Running on consecutive days (beginner)

Options
I'm in moderate shape, I've been mostly riding my exercise bike during the winter because it's so cold outside where I live (Finland), but now I've started walking and running. I started the Zombies, run! 5K training app last Sunday, and did the first training session today (Wednesday). It was 35 min, and felt pretty good. The intervals were short and I even had some juice left during the 10 min free form run in the end.

They mentioned at the end of the session that I should take a day off and come back a day later, but I'm wondering if it really needs to be that particular? I was thinking about going for another run tomorrow (Thursday), because it's a little bit too cold for my taste this Friday.

Basically my question is this; can it really be that harmful to run on consecutive days, if the workout isn't too intensive and if you don't make a habit of it, even though I'm a beginner?

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You should really only increase your distance/time by 20% a week ...or something like that.
    You are setting yourself up for injury by pushing too early.

~random internet opinion~
  • Saxonvoter
    Saxonvoter Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've heard that. But what if I only run the same distance I did yesterday?
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/when-it-okay-run-every-day

As I've frequently injured myself from doing too much too fast, I stick by my prior statement. YMMV.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've been running for quite awhile...I still only run every other day to allow for recovery. Running is hard on the body and you need recovery time. Instead of the run, just go for a nice long walk. Running consecutive days at this point is counterproductive and over training.
  • Saxonvoter
    Saxonvoter Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'll have to consider this and see what I feel like tomorrow after a good night's sleep. I'll probably just go for a walk tomorrow. And I guess there's still the option of just riding my the exercise bike for cardio this Friday if the weather is too cold to go running...

Thanks anyway!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Even if your cardiovascular system is already fit you need time to strengthen the muscles, tendons, and ligaments in the lower leg and foot. When you first start running it is easy to overwork and injure them if you add too much to quickly.

Give it about 12 weeks before you start adding significantly more to your running workout load.