Am I doing this the right way...?

Options
Just posted this on another thread but am posting this again as a new topic in the hope of for more replies...

Since January 3rd I have started tracking my calorie intake and working out. On average I would do 30-40 minutes of Jillian Michaels workout 5 times a week. My calorie intake is set at 1490 daily, I am sure that I was consuming at least 1700 - 1800 most days before tracking. I am not measuring my food but making a fair and realistic assumption. If I am not sure of the food weight, I will assume the highest option in terms of calories and weight.

After three months, my weight has barely changed, perhaps 1 kilo at the most. I have lost approx. 1 - 1.5 inches from both waist and hips. My target was to lose 5 kilos in 3 months and reach a target weight of 60 kilos by April. This is not the case and the scale seems to barely move, yet I feel lighter and more toned....starting to see small difference but nothing major yet.

I have been reading this forum to learn about weight loss, fitness and nutrition.
Everyone recommends to ditch the scales...but if I am tracking my calories, moving more, shouldn't I see more of a difference?

Is this normal....should it take so long to see more visible changes?
I am at a loss altough I will not give up!

Your thoughts and ideas are most welcome :)

Replies

• islandwnder
    Options
    It takes a different amount of time for everyone to see the results they're looking for, and for me I know it takes a while for the scale to start going down. I know that this is the case for me because I am losing fat and gaining muscle, which people say weighs more. So don't get discouraged when the number isn't going down as quickly as you'd like, give it time! As long as you're seeing some kind of result (getting smaller, more energy, more muscle tone, etc...) you're probably doing the right thing. Keep up the good work and soon you will start to see the number go down!
  • Smallbluepebble
    Smallbluepebble Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You say that you're tracking your calories but are not measuring your food... How can you be sure that what you're logging is accurate? I was completely surprised by portion sizes and calorie counts when I started weighing and tracking my meals. I realise it may be a complete pain at first but I would suggest weighing and measuring everything you're eating and logging more accurately.

You may be underestimating your intake and not realise it.

Good luck :smile:
  • Saliang
    Saliang Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You say that you're tracking your calories but are not measuring your food... How can you be sure that what you're logging is accurate? I was completely surprised by portion sizes and calorie counts when I started weighing and tracking my meals. I realise it may be a complete pain at first but I would suggest weighing and measuring everything you're eating and logging more accurately.

You may be underestimating your intake and not realise it.

Good luck :smile:

I track everything diligently including the cups of teas :)
    I have not weighed anything but try to look for descriptions that make it easier for me to guess - example a cup of steamed vegetables versus an actual weight. However I believe that the calories from the exercises on MFP are inflated...I may invest in a HRM to be more accurate with this. Will keep trying...did not realize it is so hard to lose 5 kilos!

• kristina0579
    Options
    In my twenties, I used to easily lose 5 bs in a few weeks as long as I stuck to my 1200 calories per day. I would eat turkey hotdogs, jello fat free pudding, baked cheetos, etc.

At 34, I have found that what I eat plays a much larger role in my ability to lose weight. Now I have found that In order to lose weight, I have to cut down on processed foods, alcohol, and focus on whole foods with a strong emphasis on lean protein and veggies.
  • Saliang
    Saliang Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    In my twenties, I used to easily lose 5 bs in a few weeks as long as I stuck to my 1200 calories per day. I would eat turkey hotdogs, jello fat free pudding, baked cheetos, etc.

At 34, I have found that what I eat plays a much larger role in my ability to lose weight. Now I have found that In order to lose weight, I have to cut down on processed foods, alcohol, and focus on whole foods with a strong emphasis on lean protein and veggies.

Same here - I am now almost 38 and am noting the same.I have reduced my tea intake to 2-3 cups a day, eliminiated the sugar, drinking less red wine, max one glass a week and eating less bread (which I love) and sticking to a small treat a day such as one or two oreo cookies versus bigger desserts . It takes time....but after seeing so many success stories here...I also want to share my own small success....if anything to be fitter and healthier! Many thanks