?? about HR lower intensity or higher to loose weight

Options
is it better to train at a lower intensity and burn fat calories and less overall calories or train at a higher level and burn more calories and be at the fitness level??? I just got the polar f7. I'm training for a 5k so on those days I will be burning at a higher intensity (3x week). On the other days am I better to keep my heart rate down and go for a longer time( ie long walk/)??? Im looking to loose weight but maybe all along I've been training at too high a level??? Does this make sense??? Some days I feel so overwhelmed between watching what I'm eating, drinking enough water, fitting in exercise and now trying to figure out the best heart rate to get SKINNIER!!!!! Thanks again for any insight :(

Replies

• Bigal5565
    Bigal5565 Posts: 12
    Options
    it really depends on what your body can handle. HIIT is probobly the best for burning fat. (high intensity interval training) try going all out, as hard as you can go for one min then then slow for 2 mins. then repeat. do this 10 times. mix it up. i try to do HIIT 2-3 days a week and just a slow jog or stair master the other 3 days. i hope this is what you were looking for, here is a link about HIIT

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/justin6.htm
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your HR. You'll LOSE weight regardless of what zone you're in. I swear the HRM companies dreamed up the whole zone thing just to have a reason to sell more HRM's.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you are training for a 5K then running in the fitness zone is where you want to be. You will lose weight as long as you don't eat more than you are burning.
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    Your body will burn fat as fuel once your glycogen stores are depleted. So really it doesn't matter what zone your in. This has to be one of the biggest myths there are. But the above guy was right if your training to for a 5k you only want to be in a moderate zone.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your HR. You'll LOSE weight regardless of what zone you're in. I swear the HRM companies dreamed up the whole zone thing just to have a reason to sell more HRM's.

Treadmill companies too..

HIIT is good to incorporate a couple of times a week
  • BarbBBQ
    BarbBBQ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!