What should be your "largest" meal?

Currently struggling with weight loss, I constantly take two steps forward and one step back with my workouts. I do not eat horribly, I've always ate more on the healthy side except for a few treats here and there, but I realized I've gained weight and need to get it off. I started two and a half weeks ago getting back into the workout routine, counting my calories and watching my sodium/sugar/carb intake.

Question is, which meal should be your largest/heaviest meal of the day? I heard breakfast should be, but I am not sure if that's right.

Any input would be great. Thanks.

Replies

• emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    I usually eat 5-6 small meals equal in size.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I would absolutely let personal preference, lifestyle, and performance/adherence dictate this.

Given the same total calorie intake it's not going to matter. The idea that you need to eat bigger meals earlier so that you burn it off before bed is basically nonsense as far as net fat gain/loss go.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    My best days of losing (and sanity) are when I have really even days of 200-250 cals at every meal (5 meals day, breakfast, midmorning, lunch, afternoon, dinner).
  • Mine is usually lunch. Because I get the most work done after that and need some fuel.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    i'm always hungry at night, so dinner.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    I would absolutely let personal preference, lifestyle, and performance/adherence dictate this.

Given the same total calorie intake it's not going to matter. The idea that you need to eat bigger meals earlier so that you burn it off before bed is basically nonsense as far as net fat gain/loss go.
    QFT
  • zlxoxo
    zlxoxo Posts: 7
    I have always made a point to have a 'huge' breakfast, mainly because I run first thing on an empty stomach and when I get back om running on nothing. Right now I'm doing about a 350 cal split on all my meals (6) for the day, you need to find what works for you.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member

QFT

Just wanted to reiterate how spot on this is. Have a nice night!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    I amI not certain but I think the logic there is that if you eat a good hearty breakfast you won't be battling hunger all day and that is good. i eat a satisfying breakfast and satisfying lunch...but I view those meals as fuel for my day...yes i eat food I enjoy but mostly i eat to fuel myself. Dinner is not always as easy to plan with my life etc and I leave myself the most caloric room for dinner. It is what works for me. I enjoy having choices and options at night. I usually leave a little wiggle room for a snack after the kids go to bed too.

There will be no "One size fits all" answer. you have to do what you feel like you can do every day...a neighbor of mine "gasp" does not eat breakfast at all as she is not hungry...she has a light snack at 10:30 ish then eats a nice lunch at 1...with a big dinner ...
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    What ever suits you better. For me it's night time. Really doesn't matter either way x
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Plenty of research has shown that meal size and spacing doesn't matter, so long as you aren't overeating.

Personally, I like about 600 cals for breakfast, 500-600 for lunch and 500-600 for dinner. Then everything else is snacking. The great thing about this method is that the meals alone fit nicely into my sedentary calorie requirements. Then I just modify my snacking to fit my activity level. Consistent meal structure makes life easier, I find.
  • MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    I constantly take two steps forward and one step back with my workouts.

That's still moving forward... just not at the rate you had wished.
  • rubixcyoob
    rubixcyoob Posts: 395
    Depends on my schedule for the day.

If I'm working I tend to eat more before work at 4pm, as by the time I'm home at 8.30pm I don't want to eat a lot. Sometimes I'll have spaced meals of the same calorie value before work, other times I'll have a 'normal' breakfast, a large lunch and then some snack things in work - nakd bars etc - followed by eggs and a smoothie after.

On days I'm not working it just depends on my day - where I am, what I am doing etc. I tend not to focus too much of how much I am eating when, just ensuring I eat the correct food and the correct amount needed in a day - regardless of when that intake actually happens.
  • Thanks for all of the input. I really appreciate it!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Doesn't really matter. Staying at a calorie deficit is most important followed by macronutrients. Build your meals around your day. Obviously, days may vary and you may have to eat smaller throughout the day to save calories for an evening event. Keep it simple and stay at a deficit.