 4. never work out without it.
  • TLocke1
    TLocke1 Posts: 5
    Options
    I LOVE my Polar FT4. I'm getting a BodyBugg soon. They are actually used for different things. The Bodybugg is really more for knowing your DAILY work (BMR outside of your exercise). Whereas something like the Polar watch is for knowing your calorie burn during a workout. Get something that uses a body strap over just a watch that uses the heart rate from your wrist because it is not as accurate =) Let me know if you have any other questions about them!
  • JPG1313
    JPG1313 Posts: 59
    Options
    Polar FT4 loving it.
    Had a problem with it reading 00 during my runs, spoke to polar customer service on their chat and had a new transmitter at my house in 3 days. No more problems at all.
    Got mine on amazon for around $60 with free shipping.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have used my Polar FT7 for every workout I have done for the past 18 months and love it. I have never used another one so I can't compare it but I would definitely recommend it.
  • mrsdmerlino
    Options
    I have a Polar RS100 that I bought new on Amazon for under $70 yet I saw it at my local sporting goods store for $120.

You enter your personal info and it tracks calories burned, and it lets you set your heart rate limit range so it will beep if you drop too low, or are too high with your heart rate. You can turn that feature off if it is not necessary for you but I was getting carried away and overexerting myself causing migraines, so it has been a fantastic monitor to keep me on track.

It keeps files so each workout is stored separately to keep track of workouts. I believe it is also immersible so you can wear it while swimming. It has a comfortable adjustable chest strap that is compatible with pretty much all cardio machines at the gym so the machine reads your chest strap and gives you your heart rate on the console.

I love my monitor. I like to run, so I also use my Nike Run app to GPS my distance even when I wear my HR monitor. With both of these, I am extremely happy with how detailed my progress tracking has been.

Good luck!
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    BodyMedia armband does not have a HRM. It does monitor many things though to give a very accurate calorie burn without it. I love mine and most of the time my shirt hides the armband. For those times that it doesn't, I don't even care since long past what other people think looking at my belly the past 20+ years. The price is only around $6 a month. I used to spend more than that on a double quarter pounder meal large sized.

FitBit no HRM and limited utility unless moving.

Polar has pretty much best along with Smart Coaching thing. Many different features to choose from, but good ones can get quite expensive.

MIO Active is a watch with many of the features of BodyMedia but it does have a HRM. Not sure if they require a subscription.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I looked and looked for a hrm this spring. After doing a lot of reading and questioning, I purchased a Polar FT4. It has a chest strap and my only complaint is that it sometimes cannot read my heart rate. Usually after putting it on, I just wet my fingers and run them under the band which seems to do the trick.

Err you are supposed to wet the band prior to putting it on.

I concur with the FT4. If you poke around online you can get it quite cheap
  • JENNY7634
    JENNY7634 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for all the input....found a polar FT4 online for $65!
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Polar FT40. It gives you the fitness test feature and you can upload your training to polarpersonaltrainer.com.