Exercise calories

fonrouge82
fonrouge82 Posts: 50 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Can I just double check....should I be eating my additional exercise calories or not? Thanks!

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    to be very brief...YES

there are sticky postings explaining this (in great detail) at the top of the general thread...but the short answer is YES.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    That question often gets debated. But the short answer is yes, but make sure you enter only extra calories burned through exercise, as you would have burned some of the calories if you didn't exercise. MFP sets you up with a caloric deficit to loose your desired number of pounds per week, if you burn more with exercise you will have to eat them or your caloric deficit will be larger than you set in your goal.

As an example in a half hour say you burn 300 calories doing cardio, but you would have burned 1.5 cals/minute if you sat at your desk. So what should be entered into MFP would be 255 (300-45) the 45 is 30 minutes x 1.5 calories/minute burned at rest.

On top of this many machines overestimate caloric burn, so if you want to eat them either use a Heart Rate Monitor and back out the calories you would have burned at rest. Or eat you could eat about half of what the machine says to make sure you are not over eating
  • fonrouge82
    fonrouge82 Posts: 50 Member
    Thanks Eric! :happy:
This discussion has been closed.