Running and weight lifting

I have been running for years and I would like to add heavy weightlifting in order to prevent injuries as well as weight loss. I run 4-5 times a week (15-20mpw). How do you add WL in you schedule? What exercises do you do? I'm new here, running friends are always welcomed!!

Replies

• Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    I am training for a tri..and I started the opposite of you...lifted then added running..

my schedule is like this..

mon and friday I lift for 1hr and do 30 min row(but you could do run...I'm doing kayak for my tri- closest match is row)
    Tues Run(or rest day)
    Wed Run(or rest)
    Thurs bootcamp
    Sat Bike(or kayak) and run (3 hrs)
    Sun Bike (1hr)

Temporarily I cut my lift days from 3 two 2...to train more for the tri..

Shoot..forgot to mention exercises I do.. :blushing: I mainly do barbell training.. I find its simple...gets the job done and I dont have to fiddle with machines...or weird exercises that vary each week..

It's basically squats/deadlifts/bench press and clean and press or you could do overhead presses... Some do not like to do cardio with lift days..but its a personal thing... you need to warm up your muscles before you lift (at least 10 mins)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    i've doing it the opposite way around. have always been a lifter and now i'm adding in running.

what i've been doing is running on my non lifting days so it's 3 days a week of lifting and 3 days of running. i have 1 long run day (60 mins) and the other days are 30 minutes. at the moment my legs are jello but once i get used to it i'll be adding more time to the 30 minute runs so that eventually i can have 3-60 minute runs a week

as for lifting i do a something close to strong lifts and starting strength, so it's a 5*5 strength training program where i focus on compund movements like squats (back squats, front squats, overhead squats), deadlifts, bench press, olympic lifts, and overhead press
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    I'm working at this from the other side...Started with weights and now trying to add in running (a.k.a. Walking with some jogging intervals to build up endurance )

I would approach it the same way though. Set the # of days you're going to work out that week and just start adding in just a day so that you can get a feel of how WT affects your running, then after a 2-3 weeks add another and so on until you get the mix you want.

Currently I'm working on setting 6 days a week, 3 and 3 for the cardio and strength training.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Hi JB,
    I am no expert. But I do both. Running coaches nowadays seem to say that strength training will help prevent injuries.
    I started because I tend to get plantar fasciitis and weight training gave me a chance to get a work out, without the pounding of heading down the road. Then, I had knee surgery last year (ACL, done playing soccer) and I needed to strengthen my repaired knee.
    I am not against spending time in the gym. But, I do find that if I lift heavy, I do not run as well the next day. My legs are tired and I just cannot go.
    Course, I may be the only one. I have never seen anyone else on here mention that.
    Now that my knee has gotten stronger and better, and I am running more again, I am only lifting about twice a week.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    I lift and run. I focus more on my running than my lifting. I run four days a week and lift two. That seems to keep me relatively injury free (knock on wood). I do not lift super heavy like I used to (I used to be a power lifter) or else there is nothing left for the next day's run.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    I mix HIIT as cadio and my weight lifting as such.

HIIT (Monday through Friday)
    - Walk the track once to start.
    - One walking lap of dynamic stretches (butt kicks, knee/leg lifts, etc)
    - Two sets of 8 tires flips in rapid succession and then sprint 100 meters.
    - Brisk walk (4.0mph pace) 100 meters
    - 50 meters of lunges then sprint the next 50 meters
    - Brisk walk another 100 meters
    - Back to two sets of 8 tire flips
    - Repeat for 30-40 minutes.

I also mix in bleacher sprints, box jumps, and other body weight exercises. After that I hit the gym and work a body group.

Monday - Chest, shoulder, bicep
    Tuesday - Back and tricep
    Wednesday - no lifiting
    Thursday - Core, abs, endurance lifiting
    Friday - Full circuit
    Saturday - distance run
    Sunday - rest

Total workout time is usually about an hour with a quick stretch to cool down.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    If you're lifting heavy, and you want it to support your running, twice a week is plenty. Do it on your low mileage days, to ensure you can still have solid rest days. Start with a good compound lifting programme (e.g starting strength).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I alternate running and lifting days. Usually three days a week of each.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    I used to do weight training (3x per week) primarily and do 1 day of running and 1 day of spin for basic cardio. Recently, I began training for a marathon, so I'm shifting my focus to running. To be honest, I'm cutting the spin class and going to go down to 1 strength day a week. I'm usually sore for like 3 days post strength workout, so anything more would be detrimental to my runs. But, if you aren't crazy like me, you should be fine with 2-3 stength days to supplement your running.