Am I starting out too hard?

kspeach
kspeach Posts: 179 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I haven't exercised regularly in probably 7 years (and before that? never, really, just HS PE, and I was skinny already), and that was very short term due to an injury, and then I fell off the track. TOTAL couch potato with 100 pounds to lose, realistically, although 120 would be great! :)

I've been walking every day for 30 minutes for about 3.4 MPH for a week now (yaaaay 7 days!). I have heard that to form a new habit you need to do it 10 days in a row. So that was what I was aiming for before taking a day off.

HOWEVER, this morning almost killed me. I think I have totally exhausted my legs, and my right calf has a cramp that is making it tough. I also have walked hard (for me) for 30 minutes every 12 hours since Sunday night (9 PM Sun, 9 AM Mon (shorter, with dog), 9 PM Mon, 9 AM Tues). This morning, I wanted to die. Usually my music gets me pumping and forgetting about the 'work' I'm doing...but not a chance this AM.

Is (starting out) walking like doing weights, where you need to take a day off from that muscle to let it 'repair'?

I just want to cry. I even shortened my walk by 5 minutes this AM, because I didn't think I was going to make it, with my right calf. :(
Thanks in advance!
Chris

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    You can do cardio everyday...maybe you're walking too fast at first. Try walking at just a normal pace and as that gets too easy, speed up. I know I regularly walk about 3.7mph which is almost power walking for me and I've exercised on and off since I was 16 and regularly for the past 4 months. So slow down and take it easy at first, work your way up. Just like with running, you won't start out jogging if you've never run before. If you're starting out now for the first time in 7 years, take it slow.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    I just joined LA fitness and they have a water aerobics class there......gets your blood pumping without the strain on your body.....I just loved it. I too rarely work out and am inching closer to 50. .....lol. They also have salsa dancing and yoga (excellent for your whole being).
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    My only thought is, are you stretching for at least 5 minutes before and after your walks? Stretching is really important. Before your workout is helps your muscles get warmed up and ready for exercise. When you stretch afterward it helps with the soreness you may get from the build up of lactic acid.
  • ericaquin
    ericaquin Posts: 68 Member
    Have you tried any of the "Walk Away the Pounds" dvds by Leslie Sansone? It is a good way to switch up your walking routine and use other muscles because your are essentially walking in place with these dvds. I assure you, these dvds are GREAT!!! I get mine from netflix and or my local library that way you can try them out before you invest in them. Keep up the great work!!!
  • kspeach
    I've been doing some stretching.

With warm up/cool down, is that 5 minutes each in addition to the 30 of walking? I do probably need to do that better as well. I am NOT walking until Wednesday evening, so I get at least a full 24 hours off.

I can't afford to join a gym right now...after I prove to myself that I can do this, I'll either be investing in more here at home, or finding a low cost gym that is convenient.

I'm not into 'group' exercise.

I did try Yoga once, and the instructor wasn't good at all, and I actually HURT myself!!
  • vinjama
    vinjama Posts: 52
    I haven't exercised regularly in probably 7 years (and before that? never, really, just HS PE, and I was skinny already), and that was very short term due to an injury, and then I fell off the track. TOTAL couch potato with 100 pounds to lose, realistically, although 120 would be great! :)

I've been walking every day for 30 minutes for about 3.4 MPH for a week now (yaaaay 7 days!). I have heard that to form a new habit you need to do it 10 days in a row. So that was what I was aiming for before taking a day off.

HOWEVER, this morning almost killed me. I think I have totally exhausted my legs, and my right calf has a cramp that is making it tough. I also have walked hard (for me) for 30 minutes every 12 hours since Sunday night (9 PM Sun, 9 AM Mon (shorter, with dog), 9 PM Mon, 9 AM Tues). This morning, I wanted to die. Usually my music gets me pumping and forgetting about the 'work' I'm doing...but not a chance this AM.

Is (starting out) walking like doing weights, where you need to take a day off from that muscle to let it 'repair'?

I just want to cry. I even shortened my walk by 5 minutes this AM, because I didn't think I was going to make it, with my right calf. :(
    Thanks in advance!
    Chris

If your body hurts, it's trying to tell you something. Yes, slow down , take a break. Let your legs get some rest. If you injure yourself, you'll be even worse off than before.

Walking is great. I even read somewhere that walking at a faster than normal pace is more beneficial than jogging.

It's good to start out again how you have. You're strentghing your ankles, calfs, joints , everything that makes up your lower half strong again. Pretty soon you'll have it in you to start running if you make that your goal.

What worked for me when I started getting back in shape was I would walk for about 5 minutes at a brisk pace, then stretch for about 5 minutes, then start out walking again only faster. And you should be strexthing at regular intervals no matter what kind of exercise you are doing. Stretching keeps your muscles flexible and you workout that lactic acid.

Only other suggestion I have is buy the best Walking/Running/Cross training shoes money can buy, or at least dont cheap out on good shoes. Arch support is so crucial to impact type of exercise. And you dont want to risk shin splints either. I have them, they are awful.

I think one of the best non-impact exercise is the Elliptical machine. Look into one if you can. But you'll be missing out on that kind of impact type of exercise that the bones and joints need to stay strong.

hope that helps
  • kspeach
    If your body hurts, it's trying to tell you something. Yes, slow down , take a break. Let your legs get some rest. If you injure yourself, you'll be even worse off than before.

Walking is great. I even read somewhere that walking at a faster than normal pace is more beneficial than jogging.

It's good to start out again how you have. You're strentghing your ankles, calfs, joints , everything that makes up your lower half strong again. Pretty soon you'll have it in you to start running if you make that your goal.

What worked for me when I started getting back in shape was I would walk for about 5 minutes at a brisk pace, then stretch for about 5 minutes, then start out walking again only faster. And you should be strexthing at regular intervals no matter what kind of exercise you are doing. Stretching keeps your muscles flexible and you workout that lactic acid.

Only other suggestion I have is buy the best Walking/Running/Cross training shoes money can buy, or at least dont cheap out on good shoes. Arch support is so crucial to impact type of exercise. And you dont want to risk shin splints either. I have them, they are awful.

I think one of the best non-impact exercise is the Elliptical machine. Look into one if you can. But you'll be missing out on that kind of impact type of exercise that the bones and joints need to stay strong.

hope that helps

Yes it does. Thanks so much! I love the Elliptical, but don't have one yet, and am not a gym member. Maybe someday soon!
This discussion has been closed.